I'm having issues with my laptop (specs below) during gaming where the screen goes black and the last sound gets played in a soundloop. I've read a lot about this on the internet and it seems like a lot of people are having the same issue. I've tried almost everything I could find to fix the issue, to no avail:
- Updating drivers
- cleaning out the case and removing dust
- monitoring temperatures - temps are all normal
I recently read somewhere that some people were able to solve this issue by underclocking their GPU, and since I haven't tried this yet, I thought I'd give it a shot. Since I'm new to over/underclocking, I was hoping to get help on doing this.
Here are my Laptop Specs:
Model/make : Alienware M17x R4
GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 675M
Processor: Intel Core i7-3720QM
OS: Windows 10, 64 bit
I have nVidia Inspector installed to change the GPU clock settings, the defaults being:
I read that underclocking by ~40 MHz solved the problem for a couple of people. Below are my questions:
- How should I go about doing this? What are the possible ways I can do damage?
- What do the performance levels on the top of the overclocking pane mean? Which level should I make changes to?
- A short explanation of each option(slider) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all! I'm really frustrated with this problem, as anyone who has had the same problem will have known. Any help is appreciated. Please ask for more info about the system if you need it.