Can FurMark kill your GPU ? Actually, yes... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Can FurMark kill your GPU ? Actually, yes...

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my last night unpleasant experience with FurMark and a brand new watercooled GTX 690 and answer that question that I've read posted so many times on the web : is FurMark really dangerours for GPUs ?

Actually, it is, and not only because of overheating.

Last week, I received my second GTX690 in replacement of my previous one that died for an unknown reason after nearly one year (actually, less than 8 month) of valuable service. I then installed my EK waterblock and back plate, added it to my watercooled rig and started testing the loop. All went good, and the temperature of the card was even lower than with my previous 690 - I'm now way better in applying thermal paste and pad than one year ago. tongue.gif

But yesterday, after having changed a radiator on my system, I wanted to stress the GPU to ensure that all was fine with the temps. And for the first time, I decided to use FurMark.

And my GPU died.

After not even one minute of FurMark, at 1280x720 with no AA, the app suddenly freezed and I had to reboot the computer. By the time the app freezed, the temps were around 30°C on both GPUs with a load around 95-99%, so I was very confident that it was only a software issue : my 690 was not overheating.

The bad surprise came when Windows 8 finally booted : the desktop was displayed in 1024x768 instead of the monitor native 1920x1200 resolution. OK, not that bad, probably one of those Windows 8 mystery that was easily solved by switching the res back to 1920x1200.

And then I saw the EVGA Precision X popup telling me that no compatible hardware was found. Seriously ? A look at the devices manager of Windows confirmed that something was wrong : there was one yellow dot on each GPUs, and the card status was something ending by "Error 43" - the dreaded "Error 43".

I first thought that a reboot would fix the problem, but no. Then I removed/reinstalled the pilots but the error was still there. I then checked if my 6-pin power supplies were properly plugged (they were), and,in last resort, tested another power supply.

The Error 43 was still there. My GPU was officially dead.

Now that I think about it, the coil whine was very audible on this model, maybe this was a sign that one of the condensator or VRM was weak and FurMark, stressing everything on the GPU, only shortened the life of an already defective component. But that's very disturbing, nonetheless, to witness that a software can actually kill a GPUs in less than one minute, without even a single warning.

Now, the tough part begins : obtaining an RMA on a GPUs where the stock cooler has been replaced by a third party water cooling system.

Wish me luck ! redface.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 88)
Something is telling me user at fault. I killed my 6950 by putting my stock cooler back on from a block. Turned PC and my temps reached 90C.
Forgot to mention, the GPU might not have been overheating, but the Vram might have been. That's what happened to my 6950.

post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif
BE A MAN, Grow a Pair and FOLD
" Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the Rest .
Forum Humor (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazloisdavrock go_quote.gif

One does not simply like EA
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf go_quote.gif

Your fault for buying a game from EA.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by crust_cheese go_quote.gif

I run a UNIX. This means that I get girls about as often as my PC crashes. mad.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe go_quote.gif

Reading about EA's mistakes is actually more entertaining then playing their games. thumb.gif

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 329 (Unique: 273)
afaik evga doesn't care if you use aftermarket cooler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianHak View Post

Something is telling me user at fault. I killed my 6950 by putting my stock cooler back on from a block. Turned PC and my temps reached 90C.
Forgot to mention, the GPU might not have been overheating, but the Vram might have been. That's what happened to my 6950.

Yes, you may be right, I'll have to check this tonight : maybe I did not apply the thermal paste/pad correctly on one of the VRAM modules...

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 92 (Unique: 79)
Should've got a EVGA GTX 690, they're more lenient when it comes to stuff like this, love them so much. thumb.gif

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 329 (Unique: 273)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayFrosty View Post

Should've got a EVGA GTX 690, they're more lenient when it comes to stuff like this, love them so much. thumb.gif

Evga is the only one who have 690s

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

And Asus, Gigabyte. lol
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:09 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 31 (Unique: 30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

So wrong.. even Gainward do one.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 276 (Unique: 256)
You sure its the card? Have you tried clearing CMOS?

I thought I had a similar issue. Booted up my PC and there was no display...nuttin, but apparently I had to reset CMOS and it was back. I'd really try to troubleshoot every possible option before you consider the 690 dead. Can you test it in a difference pc?

Not saying your wrong about this, I'd just like ya to get your card back working...

Furmark is pretty nuts. Furmark, OCCT, they put insane loads on the card. But, a real benchmark or utility, A New Dawn from nvidia does the same thing. Totally takes up all my Vram and puts crazy load on my GPU. Bummer bru

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in