Video card shooting out water??? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Video card shooting out water???

post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 8
I bought my PC 2 months ago, and I have a clear side panel window with lights inside. I notice that I have little spots of water alongside the middle of the panel. I have an MSI GTX 770 OC Gaming Video Card paired on an MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming Motherboard. I opened it up took my video card out and I noticed that the plastic housing of where the fans are, has moisture all around it, shooting it out to the side panel and the south-bridge heatsink on my motherboard.

First of all, my previous 6 year old PC never had this issue, in fact, I have never had this issue in my life, my brother has a high tech gaming PC in the same room and he has never had any issues at all. This is the first time I went with MSI, I have never had problems with Gigabyte, or ASUS video cards.

I normally have the video card run at fairly high fan speeds from 60-95% from 1800rpm to about 2600rpm, but how can this possibly be an issue, am I not allowed to increase fan speed without water shooting from the card, literally!

Room temperatures are normal, about 20-24C.

I tested to see the issue and how quickly it occurs. I cleaned the south-bridge heatsink and video card of the moisture, then played Far Cry 3 for 20 minutes. Opened the side panel and I see it again, streaks of moisture on my south-bridge and alongside my motherboard from one end of the board to the other!

I bought this PC from Mwave Australia, they have a 1 year hardware return on any component.

What do I do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 02:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98
Sounds like the evaporation cooler is busted. I would contatc the reseller.

post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Would I technically be able to get a new motherboard? Tiny streaks of water have been on it, but I dried it with a dry cloth, would this cause any major damage? I paid alot of money for this computer and I dont want it to die anytime soon.

Btw this has happened since day 1 I got my PC. I have cleaned it out about 5 times already of all the water on the south-bridge and video card. My PC has been through chilly 15 degree mornings to 27 degree warm days. I even put 6 silicon bags to absorb possible moisture. Still nothing.

This is almost a joke. The reason why I believe its the video card is because it is the only component that generates the heavy airflow to push the moisture on my side panel lengthways, just like the video card sits, and onto the motherboard lengthways, as the card sits.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 02:29 AM
Twitch Streamer

Rep: 104
Might be your cooler leaking. I suggest not to keep playing as the water might get on to something and fry a component. have you tried testing without the graphics card to see if the leak is still present? I believe there are heatpipes and maybe it might be leaking the liquid thats inside them thats used to transfer the heat.

You shouldnt have ignored it the first time, if there was water leaking since day one i would have RMA'ed it before it gets worse.

i7-3930k 4.5GHz | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | 1440p 144hz IPS | Cooled by EKWB

PU:BG & Twitch - FarmerMeoow
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 02:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

It also could be grease from the fans. Is it just wet or it is slippery.

post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Both. Greasy and wet, but it has gone all on my motherboard. Btw I just swapped out my GTX 770 with my AMD 6850, running Valley for the last 1 hour, no moisture!

post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 03:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

I had some bitfenix fans that threw a greasy substance around every once in a while. I would seriously swap it out for a new one. Also to be safe swap out the motherboard too.

post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

I am going to email them now. Thank you for your help! smile.gif

post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 03:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Np, parts are expensive nothing wrong with being cautious

post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 05:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

^^ Downtime sucks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in