Pascal Bios Editor - Any news? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Pascal Bios Editor - Any news?

post #21 of 290 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 09:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniPurple View Post

do u have any clue on what language the bios is based on? I can try to learn it and make an editor.

Yes. If you were to take the bios itself and look at it, it would be machine language. That is, it would be raw binary, and you would have to divide it up into bytes and then be comfortable enough with both assembly and the chip's instruction set to interpret what is going on. A decompiler of sorts might be able to help with that.

From there, assuming clock management is done internally, you would need the datasheets of the NVIDIA chip in order to find the address/register of the clock multiplier and divider. Then you could probably search that and find where these registers are being set, and change those values.

It would be nice if things were as simple as you say, where there would be just a bunch of C++ text files or INI files you could edit. But these languages only exist to make the development readable by humans until it is parsed and turned into raw binary.

Basically, instead of being given the works of Shakespeare, finding out the language, and then editing the course of the stories, you are basically just given the raw neural information from Shakespeare's brain, displayed by an arrangement of cracker crumbs and birthday candles. And of course, NVIDIA was nice enough to shake it in a paper bag then melt it solid in epoxy.

Thanks for the offer of effort, though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 290 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:50 AM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 177 (Unique: 117)
This isn't even the issue though. It would already be done if understanding the binary was all it took.

Sadly it is encrypted, it will not flash a bios which hasn't been properly signed with a public/private key concept. This means that to understand it you first have to decrypt it, modify it, and then have the key to be able to re-encrypt it correctly.
post #23 of 290 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:30 PM
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 498 (Unique: 263)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

This isn't even the issue though. It would already be done if understanding the binary was all it took.

Sadly it is encrypted, it will not flash a bios which hasn't been properly signed with a public/private key concept. This means that to understand it you first have to decrypt it, modify it, and then have the key to be able to re-encrypt it correctly.

The technology exists to sign new BIOS'.... the STOCK BIOS' had to be signed and that's what we need.. Technically we just need the tool/process that the vendors user (unless NVIDIA keeps it in-house, then in that case we need it from them...).

Someone needs to just accidentally let it fall of the back of the truck biggrin.gif

(or bypass the whole thing completely...)

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 290 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I suppose that everything is kept at Nvidia laboratories and none want to lose his job. wink.gif

PNY GTX970 reference 81% with EK full waterblock
post #25 of 290 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 06:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I was really happy with my gtx 1060 6gb.. Until I found out they cucked me.

Now I hate my gtx 1060 6gb.

Sure hope Vega brings it!

Owner of a Opteron 190.
post #26 of 290 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

The technology exists to sign new BIOS'.... the STOCK BIOS' had to be signed and that's what we need.. Technically we just need the tool/process that the vendors user (unless NVIDIA keeps it in-house, then in that case we need it from them...).

Someone needs to just accidentally let it fall of the back of the truck biggrin.gif

I suspect bypassing is what MacVidCards is doing? i.e. programming the BIOS directly onto the chip? Is what validates the signature just the flasher program? If so that's the easy way to bypass it right there...
post #27 of 290 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:13 PM
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 498 (Unique: 263)
Puzzle Piece! yessir.gif

thumb.gif

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #28 of 290 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 06:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

MSI and other vendors overclock using the bios... if only we knew their ways.... thinking.gif
post #29 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 17)
The percentage controller allows you to effectively increase the voltage within predefined limits recommended by Nvidia. You can always set the slider to the max spec, however that would reduce the life span of your GPU to one year. - Tom Petersen

Is this guy serious? kidding me? kill me. mad.gif
post #30 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 105 (Unique: 82)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucode View Post

There was a thread started long ago with some good info but was closed.

For instance https://www.overclock.net/t/1601329/gtx-1070-1080-titan-x-2nd-gen-bios-who-has-it/110#post_25319052

And Joe Dirt mentioned quite some time ago about Hulk certificates for Pascal BIOS tweaking but AFAIK no one approached manufacturers to request them using the user request option in nvflash. Possibly the mention of money and no free lunch might have had something to do with it and probably the whole idea is now on the scrap heap now due to lack of participation.

I did talk to an MSI rep but she said by getting that Hulk cert, I would have to both prove that: I have an MSI GTX 1080ti card, I'm a pro overclocker and I need to void my warranty. I obviously didn't qualify for the 2nd point lol. So I went fck it and bought Gigabyte.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in