Sapphire R9 290 + Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV + VRM mod - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Sapphire R9 290 + Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV + VRM mod

post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 16)
I think, I should share my little experience with cooling down reference SAPPHIRE R9 290. wink.gif
I didn't like those high temperatures and noise coming from the reference design, so I was thinking about proper solution.
And my choice?
Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV, plus I was going to solve VRM temps by custom made aluminium heatsinks.thumb.gif

Anyway, I had to do a lot of measurments before actually doing some cuts.
Also the plastic clips, which hold the big black heatsink at back of the card, had to be mounted at proper place (there is a possible collision of one plastic clip with chipset heatsink of my MSI Z87 Mpower SP).
This was my rough drawing:

I cut both VRM heatsinks and 16 little memory heatsinks from these two aluminium blocks.
One of them had to be modified because of collision with mounting bracket of Accelero:

Another was making a little contact with Accelero's heatpipe:

I mounted those memory heatsinks at card by 0,5mm thick Alphacool double-sided thermal adhesive pad. Holds much better than Akasa's equivalent. thumb.gif
Sorry, I forgot to take more photos of VRM heatsinks before I put them on card.doh.gif
Hope this is enough:

For installation of VRM heatsinks I used 2 screws to bolt them right through proper holes at card.
As thermal pad I used 2 layers of Phobya XT thermal pad 1mm, giving me enough space to avoid any contact with card's components but VRM's.
For safety's sake I stuck Alphacool double-sided thermal adhesive pad on dangerous places because of possible short circuit.
After I installed VRM heatsinks on card, found out last collision with graphics card holder, so I had to make last cut to smaller VRM heatsink:

After all this, I was finished with "front" side of the card.
So, I had to start dealing with Accelero and "back" of the card.
As thermal paste between Accelero and core I used GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound.
The "back" of the card was a little tricky, I had to find "hot places" (VRM's), then cut holes into protective film for thick blue thermal pads and place black foam above core and big black heatsink at proper position. And finally secure Accelero:

Almost 1,5 kg, oh boy. wink.gif

Later I turned around the Accelero's plastic shroud with fans (the plastic with sign Arctic Acellero... is now close to PCI-E conector of motherboard) and then I removed all stickers from Accelero.
Btw., I must say, that removing card from PCI-E locking mechanism is a real pain. That big black heatsink is blocking locking mechanism at motherboard, so you have to unclick it with some long and thin wire or something. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
It's shame, that I didn't do a proper temperature testing with reference cooling, but I saw temps like 85-90°C for core and 70-80°C for VRM's with ridiculous noise, so with this Accelero mod it's a big improvement and with a less noise.
After I was done with installation (april 2014), I did 5 min. FurMark test with my old setup (4670k, other fans, CPU cooler,...). I think the ambient temp was 20°C.
Here is result:

Now, with my current rig, I've done this quick pass of Fire Strike with my settings for everyday use (all power savings, quiet fans,...). Air temp at intake area was 21°C:

And here is a quick pass of Fire Strike with my overclock settings (max. overclock, gpu has 200mV offset, 100% fans,...). Air temp at intake area was 21°C:

I noticed one thing, after couple of weeks, the temps of the core started rising slowly. When I checked card, 4 main screws, which holds Accelero, was loosen. I had to tighten them. Temps stabilized, but just to be sure, I added under the card a little support (flashlight FTW:D)

I'm really happy with the temps and quietness of my rig and I hope this "review" will be helpful to all, who are struggling with high temps or using 3rd party coolers. thumb.gif
Of course, any questions, observations and suggestions will be appreciated. wink.gif

Btw. I'm sorry for any grammar mistakes, English is not my native language.

BIG EDIT:

So after some time, I decided to get rid off that big backplate.
Don't get me wrong, temps were great, but I didn't like a few things.
It was painful to pull card from PCI-E conector, backplate just blocked it. Also the PCB was twisted and warped because of those plastic clips holding backplate on the card. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

A little voice in my head just screamed for getting card's cooling to another level. devil-smiley-019.gif

I found some M2 screws and used them with reference mounting plate to get proper pressure between core and accelero.

I used two aluminium profiles, small piece of Fujipoly Ultra Extreme Thermal Pad and black EK-FC R9-290X Backplate.

For easier preparing work, I detached aluminium plate from reference cooler and used it as the basis for measurement.

Some electric and hand tools were used:
multi grinder, cordless drill, circular sawbench, metal files, jaw vice, hack-saw,...

And what can I say, it just took a lot of work to get everything done: wink.gif

To install EK backplate, I drilled into heatsink M2 screw holes at proper places. M3 screws were used on remaining places.

Safety comes first, I covered small parts on PCB with Alphacool double-sided thermal adhesive pad to avoid short curcuit.

There were used Phobya XT thermal pads 0,5mm thick on memory chips, on VRM2 same pads 1mm thick. On VRM1 I used Fujipoly Ultra Extreme Thermal Pad 1mm thick. Between accelero and core was used Gelid GC-Extreme Thermal Compound.

Here's a quick test in GPU-Z and compared to same test I did right after I took off that big Accelero's backplate:

Before: After:

The ambient temp was a little higher (+ 1,2°C) on second test. Only temp drop (-8°C) was for VRM1 strip, so I'm guessing Fujipoly is responsible for that (+ bigger heatsink of course).

