Aorus Engine / MSI Afterburner give different overclock results with same settings on RTX 2080 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Aorus Engine / MSI Afterburner give different overclock results with same settings on RTX 2080

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Aorus Engine / MSI Afterburner give different overclock results with same settings on RTX 2080

Hi All,

As the thread title suggests, I've recently got a Gigabyte RTX 2080 OC Gaming card, and am seeing some weirdness when attempting to overclock.

Following gradual increases in both GPU and memory clock, I've found that I can get stable results with GPU clock at 1945 (+130), memory at +1600 MHz (or 800Mhz in MSI), power target at 108% and GPU voltage at +100%.

If I use these settings in Aorus Engine, then I'm seeing boost clocks of up to 2070Mhz, and it's very stable.
In the Port Royal benchmark, I got a score of 6440. See https://www.3dmark.com/pr/22651

If I use MSI Afterburner, with the exact same settings, then it's still stable but I'm seeing much lower boost clocks. The maximum is 1965MHz. With this combination, I'm getting 6163 in Port Royal. See https://www.3dmark.com/pr/22645
I'm at a loss to explain why two seemingly identical settings should give such different results.
In both cases, I've left the fan curves at default, and the card switches off it's fans at idle (again, it's default behaviour). With both tools, temperatures are pretty much identical. Never going over 63 degrees C.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd really appreciate some pointers. I could just use Aorus Engine, but I prefer Afterburner, especially for the stats displays in game.

I've tried using the OC scanner on both tools, but neither gives such good results as the manual overclock. I see the same difference between the two tools if I use a scanner overclock. The Afterburner settings result in slower performance. I'm wondering if Gigabyte are doing something different with the voltage/clock speed curves, which the MSI tool isn't replicating?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 05:19 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 60 (Unique: 47)
Hi,
MSI af one really needs to use voltage curves otherwise it doesn't work well
You can compare the voltage graph and usually see it jumping like a bouncing ball in msi

The other probably has a similar feature like evga xoc has k-boost that keeps the card at max boost plus what clocks are added to it

MSI has similar too in setting to lock constant voltage plus unlock voltage so it will go to say +120%...

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-99400x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
Audio
Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Audio
Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

I recently ordered, received, and installed an EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming (mouthful) GPU. I like using MSI Afterburner over EVGA's Precision software, mostly because it has better OSD functionality. Anyway, what I have noticed since installing the card and using MSI Afterburner is that it's treating core clock like memory clock, effectively doubling it. If I set an overclock of +50MHz on the core clock using MSI, it's effectively +100MHz. Alternatively, I used Precision X1 in which I had to enter +100MHz on the core clock to actually achieve the overclock speed. Not sure why this is. I upgraded from another EVGA card, which was the GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid. MSI behaved normally with that card. I've been searching Google and YouTube for possible reasons for this, but so far this thread is the closest I've come across.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Packet Pusher

Rep: 230 (Unique: 145)
Have you tried the latest version of MSI AB with the OC Scanner?

My Sauce Is Much 13373|2 Than Yours

What's in your hardware wallet?

[Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti Owner's Club]
Project Blackout
(24 items)
CPU
i9 7900X Delidded
Motherboard
ASUS TUF X299 Mark 1
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC BLACK EDITION GAMING
GPU
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB - Samsung B-die DDR4 4000
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB - Samsung B-die DDR4 4000
Hard Drive
4x 1TB Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
2x 480GB Kingston HyperX Savage SSD
Hard Drive
2x ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB 3D NAND
Hard Drive
Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4
Hard Drive
INTEL® RAID ADAPTER RSP3DD080F
Hard Drive
2x 2TB Western Digital Green
Power Supply
CORSAIR HX Series HX1000
Cooling
Custom Water Cooling Setup
Cooling
Bitspower MonoBlock ASX299TUF RGB-Nickel
Case
Thermaltake Core X71 Tempered Glass Edition Black
Operating System
Winders 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Pixio PX276h 27"
Monitor
Acer GN276HL 27"
Monitor
HP EliteDisplay E222 22"
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM - Cherry MX Speed - Gunmetal
Mouse
HP Omen Reactor
Mousepad
Corsair Gaming MM800 RGB Polaris
Audio
Sades SA926 Gaming Headset
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

