Had some conductonaut left over so I thought, what the heck. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Had some conductonaut left over so I thought, what the heck.

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AMD Fanboy Using Nvidia

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Had some conductonaut left over so I thought, what the heck.

After repasting my GF's XPS 15 and my Dell G7 with the liquid metal I had plenty left over so I thought what the heck might as well do my 1080 while I'm at it. The results are amazing. I just got done with a 2 hour gaming session of For Honor and holy crap. Fan curve only reached 40% and it never broke 66c and it stayed pegged at its 2011MHz overclock the whole time. At 100% fans it seems to hit a wall at 55c under sustained load. This stuff is amazing, and with new cards around the corner I don't mind the risk. My only worry is the shroud around the heat pipes on the card is aluminium and I worry it might overtime settle down onto the area but so far so good.

Just thought Id share!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	215054  

Name:	0828182101a.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	4.93 MB
ID:	215056  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 06:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 16)
I've read that in the long term liquid metal is a losing proposition because it reacts even w/copper and/or nickel.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 12:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 380 (Unique: 272)
Quote: Originally Posted by vmatt1203 View Post
After repasting my GF's XPS 15 and my Dell G7 with the liquid metal I had plenty left over so I thought what the heck might as well do my 1080 while I'm at it. The results are amazing. I just got done with a 2 hour gaming session of For Honor and holy crap. Fan curve only reached 40% and it never broke 66c and it stayed pegged at its 2011MHz overclock the whole time. At 100% fans it seems to hit a wall at 55c under sustained load. This stuff is amazing, and with new cards around the corner I don't mind the risk. My only worry is the shroud around the heat pipes on the card is aluminium and I worry it might overtime settle down onto the area but so far so good.

Just thought Id share!

Easiest thing to do is simple prep work which also lowers the risk of LM drying out and all of the Gallium being absorbed into the copper (exposure to oxygen increases the effect of gallium absorption until enough is absorbed that the battery differential effect becomes close to 0 (between the coppper-gallium alloy and the LM on the outside, which stops more absorption): But anyway:

1) Remove the existing LM.
2) wipe the heatsink of the old LM and make sure any HARDENED residue is removed, but leave the silver stain--this will help reduce rate of gallium absorption.
3) apply Super 33+ tape around the edges of the GPU in four strips. The tape is thin enough to cover the resistors fully, but make sure the GPU core is clear and raised above the edge of the tape. Make sure the tape coverage over the SMD parts is complete so LM cannot leak into the resistor area and short something out. This is important to do, because LM can also eat away at the soldering job and cause those little parts to fall off.

Alternatively, you can apply 3 coats of transparent nail polish (wait 5 minutes between each coat) on the SMD's around the GPU core as well. I'm not sure which method will help insulate against any tiny oxygen molecules getting in, but I would not apply BOTH tape and nail polish at the same time, because that will raise the surface area and may possibly interfere with heatsink pressure (a common problem when people do both tape and nail polish on laptop BGA CPU's, as the CPU core is only 2mm above the green housing, and just tape by itself can cover that distance).

Finally, to prevent any LM runoff (guaranteed to stop any from ever getting onto the PCB), find a VERY highly compressible foam packing material (the thickness has to be less than 4mm) and it has to be VERY VERY compressible, literally down to <1mm with your fingers with no resistance. Then cut a square out in the size of the GPU entire housing area, then cut out an inside "square" in the shape of the GPU itself, leaving about 2mm to spare so the foam won't touch the GPU. But do not apply it yet.

Then you should trim the foam with some very sharp scissors (something like Titanium scissors will work) by "slicing" it in half (if that makes sense), but that will be a very long process without tearing the foam. Once you slice it in half, there should now be a foam dam about 2mm thick. Then if you want to be perfectionist, try to trim it down "section by section" to about 1mm and no more than 1.5mm with the scissors (this will require surgical precision). Doing this will *greatly* reduce any foam resistance of downwards heatsink pressure on the GPU (these low pressure heatsinks need as much help as they can get), while even the extremely thin cut out foam barrier will completely block all liquid metal from going anywhere if it happens to escape.

Sounds like a lot of work but if you want your hardware to be safe, you need to do the prep work.

In the attached picture, the far right trimmed foam dam is decent for a GPU, as long as the final trimmed thickness is <2mm.
These foam dams are NOT to be used to protect the SMD resistors! They are only to trap LM from escaping onto the PCB. Do NOT use foam dams to be lazy and not use Super 33+ tape or Nail polish at all. Best insurance: Foam dams+Super 33+ tape, or Foam dams+transparent nail polish (3 coats).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	foamdam_forum.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	586.5 KB
ID:	215522  

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 01:37 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1014 (Unique: 611)
You don't need to cover the SMDs with anything unless you put too much LM. Even if you do put too much ... unless you have a vertical mount GPU it's not going to go anywhere.

I put liquid metal on my 950 in 2015 and it's still doing just fine. Never bothered putting it on my 1060 because my 950 only dropped a few C.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Rii RKM709 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in