How to not fall for GPU marketing tricks - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to not fall for GPU marketing tricks

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
Old dog, old tricks

Rep: 574 (Unique: 474)
Case in point: XFX 280X Double Dissipation Black Edition OC VS. Sapphire 280X Dual-X OC
(Update: Rx480 PowerColor vs AMD/Sapphire reference at end of post)

So I had the chance recently to examine these two cards.

XFX Specs:
1000 Mhz base clock
1080 Mhz turbo clock
1550 Mhz vRAM
6 heatpipe cooler

Sapphire Specs:
870 Mhz default clock
1020 Mhz turbo clock
1500 Mhz vRAM
4 heatpipe cooler

Right off the bat, the XFX looks more premium, feels more premium, and its specs are more premium - every single number is higher. And of course is in the bit more premium pricing range, compared to the Dual-X.
Every regular customer would strongly believe that the XFX is the better product overall.

Here is where they are wrong:
Both cards are 6-phase power design. The Dual-X is cooled passively by a solid aluminum radiator that covers the entire VRM. The XFX is cooled passively by a thin aluminum plate that covers only the MOSFETs. Sapphire's radiator has fins for better dissipation. XFX's does not.

One may argue that XFX's VRM dissipates additionally through the frame, believe me, that is not the case. I have done some experimentation on these MOSFETs, they produce so much thermal output that anything but immediate dissipation through a large finned sink under air flow, or a heatpipe, is useless.

Why does this matter:
6-phase VRM heats up way more than 12-phase (like on the Sapphire Toxic and other more expensive models). That is why VRM cooling is crucial for these cards. XFX lacks terribly in this regard. How does that affect the card?
Let's examine the BIOS:
XFX's stock BIOS TDP limit is 204W.
Sapphire's stock BIOS TDP limit is 247W.

This means that it is much more likely that the XFX will hit its TDP ceiling, than the Sapphire. This effect is doubled when we take under consideration the fact that the VRM's efficiency drops rapidly with the raise of temperature, and XFX's VRM is very poorly cooled. Sapphire's VRM cooling is also not top notch, but is miles better.
The result is that under most load scenarios, the XFX will run at its base clock of 1000Mhz, while the Sapphire will run at its turbo clock of 1020Mhz. These chips can even do load time throttling, which means that the card can drop its usage % while gaming in order to stay within TDP.

And this, folks, is how a card that is superior in every published spec, fails in engineering to the point where it runs slower.

A bonus fact is that XFX uses Elpida RAM while Sapphire uses Hynx, even though Dual-X is its cheapest model.

Conclusion: You should not take specs at face value. Even benchmarks in reputable review sites can lie, if the hardware is not tested realistically (eg. for certain cards, a test bench will produce waaaay better results than a case, and most reviews do exactly that, due to convenience).
Do your best to gather as much information about the products as possible, try to find photos of the bare PCBs and cooling components, try to find BIOS, and post all in an electronics or overclock forum, so people can tell which model is better from an engineering standpoint.
If you are reading this, chances are you are an overclocker, so the engineering quality of the part matters even more.

Peace.

UPDATE:

Here is a fresh example of an expensive custom card being much crappier than a reference card:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 01:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 201 (Unique: 170)
Nice simple post to the point, agree, rep.

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 03:33 PM
Matcha Soda

Rep: 56 (Unique: 37)
I got a gigabyte g1 gaming because its the only 970 with a dedicated different section of the cooler designed to cool the VRM. Until ofcourse they roll out the REAL cream, the Xtreme series which IMO should have been the g1. Meh.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 04:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 36)
Great informative post, rep.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 04:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 193 (Unique: 149)
Good to know... also always makes you wonder if when a company has increased clock speeds did they bin the GPUs or did they just figure the large majority will be able to handle an increased base clock. Because unless they bin the GPUs its not worth paying extra. For example sometimes the ASUS TOP cards are binned and usually cost around $30 more than the exact same unbinned card... worth the $30.

When a card just has the clock increased... do your research.

Reverse Chronological Order (Bold is currently in use)Overclocked Intel CPU History (Click to show)
i7-5820k 4.6GHz i5-4670k 4.8GHz, Xeon W5580 4GHz, Xeon X5690 6 core 4.2GHz, i5-3570k 4.7GHz, i5-2500k 4.8GHz, i5-2500k 4.4GHz, i5-2500k 4.6GHz, i7-960T 4.2GHz (first overclocked Intel CPU traded for my 960T)
Overclocked AMD CPU History (Click to show)
PHII x4 960T @x6 3.9Ghz 4.1GHz Turbo, PHII x2 555 @x4 4.0GHz
GPU History (Click to show)
GTX 970, Crossfire R9 290x, SLI GTX 580, GTX 690, GTX 670, GTX 680, HD7950, HD6950, HD5850, SLI 7800GTX, All-in-wonder, 3DFX Fusion 16mb AGP, SLI 3DFX Voodoo2 12mb PCI
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
Old dog, old tricks

Here is a fresh example of an expensive custom card being much crappier than a reference card:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 04:33 AM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 402 (Unique: 225)
Breaking news, AMD's OEM supplier knows how to better produce their cards than other AIBs
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 07:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 45 (Unique: 38)
Might as well cover the EVGA graphics cards that have heatpipes which don't even line up with the core and heatpipes that don't even function.

http://www.eteknix.com/evga-respond-possible-design-flaw-gtx-970-acx/

CPU: Intel Core i5 8600K // Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Taichi // Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 3200 CL14 // GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Mini // SSD: Seagate 600 240GB // HDD: WD 1TB Blue WD10EZEX // Case: Lian Li PC A05 NB // Heatsinks: PH-TC14PE // Fans: 2xCorsair SP120L, 2xThermalright TY143, 1xYate Loon D14BH-12 PWM https://valid.x86.fr/29fsdx
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Old dog, old tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vario View Post

Might as well cover the EVGA graphics cards that have heatpipes which don't even line up with the core and heatpipes that don't even function.

http://www.eteknix.com/evga-respond-possible-design-flaw-gtx-970-acx/

I have posted about this and other cases from Asus in other threads, but you are right, I probably should add it here. This was initially supposed to be a quick one-off post, but since we have gathered so much evidence of shady marketing over the years, why not systemize it here. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably go with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in