Arctic Accelero Xtreme III: install without back plate? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Arctic Accelero Xtreme III: install without back plate?

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 16)
Arctic Accelero Xtreme III: install without back plate?

Because of my poor choice of case (Thermaltake Armor Revo+) and combination of CPU cooler (the Phanteks PH-tc14pe), motherboard and CPU my 1080Ti is jammed up against the Phanteks PH-tc14pe (because the 1st slot is the only 16 lane capable slot) and now there's no room for the backplate the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III uses. I've previously used a Arctic Accelero Xtreme II on a 6970 and it didn't use a backplate just screws and washers. So is there anyway I can use the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III without the back plate? The back plate in his case is a small piece of metal that covers the area behind the GPU and rests on top of a pad to prevent shorting the PCB.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/hs-wordpress...emeIII-151.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 01:15 PM
...and you'll FLOAT TOO!!

Rep: 172 (Unique: 124)
That looks more like a mounting plate than a backplate.... It would seem to me that the plate in the pic would be necessary for the installation, unless you want to get some big plastic washers for the bolts.... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by blaze2210 View Post
That looks more like a mounting plate than a backplate.... It would seem to me that the plate in the pic would be necessary for the installation, unless you want to get some big plastic washers for the bolts.... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
The installation instructions call it a back plate.

I think I'm just going to try your idea and get some thick, plastic washers or maybe use some stacked cardboard motherboard washers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 07:25 PM
...and you'll FLOAT TOO!!

Rep: 172 (Unique: 124)
Based on your initial description, you need to make sure that the CPU cooler won't be touching the back of the GPU. Otherwise, I think you'll want that plate on the back of the GPU - or something to prevent the metal CPU cooler from making direct contact with the back of the GPU....

If you have the proper amount of clearance between the cooler and the back of the GPU, then you should be good with just the non-metal washers on the bolts, just make sure you're paying attention to your mounting pressure and that you're tightening the bolts evenly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in