Voltage clocks in Maxwell II BIOS Tweaker - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Voltage clocks in Maxwell II BIOS Tweaker

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
KIS
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Voltage clocks in Maxwell II BIOS Tweaker

Hi all,

I've been trying to overclock my 980TIs Hybrid and noticed that the voltage never goes above 1.007 or so even when under full load. I then tried to increase the voltage settings in my bios to achieve a higher voltage for overclocking using the Maxwell tweaker. I noticed that the voltage ranges set out in the voltage clocks in the Voltage Table of the Maxwell tweaker are actually too wide for the corresponding boost clocks in the Boost Table (e.g. at 1228 MHz the voltage range is 1012.5 mV to 1175.0 mV and at 1306 MHz the voltage range is 1068.8 MHz to 1281.3 MHz). The minimum values don't seem adequate for those frequencies. When trying to overclock the cards with Precision XOC, my overclock crashed at about 1300 MHz while the voltage didn't even hit 1.1 V at those frequencies. I assume the cause for this is the very low minimum values of the voltage ranges set for respective frequencies in the bios. I changed both lower and upper limits in voltage clocks 50 to 74 to 1.25 V (the total maximum set in the bios) and adjusted the upper clocks to gradually increase to hit 1.25V at clock 50. I then flashed the bios and saw an improvement in voltages and how much clock offset I could add in Precision XOC. However, the overclock crashed again without reaching the 1.25V maximum set in the bios. I then changed clocks 35 to 49 in the bios to a fixed 1.25V so that clocks 35 through 74 would now be at a fixed maximum. After reflashing the bios the cards won't boost anymore and operate at a stock 885 MHz. If I add a clock offset in Precision XOC or MSI Afterburner, the exact amount of clocks is added to the base clock (e.g. +100 would increase 885 MHz to 985 Mhz). When I run a benchmakr, the gpus are running at the base clocks plus the offset and they won't boost anymore. I've made a clean reinstall of the video drivers, rebooted. Still no boosting.

Could it be that because in the voltage table of the bios there is a significant jump in voltage between clock 34 and 35 (from 1018.8 mV maxt to 1250 mV max), the card somehow disabled boosting?

Was I actually right to set clocks 35-74 to a fixed maximum, was the wide voltage ranges the cause of low voltages during overclocking?

I've seen this guide and I'd be happy to disable boosting and hard lock my GPUs to a fixed maximum frequency in 3D applications but to actually find out this maximum I need to play with frequencies which I can't do because I don't get the maximum voltage from my cards.

I would appreciate some advice from more experienced folk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
maxwell; flashing; voltage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in