I do have the latest version of MSI AB installed, but I've hardly messed with OC scanner as I prefer to manually overclock. One other thing of note is that 3DMark keeps telling me I have a generic VGA adapter after each benchmark, and won't validate my score. Yet, 3DMark recognizes my card on the home screen. I freshly reinstalled the Nvidia drivers upon installing this card, and Windows recognizes that it's a RTX 2080. I know it's new architecture, but I still find it odd that tried and true software is having such a hard time with it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:01 AM
Packet Pusher

Quote: Originally Posted by ObscureEmpyre View Post
I do have the latest version of MSI AB installed, but I've hardly messed with OC scanner as I prefer to manually overclock. One other thing of note is that 3DMark keeps telling me I have a generic VGA adapter after each benchmark, and won't validate my score. Yet, 3DMark recognizes my card on the home screen. I freshly reinstalled the Nvidia drivers upon installing this card, and Windows recognizes that it's a RTX 2080. I know it's new architecture, but I still find it odd that tried and true software is having such a hard time with it.
How do you manually overclock? Just up the freq slider or do you use the voltage curve?

OC Scanner does the OC by mapping a freq to a voltage and even if it's not 100% stable under real world load, it gives a darn good starting point for your specific card (since each one is different, thanks silicon lottery). You can tweak the curve from there and end up with a nice stable OC. I have been really happy with it even on my Pascal cards. Found out I have a weak 1080Ti FTW3 that is actually outclocked by an 1080Ti SC Black. By weak I mean it won't do 2087MHz on the stock cooler, LOL!

But I digress. The 3DMark card ID issue is not normal. So, you are running fresh drivers, but did you use DDU to remove the previous install of driver before the reinstall? That issue seems like there's something lingering in the registry somewhere that DDU would clean up. I wish nvidia driver were more reliable. I've had issues just swapping card brands of the same GPU. Went from eVGA FTW3 to a Gigabyte Aorus and the drivers had fits even though they were both 1080Tis. DDU was the only thing that fixed this for me.

Project Blackout
(24 items)
CPU
i9 7900X Delidded
Motherboard
ASUS TUF X299 Mark 1
GPU
GPU
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
CORSAIR HX Series HX1000
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Winders 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Pixio PX276h 27"
Monitor
Acer GN276HL 27"
Monitor
HP EliteDisplay E222 22"
Keyboard
Mouse
HP Omen Reactor
Mousepad
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:21 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 319 (Unique: 231)
Not all cards are perfectly compatible with MSI AB. If you have MSI or reference PCB or at least same controllers are reference PCB you're fine. If you have a custom board well then don't expect MSI AB to work perfectly with your card, it can be possible by default or with tweaked settings in AB but it is not guaranteed.
Sadly the OC tools from other manufacturers are not as good as MSI AB and they tend to be a bit buggy.

If you're getting low clocks from AB's settings, well then use higher offset no? Who said the offsets are same between various OC tools. It's live clocks and volts that matter, not that you typed in +100 in both tools.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 AM
Packet Pusher

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Not all cards are perfectly compatible with MSI AB. If you have MSI or reference PCB or at least same controllers are reference PCB you're fine. If you have a custom board well then don't expect MSI AB to work perfectly with your card, it can be possible by default or with tweaked settings in AB but it is not guaranteed.
Sadly the OC tools from other manufacturers are not as good as MSI AB and they tend to be a bit buggy.

If you're getting low clocks from AB's settings, well then use higher offset no? Who said the offsets are same between various OC tools. It's live clocks and volts that matter, not that you typed in +100 in both tools.
Yup. You may have to add your card and the voltage controller to an .ini file. You can also submit your cards data to the RivaTuner dev and he will add it to the next update.

Project Blackout
(24 items)
CPU
i9 7900X Delidded
Motherboard
ASUS TUF X299 Mark 1
GPU
GPU
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
CORSAIR HX Series HX1000
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Winders 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Pixio PX276h 27"
Monitor
Acer GN276HL 27"
Monitor
HP EliteDisplay E222 22"
Keyboard
Mouse
HP Omen Reactor
Mousepad
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in