]R9 Nano cards plagued by Coil Whine/High Pitch noise - Poor quality components used? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

]R9 Nano cards plagued by Coil Whine/High Pitch noise - Poor quality components used?

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 216 (Unique: 120)
Looks like there were many reviewers that had very noticable Coil Whine/High Pitch noise concerns with the R9 Nano. They say its even worse than the Fury X that had high pitch noise coming from the faulty fans when it launched. But this time its something else since R9 Nano doesnt have pumps.
I noticed the issue being raised by Eurogamer but after searching around there are many sites that had this issue with their review card.

This is very bad AMD thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

PCPer:
Quote:
When AMD launched the AMD Fury X card, one of the difficulties that AMD had was the annoying pump whine that permeated through the initial run of testing samples as well as the first batch of retail samples. AMD claims that a fix has been put in place for this but honestly we haven’t been able to get a hold of any other product from later production runs to validate that claim.

Because of that calamity I was disappointed to power on the R9 Nano for the first time on our test bed and hear the sound of coil whine from the card. This wasn’t the same problem as the Fury X, obviously, but instead the clear sound of inductors generating a buzzing sound that varies as the frame rate in the game changes. In a loading screen that is hitting 400 FPS? You are going to get a high pitched whine from the card. Playing a game at a modest 45 FPS? The sound will be a much gentler, lower pitched buzzing similar to that of a bumblebee.
The annoyance of this coil / PWM noise is going vary from user to user I’m sure, but the consensus in the office is that because the noise varies with the frame rate of the game it is MORE noticeable than the pump whine we found on the Fury X cards earlier in the summer
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-R9-Nano-Review/Noise-Testing-SFF-System-Build-Temperatures

Eurogamer:
Quote:
Our only gripe comes from the dreaded 'coil whine' - the R9 Nano is much louder here than the Fury X, a card we re-tested during production of this feature. It sounds akin to a constant buzzing, something that may be unique to our particular review sample.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-amd-radeon-r9-nano-review

Techspot
Quote:
It's worth noting that AMD's Nano reference sample generated a serious amount of coil noise. People complained about the Fury X coil noise but for us it wasn't that bad. The Nano really screams, however.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1061-amd-radeon-r9-nano/page12.html

Bit-Tech
Quote:
In the acoustic department, our main gripe with the R9 Nano is actually the coil whine we experienced throughout testing which was often considerably more obvious than any system fan noise. For such a premium graphics card, we would expect the use of better components and greater quality control to prevent coil whine, or at least to dampen it to some extent, and we hope that when retail availability proliferates AMD ensures coil whine is fixed, or at least minimised
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2015/09/10/amd-radeon-r9-nano-review/12

HardwareHeaven
Quote:
Coil Whine/Noise as it is commonly called is very much an issue on the R9 NANO. At above average framerates its almost a rattle and then as the FPS escalate it really turns into a near whistle. It’s the worst case of this phenomenon we have heard to date and it was close to causing the R9 NANO not to get any sort of award/recommendation.
https://www.hardwareheaven.com/2015/09/amd-radeon-r9-nano-review/

LegitReviews:
Quote:
AMD has only sent us two Fiji based cards and the Fury X has really bad pump whine and the Nano has choke whine. We know that AMD put a ton of time and effort into making the build quality on this card one that was said to be premium, so it’s really shocking to see that another noisy card was delivered to us by AMD to review. The choke noise on the AMD Radeon R9 Nano isn’t nearly as bad as the pump whine on the Fury X, but it’s something we don’t expect to see on a $649 video card here in 2015 where premium components are readily available.
http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-nano-4gb-video-card-review_171995/9

TweakTown:
Quote:
Major Coil Whine: This is seriously annoying, but only in an open test bed. Inside of a system it will be much better, but I need to question this. Is AMD having issues with the Fiji-based cards? Because the Fury X had serious whine from the cooler too, but the R9 Nano doesn't have a watercooler or a pump. What gives?
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7335/amd-radeon-r9-nano-video-card-review-fury-dead/index12.html

Hexus:
Quote:
However, we noticed significant coil whine across our suite of games, particularly in Total War: Rome II. This may be sample-specific, but it would grate us long term if this was the case with all cards.
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/86042-amd-radeon-r9-nano/?page=12

