MSI Gaming X 1080ti in SLI. Upper GPU at 90c - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MSI Gaming X 1080ti in SLI. Upper GPU at 90c

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
So I lowered the power limit to 80% and case open with a vornado fan blowing on the GPUs... Got my highest score yet on 3DMark at 16,000. I think that's a respectable number. Yet I'm doing 50-60 FPS on Battlefield 1... I think it's beyond the heat issue now

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/3555950

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 08:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 69)
Quote: Originally Posted by razorseal View Post
Brother, When I got this thing, the GPU prices were out the hoohaa. If I built it myself, I would have spent at least 400 more (I priced it out in another thread here). It was actuallky cheaper this way, with this lcd screen.

I can't return it. I gotta fix what I got.

Reason I have 2 1080tis is because when I'm not gaming, it was supposed to mine on nicehash. That's how I sold the idea to my wife... "hey hun, this thing can make us money when I'm not using it! It'll pay itself back in no time!"

So I called them today and told them what was going on... They xfer me to tech support and the guy is like, yeah why would you do that. That won't work well. I told them why on earth they are selling this setup then if it won't work... He said he's just tech support. Then I talked to cust support and he said, yeah nothing we can do. Sorry.... lol

I have the parts, and worst case I can just buy my own large case, but I'd really like to make it work with the SLIs in here. I might just buy the custom loop setup soon. I guess I like the challenge of making it work.

how does this benchmark look?

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/3555601
Its very noisy to cool the cards you have in sli, you really just need water. Sadly nicehash profits are probably horrific now too. I'd try to sell the case off to someone with the screen. Some people be all over that.

Your other option would be to get a mora and hook up an external and keep the case.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by nycgtr View Post
Its very noisy to cool the cards you have in sli, you really just need water. Sadly nicehash profits are probably horrific now too. I'd try to sell the case off to someone with the screen. Some people be all over that.

Your other option would be to get a mora and hook up an external and keep the case.
True, I didn't think about selling the case.

I just ran battlefront 2 and the stats were great. temps at around 76, core at 1911, power limited to 80%... Couldn't get over 80 FPS or so... not sure what that's about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 02:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by razorseal View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by nycgtr View Post

True, I didn't think about selling the case.

I just ran battlefront 2 and the stats were great. temps at around 76, core at 1911, power limited to 80%... Couldn't get over 80 FPS or so... not sure what that's about.
I'd sell the case either way but have you tried full on positive pressure yet? My understanding is that you still have a back exhaust fan pulling air from the GPUs.
If you haven't repasted the cards yet that's usually good for 5-10c.
Another thing that could help is selling the AIO for a better tower cooler. It would ease up on the resistance and keep you from using the CPU heat to cool the GPUs. You'd probably end up with a few extra bucks and a slightly cooler CPU, if not cooler then it would be about the same. Most AIOs are only impressive till the radiator heats up, after that tower coolers are usually a tiny bit cooler.

The low frame rate could just be from SLI, try using just one card and see what happens. Could also be the diver messing things up, you can tweak it with NVInspector. SLI is hit and miss depending on the game. Some devs really put some effort into it but many don't since the biggest part of the market is using a single GPU.
Without seeing the load temps, clocks and load there's no way to really tell you why this is happening.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 04-04-2018 at 03:00 AM.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 06:26 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 97 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by go4life View Post
Just know that 90c will not harm the card, so you should be fine. While I understand that you want lower temperature, with such a cramped case you do not have many options. You could set the fan speed up on the intake and outtake at the cost of noise.

Personally facing similar, however my case is a bit larger so decided to go with new motherboard that has 2 slots in between instead of current 1slot where temperature on top card goes to about 85-88c max with the overclock applied.
Mind you the motherboard I chose is the X299 Rampage VI Extreme, which is an E-ATX board. Amongst the few I could find with 2 slots in between the GPU's. As it looks like you are using socket 1151, I am unsure if there are any motherboards with 2slot spacing, as it is a platform that I personally have not looked much at because of only 16pcie lanes. Top Asus motherboard for that socket might offer 2slot spacing. However as your case is cramped, you might have to see if you can fit it all properly first.

Good luck
Sustained temps of 90C will degrade a GPU, and heat cool cycles in an environment like that are not good for the solder on the PCB. The VRMs are also going to suffer as well with 125+ C temps to be expected.

Best case scenario is the fans fail early in 2-3 years. Worst case scenario is the cards die in that same timeframe. There are users on OCN who get 1-2 years out of an air cooled card - situations like this are highly suspect as to why that happens.

OP, I would sell the case and get something bigger and do a custom loop. A larger case with more airflow still won't work great with those cards unless you're okay with noisy fans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in