Before taking off that big Accelero's backplate I did simple 30min test, so I did it also with new VRM heatsink (still without EK backplate) at same ambient temp:
Before: After:

I think nice temp drop against that black Accelero's backplate. wink.gif

But with newer VRM heatsink Furmark showed almost the same temps as with Accelero's backplate:
Before: Old 5 min burn-in test of FurMark with big black Accelero's backplate and smaller VRM heatsinks. After: New 5 min burn-in test of Furmark with new VRM heatsink and still without EK's backplate.

However I am hoping for little lower temp after instalation of EK's backplate. wheee.gif

Right now I'm waiting for delivery of EK backplate to complete this mod, so I'm gonna make final update later. wave2.gif

Update on EK's backplate:

Backplate arrived and I could finally get my hands on it.
I had to do some modifications around core's area because of the mounting plate from reference cooler.

Then I placed thermal pads on back of the card:

EK's backplate should be screwed into card by M3 srews, not M2 as I thought. Luckily I had some M2 screws at home which could be used there.

I did same tests to compare results with an without EK's backplate:

8 min. in GPU-Z:
Without: With:

Ambient temps was higher (+3,3 °C), so core temp is pretty much the same, VRM1 temp went down (-2,3 °C) and VRM2 also went down a little (-1,3 °C).

30 min. in GPU-Z:

Again, ambient temps was higher (+3,5 °C), core temp didn't change, VRM1 temp went down (-1,5 °C) and VRM2 also went down a little (-1,5 °C).

5 min. in FurMark burn-in test:

Ambient temp was again higher in these days (+2,5 °C), core temp didn't change much (-0,5 °C), VRM1 went down (-4,5 °C) and VRM2 temp went up a little (+ 0,5 °C).

What can I say, I just like how this mod turned out, how it performs and also how it looks. Thx for watching. thumb.gif

And finally, this is how the mod looks in my rig right now:

Case: Jonsbo RM4 mod PSU: Corsair RM750 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 4x4GB GPU: Sapphire 5700XT + Raijintech Morpheus mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Did you find the backplate was essential? I have a r9 290 and a arctic cooling accelero hybrid II-120 which I'm likely about to attach today. It has a similar backplate but uses an aio water cooler for the gpu. However I'm using an mitx case which has maybe 1/4in clearance between half the gpu and the psu I have so the backplate will def not fit.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Did you find the backplate was essential? I have a r9 290 and a arctic cooling accelero hybrid II-120 which I'm likely about to attach today. It has a similar backplate but uses an aio water cooler for the gpu. However I'm using an mitx case which has maybe 1/4in clearance between half the gpu and the psu I have so the backplate will def not fit.

Well, I don't think that backplate is enough to cool VRM's on this card, especially when overclocking.
That's why I made those VRM heatsinks.

I've seen results of this russian guy right before my purchase (card and cooler), so I knew, I'm gonna do those heatsinks:

http://people.overclockers.ru/Diamond/18074/s2ddht-ac-iv-radeon-r9-290x-i-accelero-xtreme-iv-ustanovka-i-dorabotka/

I think, in your case, it would be better to make some heatsink for that VRM strip, or get something like GELID Enhancement kit for AMD R9 290/290X to cool those VRM from "front" side and attached some 120mm fan over it.

Case: Jonsbo RM4 mod PSU: Corsair RM750 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 4x4GB GPU: Sapphire 5700XT + Raijintech Morpheus mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 117)
Excellent mod! I find it annoying how they charge almost $100 for a GPU cooler yet ship it with such horrible VRM heatsinks. I ended up shorting a very golden 7970 trying to keep VRM temps down.

Very nice job man, now you get to enjoy the best air cooler without any downsides and a sweet overclock thumb.gif

post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

Excellent mod! I find it annoying how they charge almost $100 for a GPU cooler yet ship it with such horrible VRM heatsinks. I ended up shorting a very golden 7970 trying to keep VRM temps down.

Very nice job man, now you get to enjoy the best air cooler without any downsides and a sweet overclock thumb.gif

Thx th3illusiveman,
that reminds me my first mod of VRM's for my old Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3.

VRM's on that beast was kinda hot under heavy load, I had to use that unused space under the WF3 heatsink for some small aluminium VRM heatsinks. wink.gif

Good times. thumb.gif

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 06:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 117)
You should have advertised your skills lol. I would have paid you to make and ship me a custom sink for my 7970 redface.gif , Did you manage good OC's on your 7950 as well?

post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It's not so great, as it looks. wink.gif

I think that 7950 was nice, I managed get 1200 for core (1,3 V) and 7300 for memory (Samsung).

And it's still alive, my brother has it in his rig. thumb.gif

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Great work man! I might get my hands on a very nice piece of R9 290 with stock cooler and this seems like the best option for me. I have just made an account to get some more details from you wink.gif Do you have some special equipment for working those aluminium cooler blocks? In addition, do you think this could also do the trick http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=13&id=108&tab=1 ?

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thx.
Nothing special, just some jaw vice, hack-saw, metal files and of course lots of measuring work. smile.gif

That Gelid heatsink will be fine for that VRM1 strip.

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 08:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 26)
nice job man, good thinking and good patience

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in