I think i've destroyed my graphics card :(. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

I think i've destroyed my graphics card :(.

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Basically, i have a 7300 nvidia graphics card and i decided to overclock it a little bit at a time using the nvidia overclock function. It said overclock failed, and then instantly the screen messed up badly, the whole image was distorted, scrambled lines and everything. So i restarted the computer, and for two seconds the GUI looked fine, then it happened again.

What have i done? and how do i fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Hit F8 before the OS loads. Boot into Windows Safe Mode. Disable or reset the overclocking app. Reboot.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 293 (Unique: 220)
Make sure the program that you overclocked it with isn't starting with windows and OCing the card right off the bat. Also if you can try the card in another computer.

I don't reply to trolls.

RIP SyrillianWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian go_quote.gif

Woohoo!

Well done you zombie stompin', Best Buy dissin' Lion Man!

applaud.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 117)
Both are right. Make sure any overclocks on your card have been reset using the method Duckie has laid out.

You'd be surprised what these cards are capable of taking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmaBum9
OSs are only as secure as the user that runs them. No amount of code can fix stupid.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Also, note.... most overclocking apps allow you to disable them during the OS load. You just have to hold down a key combination. I just forgot the command for each app therefore the Safe Mode method will always work.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 105 (Unique: 94)
Also the 7300 is a very slow card. Overclocking probably won't do much to help even w/ a 400% overclock.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1498229170.png

2013 Games I want
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Forza 5(?)
Battlefield 4
Saints Row 4
GTA V
East vs West
Soul Sacrifice
ARMA 3
Rainbow Six: Patrios
Killzone: Mercenary
FFX:HD
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I managed to fix it!

I basically couldn't put it into safe mode, which is a whole other issue, so i hit f2, changed the primary graphics adapter to onboard, put the monitor plug in the built in graphics card, and then when it loaded to desktop, disabled the software. Completletely backwards i know, but as i said, safe mode wasn't working.

Thanks a million guys, you're all really helpful.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 89 (Unique: 78)
don't forget to fill out your system specs

mITX Game-Theater PC
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 117)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamboy View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I managed to fix it!

I basically couldn't put it into safe mode, which is a whole other issue, so i hit f2, changed the primary graphics adapter to onboard, put the monitor plug in the built in graphics card, and then when it loaded to desktop, disabled the software. Completletely backwards i know, but as i said, safe mode wasn't working.

Thanks a million guys, you're all really helpful.
Nice work around.

Glad it worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmaBum9
OSs are only as secure as the user that runs them. No amount of code can fix stupid.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:48 PM

Glad your back on board, From the get go what you explained is a memory being OCed and not handling it. This time try to OC the GPU instead of the memory. This way all that will happen is a freeze or something worse, worse being a GPU getting too hot. But as noted earlier a GPU getting too hot is no harm either as Ive seen people playing games with 110c temp lol ,,, Soo be safe and GL ,,,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in