UNDERclock nVidia GeForce GTX 675M(Black Screen and Soundloop) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

UNDERclock nVidia GeForce GTX 675M(Black Screen and Soundloop)

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi all,
I'm having issues with my laptop (specs below) during gaming where the screen goes black and the last sound gets played in a soundloop. I've read a lot about this on the internet and it seems like a lot of people are having the same issue. I've tried almost everything I could find to fix the issue, to no avail:
  • Updating drivers
  • cleaning out the case and removing dust
  • monitoring temperatures - temps are all normal

I recently read somewhere that some people were able to solve this issue by underclocking their GPU, and since I haven't tried this yet, I thought I'd give it a shot. Since I'm new to over/underclocking, I was hoping to get help on doing this.

Here are my Laptop Specs:
Model/make : Alienware M17x R4
GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 675M
Processor: Intel Core i7-3720QM

I have nVidia Inspector installed to change the GPU clock settings, the defaults being:

I read that underclocking by ~40 MHz solved the problem for a couple of people. Below are my questions:
  • How should I go about doing this? What are the possible ways I can do damage?
  • What do the performance levels on the top of the overclocking pane mean? Which level should I make changes to?
  • A short explanation of each option(slider) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all! I'm really frustrated with this problem, as anyone who has had the same problem will have known. Any help is appreciated. Please ask for more info about the system if you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 10:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 46)
The best thing you can try to do is remove all 3rd party software overclocking tools and gpuID software. Then clean your current drivers with DDU. Just boot this software in safe-mode and run clean and restart.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

then do a custom install only selecting phys x and graphics driver.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/102999/en-us

If the problem persists I may be suspecting a GPU overheating issue causing the screen blacking. If you are feeling adventurous you could always try reapplying arctic silver 5 to the GPU. Among-st other things try keeping the fan at 100% with MSI afterburner and or speed-fan. Use powermizer to reduce heat during idle, and possibly use an aftermarket laptop coolers. They can work as well.

Best of luck

I did Latty's Linux Challenge and I now have tried Linux! 2cents.gif

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thanks for your response. I've already reapplied thermal paste on my GPU, and I am using HWinfo to maximize my fan speeds. I also monitor my temperatures, and I haven't noticed any high temps. In addition, the laptop sits on a cooling pad, so I very much doubt that heat is the issue here. I will try completely removing the driver and GPUID software and do a clean install. Will return with news about how that went.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in