Overclocking Asus N6600 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Overclocking Asus N6600

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi, since I've upgraded my card from a N5900 128mb to a N6600 256mb (PCI-e) I have noticed a lot of improvement in a lot of games but for some reason San Andreas runs very slow when the settings are on very high and has 3xAA even though the 5900 ran this setting flawlessly so I figured this was because the 5900 had higher clockspeeds and was 256bit so I decided to overclock the N6600 to get some extra performance.

I used the Asus smartdoctor software to do this and I started to notice a lot of difference when I went over 40Mhz overclock on both the core and memory, I then got the card stable on 380/580 (stock 300/500) but eventually when I got to 400/610 (the furthest smartdoctor would allow) I started to get severe artifacts in San Andreas.

I always thought that the N6600 was a good overclocker as I have seen people getting it to 500/680 on stock cooling, but I was wondering about the problem being my power supply which is a decent Bestek 350w with 15A on the 12v rail, any ideas or should I just keep it on 380/580 as this was the safest setting and I did get a noticable performance boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Administrator

The power supply will not be causing the problem for your card.
Getting lots of artifacts means that the card is either getting too hot or you have set the clocks too high. You could buy a better cooler if you wish to but I would expect that the program you are using might be hindering your overclocking. Try downloading and using coolbits or RivaTuner and see if they will allow you to overclock the card even further.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm now using Coolbits 2.0 and so far and I've pushed the clock to 342/578 and it is stable. It's amazing how much of a performance boost I am getting, I got another 5fps on San Andreas and I have gone from 49.8 fps on Doom 3 on Ultra quality to 53.5fps with no artifacting.

Do you think this is a safe overclock or do you think I should push it some more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleknacker
I'm now using Coolbits 2.0 and so far and I've pushed the clock to 342/578 and it is stable. It's amazing how much of a performance boost I am getting, I got another 5fps on San Andreas and I have gone from 49.8 fps on Doom 3 on Ultra quality to 53.5fps with no artifacting.

Do you think this is a safe overclock or do you think I should push it some more?
Sounds safe to me, does your card have a temperature sensor on it?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

No it doesn't, smartdoctor never had a temp sensor either so I'm just going to have to take my chances. I used the detect optimal frequencies option, ran some intensive games and it was stable then I added another 5Mhz on the core and ran some more testing and again it is stable. I don;t think the temp will go that high because I haven't oc'd it much compared to what other people have done with this card on stcok cooling. Should I keep it how it is or increase the core a little more?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

could I use this method to get temp readings?

https://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?threadid=16387
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
No it doesn't, smartdoctor never had a temp sensor either so I'm just going to have to take my chances. I used the detect optimal frequencies option, ran some intensive games and it was stable then I added another 5Mhz on the core and ran some more testing and again it is stable. I don;t think the temp will go that high because I haven't oc'd it much compared to what other people have done with this card on stcok cooling. Should I keep it how it is or increase the core a little more?
Now that is upto you. Personally I would take it as high as possible without any artifacts. You could also try different drivers like the XtremeG's as they may allow you to overclock more.

In responce to your other post the answer is no, thats only for 6600GT's.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I have got my 6600 to 377/578 stable without any artifacts and I've got a big boost in performance, I could take the core up possibly another 20Mhz or even more but I think I'm in a safe haven with these settings. The only temperature sensor i've got is for my Intel board and while it won't be able to tell the card temp it shows that the system zones are normal.

Also just checked my CS Source framerate with the video stress test and I've gone from 75 to 89fps, very happy now!

Anyway thanks for your help.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 04:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
u should try like 3DMark03 or 05 that will put ur card through hell!!

good program for finding artifacts and benchmarking!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 04:15 PM

Quote:
could I use this method to get temp readings?

https://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?threadid=16387

To correct The_manual

Yes you can use that to enable temp sensor.

I used that to get the temp sensor on my 6200

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in