KitGuru own video showing the whine

JayzTwoCents
documenting the whine (15min 6 seconds)

HardwareCanucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 12:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 54 (Unique: 40)
I hope this is only first samples problem, cause for a gpu that is aimed for HTPC i can't imagine that noise in the living room, but AMD has soved the pump noise on the FX im certain they will do the same with the nano thumb.gif
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 12:54 PM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
That's really lame. Did the Fury have coil whine too? If it did, the entire Fury lineup launched with this issue.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noufel View Post

I hope this is only first samples problem, cause for a gpu that is aimed for HTPC i can't imagine that noise in the living room, but AMD has soved the pump noise on the FX im certain they will do the same with the nano thumb.gif

The cards shouldnt have this problem in the first place even if its solvable. Not of this magnitude.
Period.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
My 980 Kingpin had coil whine, too. It wasnt bad, but definitely not pleasant to find that on a 700 card.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 435 (Unique: 327)
Sounds just like my Fury.... I'm glad that thing died so I could send it away to RMA and hope to get one that doesn't make such a screeching that local religious groups think the apocalypse has begun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalrulz go_quote.gif

Quick question though, how is having steel armor in skyrim like having an ipad in world war 2? If the U.S stormed normandy with ipads i'm pretty sure we would all be speaking german about now.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 29)
Quote:
Major Coil Whine: This is seriously annoying, but only in an open test bed. Inside of a system it will be much better, but I need to question this. Is AMD having issues with the Fiji-based cards? Because the Fury X had serious whine from the cooler too, but the R9 Nano doesn't have a watercooler or a pump. What gives?

How can they test in open case? looks like All of reviewer Tested in Open Test.not inside mITX Case.How much noise does a Nano make if inside mITX case? I can't find this info.

CPU : AMD Ryzen 1600X | Memory : [Ripjaws V] F4-3200C16D-16GVKB  | Motherboard : Asus Prime X370 Pro | Graphic : XFX AMD Radeon R9 290 Double Dissipation | Monitor : AOC 931Sw | HDD : 1x120 GB SSD Samsung Evo , 1x2TB Seagate

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
First video sounds exactly like the 3x 970's that I had to return due to coil buzz. My 980ti also has it to some extent, but more quiet. Really dissappointing to see graphic cards get more and more expensive, but components more and more budget and noone seems to care about coil noise.

My old cards never had that, didn't even know that cards could sound like this until last year.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

KitGuru didnt test in an open test bench. Neither did PCPer
I`m too lazy to go and look for the rest, but a coil whine is a coil whine no matter how you look at it. If you put it inside a case with thick layer of isolation, it may not bother you, but its still a big issue with the card itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julizs View Post

First video sounds exactly like the 3x 970's that I had to return due to coil buzz. My 980ti also has it to some extent, but more quiet. Really dissappointing to see graphic cards get more and more expensive, but components more and more budget and noone seems to care about coil noise.

My old cards never had that, didn't even know that cards could sound like this until last year.
GTX 980Ti have like any cards some few bad eggs but there wasnt many if any reviews that had issues with coil whine from the card.
R9 Nano however, well look at the list in the OP...

Certainly not something you expect to see become a widespread problem on a $650 premium card. Thats very dissappointing to see.

JayzTwoCentz sarcastic video lol
https://instagram.com/p/7dM4ejALUL/?taken-by=jayztwocents
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 462 (Unique: 340)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post

That's really lame. Did the Fury have coil whine too? If it did, the entire Fury lineup launched with this issue.

Fury X didn't really have coil whine, it was more a pump grinding issue. That was fixed with later consumer releases according to what I've read over in our AMD GPU subforum and over on /r/AMD (or technically /r/AdvancedMicroDevices a while ago since the creator of /r/AMD booted and made that private for a while).

But some of those whine videos sounds as bad as my 780 Classified card (which I caused the coil whine to happen on my own part during a benching competition). You'd definitely be able to hear it when it is inside a case. Those are the 'ear-piercing' type of coil whine. Not just buzz.

I hate fanboys/fangirls. You ruin the friendlyshilling atmosphere of OCN./s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in