Charting VRAM Usage in Games - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Charting VRAM Usage in Games

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 250 (Unique: 200)
Calling for contributions for VRAM usage in games.

In order to give those thinking about Multi-Monitor gaming an idea of what they can expect (or what hardware they might need to get the experience they desire when gaming) I am attempting to compile a spreadsheet containing what sort of FPS and VRAM usage you can expect to see in games across a variety of resolutions.

While you can get much information from reviews, this does not always reflect the wide variety of hardware, tweaks, programs and other miscellaneous goings-on within a normal gamers system. Furthermore, review sites that test in triplewide resolutions are still relatively few and far between - HardOCP has been doing so for some time, while some others finally seem to have realised that with both AMD and nVidia pushing "EyeFinity" or "Surround" as technologies, that they cannot ignore it any longer. The resolution world no longer ends for gamers at 2560x1600 - there are people out there gaming daily on 5x1 Portrait EyeFinity setups with over 10.3 million pixels, and triplescreeners gaming at 7680x1600 with nearly 12.3 million.

The objective of this project is to collate user experiences of Surround in term of FPS and VRAM usage with multi-monitor gaming, however, VRAM usage in single screen scenarios is still just as useful as most games do not scale linearly between VRAM usage and resolution. (i.e.: triple the pixels doesn't mean triple the VRAM usage).

To facilitate this, the following information is desired:

*Game
Patch Level
*Hardware GPU
Driver Version
*Hardware CPU @ clockspeed
*Resolution
*Anti-Aliasing Level
*Settings (synopsis if custom)
*FPS
*VRAM usage (measured with MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision or similar)

*Indicates essential information.

It'll make my life easier if data is submitted as comma seperated values, so, for example:

Game, Patch Level, GPU, GPU driver, CPU, Resolution, Anti-Aliasing, Settings, FPS, VRAM Usage

Saints Row: The Third, 1.0.0.1, GTX680, 304.79, Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz, 5760x1200, 2xAA, Ultra (AA turned down from 8xAA), ~40fps, 1710MB

I look forward to data submissions, thanks in advance. smile.gif I will get the first spreadsheet uploaded ASAP. As we get more submissions, I hope to be able to graph them up for easier visualisation.

If you wish to place a link to this thread in your signature so that others may see and contribute or gain from it, please feel free to create your own, or use the one below:
Code:
[url=https://www.overclock.net/t/1304693/charting-vram-usage-in-games]Charting VRAM Usage in Games[/url]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 69 (Unique: 59)
This is a great initiative and a great idea, I'll support with a signature link since I don't have any data to contribute with thumb.gif

Time is the best teacher, but it kills its students
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks! biggrin.gif You can still contribute; if you run MSI Afterburner or similar, turn on logging or the OSD and manually jot down VRAM usage - doesn't matter what resolution - the more data we have, the better! biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

I was more referring to only running a single monitor setup biggrin.gif if data on that is desired as well I'll gladly put it down!

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes, single monitor data is needed too, or we can't work out scaling efficiently. smile.gif

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

I just found the paragraph where you posted that. D'oh! Sorry for not fully reading your post redface.gif when I get back later I'll have some numbers for you smile.gif

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

Calling for contributions for VRAM usage in games.
In order to give those thinking about Multi-Monitor gaming an idea of what they can expect (or what hardware they might need to get the experience they desire when gaming) I am attempting to compile a spreadsheet containing what sort of FPS and VRAM usage you can expect to see in games across a variety of resolutions.
While you can get much information from reviews, this does not always reflect the wide variety of hardware, tweaks, programs and other miscellaneous goings-on within a normal gamers system. Furthermore, review sites that test in triplewide resolutions are still relatively few and far between - HardOCP has been doing so for some time, while some others finally seem to have realised that with both AMD and nVidia pushing "EyeFinity" or "Surround" as technologies, that they cannot ignore it any longer. The resolution world no longer ends for gamers at 2560x1600 - there are people out there gaming daily on 5x1 Portrait EyeFinity setups with over 10.3 million pixels, and triplescreeners gaming at 7680x1600 with nearly 12.3 million.
The objective of this project is to collate user experiences of Surround in term of FPS and VRAM usage with multi-monitor gaming, however, VRAM usage in single screen scenarios is still just as useful as most games do not scale linearly between VRAM usage and resolution. (i.e.: triple the pixels doesn't mean triple the VRAM usage).
To facilitate this, the following information is desired:
*Game
Patch Level
*Hardware GPU
Driver Version
*Hardware CPU @ clockspeed
*Resolution
*Anti-Aliasing Level
*Settings (synopsis if custom)
*FPS
*VRAM usage (measured with MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision or similar)
*Indicates essential information.
It'll make my life easier if data is submitted as comma seperated values, so, for example:
Game, Patch Level, GPU, GPU driver, CPU, Resolution, Anti-Aliasing, Settings, FPS, VRAM Usage
Saints Row: The Third, 1.0.0.1, GTX680, 304.79, Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz, 5760x1200, 2xAA, Ultra (AA turned down from 8xAA), ~40fps, 1710MB
I look forward to data submissions, thanks in advance. smile.gif I will get the first spreadsheet uploaded ASAP. As we get more submissions, I hope to be able to graph them up for easier visualisation.
If you wish to place a link to this thread in your signature so that others may see and contribute or gain from it, please feel free to create your own, or use the one below:
Code:
[url=https://www.overclock.net/t/1304693/charting-vram-usage-in-games]Charting VRAM Usage in Games[/url]

Can we bring in the data from the other forum? We had a nice little list going already. smile.gif
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugi View Post

Can we bring in the data from the other forum? We had a nice little list going already. smile.gif
Yes, I've already grabbed that data. biggrin.gif

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 370 (Unique: 310)
Is this what you need?

Crysis, Latest Steam, GTX680, 304.79, Core i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz, 1920x1080, 8xQAA (8x MSAA), Very High, ~50 FPS, 1400 MB

Dirt 3, Latest Steam, GTX680, 304.79, Core i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz, 1920x1080, 8xQCSAA, Ultra, ~88 FPS, 1387 MB

Dirt 3, Latest Steam, GTX680, 304.79, Core i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz, 1920x1080, 8xCSAA, Ultra, ~90 FPS, 1460 MB
CPU limited like a noob in Dirt 3, VRAM seems to go up a bit with repeated runs.

Metro 2033, Latest Steam, GTX680, 304.79, Core i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz, 1920x1080, 4xMSAA, Very High + Tess. + PhysX, ~40 FPS, 1680 MB

Battlefield 3, Latest Origin, GTX680, 304.79, Core i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz, 1920x1080, 4xMSAA, Ultra, ~70 FPS, 2000 MB
Tried the new Armored Kill maps, kinda big, but only played a 32-man server. Maxed out VRAM. Averaged 1920 MB or so.

Achievements:
i5 3570K @ 5.1 GHz | i5 2500k @ 5.2 GHz | E8200 @ 4.0 GHz
M1XN
(18 items)
CPU
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VI Impact
GPU
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
RAM
2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 128 GB
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB
Optical Drive
LiteOn DL-8ATSH
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH-C14
Case
NCASE M1 V2.5
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit
Monitor
ViewSonic VP2770
Keyboard
Vortex Pok3r
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mouse
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
HiFiMan HE-400
Other
Logitech C920
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

That's perfect, B!0HaZard, thank you. biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in