GTX 1660ti Third Fan Running High on Idle - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GTX 1660ti Third Fan Running High on Idle

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
GTX 1660ti Third Fan Running High on Idle

Hello everyone.
I wasn't quit sure where to post it. I tried nvidia forum but to no avail.
I bought this https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and all worked perfectly until some days ago.

Issue:
Third fan started to be loud. When i uninstalled drivers using DDU, GPU stopped make noise so i thought it was driver related but afterwards when i installed older version, a version older than my purchase, third fan started to be loud again. So i tried all the following solutions
- I have tried 10 different driver versions and all the same result. So if i am correct it is not a nvidia driver related issue.
- I disconnected and connected again cable including fan cables and led cables but still nothing.
- I switched bios from performance to quit
- I installed vbios form tweak
- I used afterburner, asus tool to control fan but still it couldn't be stopped like third fan have no communication with my computer.
- I disconnected fans,hdds but still nothing.
- Virus wised, I checked GPU,CPU and other components utilization about malware,miners etc but all was good. Even temperature is low about 30 degrees, probably due to fan running fast when doing nothing.

I didn't try:
- Change PCI slot
- New Windows Installation
- Change motherboard bios
- Different PSU

It seems that nowadays Nvidia control panel is not installed with any drivers and i cannot do nothing more advanced on GPU.
The only think that seemed to work for at least until i restart twice my computer was when i disconnected my GPU from PCI and plugged it in. I did not try again but i wanted to reach someone for help before doing it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:06 AM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 31 (Unique: 27)
I have a dual fan GPU. A few months back one fan died and it caused the other fan to run at full speed all the time. Once I replaced the dead fan the other fan went back to normal.

So based on my experience, maybe one of your GPU fans died.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Seems correct but why it stop making sound when i uninstalled drivers? I mean shouldn't make noise even when drivers are not installed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:43 AM
Graphics Junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by thominho View Post
Seems correct but why it stop making sound when i uninstalled drivers? I mean shouldn't make noise even when drivers are not installed?
Not sure, I never tried uninstalling the driver on mine but if I remember correctly, the fan didn't go full speed until windows booted up (and loaded the driver), during boot the fan was normal. I suspect the fans are controlled by the driver.

Easy to check, just look at your GPU while it's on and if one fan isn't spinning properly, you know that's the issue.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I will test that when drivers uninstalled all fans are disabled and i will report back.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I uninstalled all drivers and all fans were disabled so coudn't verify you see my GPU will not open fans if it is not required. However, someone on Nvidia suggested a Older Driver version as late as march and i used it and it seemed it got better. However it was still too loud. So i tried one of my rest options, I disconnected my GPU entirely from motherboard and i switched to Quiet Bios and for now it is fine. I think something has to do with Performance Bios and Drivers for now. I communicated with seller and thanks god my country (Greece) has ASUS service and i can request service.So if nothing works i will Request Service. Do you happen to know any way to communicate with Nvidia or Asus about GTX 1660ti drivers? Because each time i try to start a chat it pop up a "Chat is unavailable" and it drives me crazy

Last edited by thominho; 08-28-2019 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Forgot something to say
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:38 AM
Graphics Junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by thominho View Post
I uninstalled all drivers and all fans were disabled so coudn't verify you see my GPU will not open fans if it is not required. However, someone on Nvidia suggested a Older Driver version as late as march and i used it and it seemed it got better. However it was still too loud. So i tried one of my rest options, I disconnected my GPU entirely from motherboard and i switched to Quiet Bios and for now it is fine. I think something has to do with Performance Bios and Drivers for now. I communicated with seller and thanks god my country (Greece) has ASUS service and i can request service.So if nothing works i will Request Service. Do you happen to know any way to communicate with Nvidia or Asus about GTX 1660ti drivers? Because each time i try to start a chat it pop up a "Chat is unavailable" and it drives me crazy
Pretty weird that it would be a driver issue. Did you make sure all your fans are spinning? I've also never heard of a bios setting having any affect on the gpu fans. The bios should not control the gpu fans.

Never tried to contact Nvidia.

Maybe one of your fans war just stuck and fiddling with it made it unstuck.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Pretty weird that it would be a driver issue. Did you make sure all your fans are spinning? I've also never heard of a bios setting having any affect on the gpu fans. The bios should not control the gpu fans.

Never tried to contact Nvidia.

Maybe one of your fans war just stuck and fiddling with it made it unstuck.
Yes i used official asus tool and i put 100% and all fans worked correctly and with sound quieter than what it usually made. I am very confused really, never had a problem like this. Usually it is straightfoward, malfunctioned GPU or other component, change it or RMA, finish. But if i send this to Manufacturer i am 100% they will return it to me back. Nevermind i will stay on Quit Mode/Bios and i will wait and see what will happen. Nevertherless, thank you for your time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in