GTX 970 mini - undervolting fixed black screen and allowed to overclock, but why? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GTX 970 mini - undervolting fixed black screen and allowed to overclock, but why?

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Question GTX 970 mini - undervolting fixed black screen and allowed to overclock, but why?

Hello all, I'd like to share my weird experience with tweaking my graphic card.

My card model is GV-N970IXOC-4GD - Gigabyte GTX 970 mini OC. When I bought it like 2 years ago, I didn't like how much noise it's generated under load, so I switched the stock cooling to Arctic Accelero Mono Plus. The temps went down from 80C to 60C under full load and it was reaaaally quiet. I was happy with that result, but pretty soon some problems started to show up.

After couple of weeks when playing some games, I started getting black screen with sound issues (pretty know issue). The list of games which had this issue was pretty random, here are some examples:
Games which worked OK - League of Legends, Witcher 3, all Mass Effects, Starcraft 2, Path of Exile.
Games with black screen issue: Grim Dawn, Battlefield 1, Tomb Rider games, Far Cry 4 and Primal.
I didn't see much connection between the games, Grim Dawn is not GPU intensive and it crashed. Witcher 3 is GPU intensive and it didn't crash.

I fixed that witch just underclocking the core frequency to be max 1200 mhz under full load. The card was quiet, so I was happy with that result. Lately I have started to tinker a bit, to maybe somehow overclock it. Giving the card more power or overclocking it even by 10mhz resulted in black screen again. I could only overclock the memory by +300mhz with no issues. So I started tinkering with Bios.

I tried different settings, tested in some benchmarks, nothing seemed to work, until I finally had a brakethrough - completely changing the bios to have:
- the max core clock boost at 1329 mhz
- max voltage at 1.162V
- memory clock at 3800 mhz
- max power target at 97%

Previous clocks:
Boost:1241 MHz/ Base: 1101 MHz in OC Mode
Boost:1216 MHz/ Base: 1076 MHz in Gaming Mode

It also resulted with lowering the temperature to 53C max under full load when playing games like Kingdom Come or Witcher 3 for couple of hours. So I both overclocked and lowered the power consumption. 0 black screen.

So now... What the actual F? Why does this work and with any higher voltage I was getting the black screen? Maybe my GPU VRM's were getting too hot with higher voltage - but was that even possible with only 60C on GPU core? Well, I do have additional heatsinks all over the card, I even installed a small 40mm fan right above the VRM's. It didn't change anything.

How is that even possible to both overclock and undervolt?

Last edited by Pivuu; 03-16-2018 at 02:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 03:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

This is very interesting, I have the same card with the same black screen problem, only happens in some games. I've noticed it seems to black screen when there is a large change in power going to the card.

Do you know what your ASIC % is?

Could you post the bios? I'd like to use.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:02 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Oh thanks god I've found that thread! I have the same graphics card (GTX 970 mini) and I have the same issues! It just blackscreens me in not so demanding games and never blackscreens me in games like Witcher 3.
But I have a question: how do I change my bios? How did YOU change your bios? NiBiTor doesn't support newer video-cards, I can't seem to undervolt my GPU in MSI Afterburner (it only allows me to overvolt it - the meter starts with 0 and goes +1 +2 ). Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 09:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Pivuu View Post
Hello all, I'd like to share my weird experience with tweaking my graphic card.

My card model is GV-N970IXOC-4GD - Gigabyte GTX 970 mini OC. When I bought it like 2 years ago, I didn't like how much noise it's generated under load, so I switched the stock cooling to Arctic Accelero Mono Plus. The temps went down from 80C to 60C under full load and it was reaaaally quiet. I was happy with that result, but pretty soon some problems started to show up.

After couple of weeks when playing some games, I started getting black screen with sound issues (pretty know issue). The list of games which had this issue was pretty random, here are some examples:
Games which worked OK - League of Legends, Witcher 3, all Mass Effects, Starcraft 2, Path of Exile.
Games with black screen issue: Grim Dawn, Battlefield 1, Tomb Rider games, Far Cry 4 and Primal.
I didn't see much connection between the games, Grim Dawn is not GPU intensive and it crashed. Witcher 3 is GPU intensive and it didn't crash.

I fixed that witch just underclocking the core frequency to be max 1200 mhz under full load. The card was quiet, so I was happy with that result. Lately I have started to tinker a bit, to maybe somehow overclock it. Giving the card more power or overclocking it even by 10mhz resulted in black screen again. I could only overclock the memory by +300mhz with no issues. So I started tinkering with Bios.

I tried different settings, tested in some benchmarks, nothing seemed to work, until I finally had a brakethrough - completely changing the bios to have:
- the max core clock boost at 1329 mhz
- max voltage at 1.162V
- memory clock at 3800 mhz
- max power target at 97%

Previous clocks:
Boost:1241 MHz/ Base: 1101 MHz in OC Mode
Boost:1216 MHz/ Base: 1076 MHz in Gaming Mode

It also resulted with lowering the temperature to 53C max under full load when playing games like Kingdom Come or Witcher 3 for couple of hours. So I both overclocked and lowered the power consumption. 0 black screen.

So now... What the actual F? Why does this work and with any higher voltage I was getting the black screen? Maybe my GPU VRM's were getting too hot with higher voltage - but was that even possible with only 60C on GPU core? Well, I do have additional heatsinks all over the card, I even installed a small 40mm fan right above the VRM's. It didn't change anything.

How is that even possible to both overclock and undervolt?
can you spare your bios please i have same gpu with same issue, thanks in advance.

Tags
black screen , gtx 970 , Nvidia , overclocking , voltage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in