[YT] AMD R9 390 vs GTX 970 | Games of 2016 Showdown - Page 31 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[YT] AMD R9 390 vs GTX 970 | Games of 2016 Showdown

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:36 PM
Professional Proletariat
 
magnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Калифорния
Posts: 5,671
Rep: 478 (Unique: 192)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfeather View Post

Prevalence of driver related faults will always be influenced by the marketshare of the hardware.

Vista usage (and thus faults) was heaviest around the time period of Nvidia's 8000 series products; a time when Nvidia's marketshare transitioned to nearly double ATI's after having trailed for many years.

It's no surprise that NV driver faults were so much higher than ATI driver faults, when you consider that most enthusiasts (the ones not just casually doodling on PCs but rather playing BF2 and CSS on their 8800GTs etc.) had NV cards and drivers running in their systems.

Raw pie charts like this often erode the context which helps to tell the story. I'm not saying NV drivers were or weren't trash at the time; it just makes sense to try and explain why things might have occurred like they did.

Well, nVidia still has 3x the logged Vista crashes against ATi. Even with a 3:1 split of nVidia:ATi marketshare at the time, it merely means they have equally bad drivers.

- 4930K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus X79-Deluxe
- MSi 980 Ti Gaming @ 1500/8000
- 4x4 GB Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz
- 2x 850 Pro 2TB
- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850W
- Phanteks Enthoo Primo
- Custom watercooling (420+360+240)
- XB270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS
magnek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Ha-Nocri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,345
Rep: 111 (Unique: 72)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfeather View Post

it's supposed to be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s12S74umruY

I don't get it why Deus Ex is not in the mix. It's a 2016 title, it's very popular. If it's because it's an Gaming Evoled title, we have WatchDogs 2, GoW4, TombRider, Mafia (I think) all NV titles

AMD
(12 items)
CPU
Ryzen r5 3600
Motherboard
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
GPU
Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC (2070/940 MHz)
RAM
G-Skill TridentZ 16GB 3600MHz b-die (3800MHz CL16 1.375V)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Cooling
Corsair H115i PLATINUM
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
Monitor
ASUS MG279Q (1440p) + ASUS 22''
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Kingston HyperX Cloud II
▲ hide details ▲
Ha-Nocri is offline  
post #303 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:53 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV
 
tpi2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,486
Rep: 900 (Unique: 504)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Nocri View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfeather View Post

it's supposed to be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s12S74umruY

I don't get it why Deus Ex is not in the mix. It's a 2016 title, it's very popular. If it's because it's an Gaming Evoled title, we have WatchDogs 2, GoW4, TombRider, Mafia (I think) all NV titles

But is it popular?

What other game released just in the second half of August has been on sale for days now for a whopping 67% off, for a total of 16,49 €?

64% overall positive reviews; 58% recent positive ones.

And the season pass? 17% positive reviews and a whopping 0% recent positive ones.

The most helpful reviews for both game and season pass are negative. It's what happens when the business side overthrows the art of game making.


Main game: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Season pass: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



tpi2007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #304 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:02 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
daviejams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,431
Rep: 33 (Unique: 24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

But is it popular?

What other game released just in the second half of August has been on sale for days now for a whopping 67% off, for a total of 16,49 €?

64% overall positive reviews; 58% recent positive ones.

And the season pass? 17% positive reviews and a whopping 0% recent positive ones.

The most helpful reviews for both game and season pass are negative. It's what happens when the business side overthrows the art of game making.


Main game: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Season pass: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Its one of 2016s most demanding games , of course they should be using it
daviejams is offline  
post #305 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:18 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
TheReciever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11,316
Rep: 434 (Unique: 322)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviejams View Post

Its one of 2016s most demanding games , of course they should be using it

Im waiting for the story to be fleshed out before I buy in, its either that or I buy when its 5 bucks.

I just bought Doom, Witcher 3, Batman Arkham something rather, and a number of other titles...and Human Revolution was my favorite game for a while.

Biased rPGA and MXM 3.0A/B Elitest.
TheReciever is offline  
post #306 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:22 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV
 
tpi2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,486
Rep: 900 (Unique: 504)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviejams View Post

Its one of 2016s most demanding games , of course they should be using it

He said it's "very popular", I was disputing that with some data. If something is demanding, but not very popular, should it take precedence over the ones that were tested?

Edit: I'll add that for the same reasons Mafia III and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare shouldn't be in there either.


tpi2007 is offline  
post #307 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 04:21 AM
Expert pin bender
 
dagget3450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,009
Rep: 162 (Unique: 93)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

But is it popular?

What other game released just in the second half of August has been on sale for days now for a whopping 67% off, for a total of 16,49 €?

64% overall positive reviews; 58% recent positive ones.

And the season pass? 17% positive reviews and a whopping 0% recent positive ones.

The most helpful reviews for both game and season pass are negative. It's what happens when the business side overthrows the art of game making.


Main game: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Season pass: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Speaking of this, am i the only one who sees a game on sale but then DLC is still adding enough cost to make it like buying the game launch price?

Game sale at 20$ from 60$
Dlc+season pass 30+$

On sale price full package 50+$


I know i personally ***** about nvidia/intel on recent pricing of hardware. Game industry is running wild now and way worse.

GPU i currently own: 390x/FuryX/Vega FE/RX Vega 64/RX 580 - CPUs: 5960x/R7 1700/X5650x2/E5 2863/e5 2670/R5 3600
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Owner
dagget3450 is online now  
post #308 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:00 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
daviejams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,431
Rep: 33 (Unique: 24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

He said it's "very popular", I was disputing that with some data. If something is demanding, but not very popular, should it take precedence over the ones that were tested?

Edit: I'll add that for the same reasons Mafia III and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare shouldn't be in there either.

It's the new Deus Ex game of course it's popular , according to wikipedia the series has sold 4.5m units
daviejams is offline  
post #309 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:49 AM
Linux Lobbyist
 
Charcharo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Posts: 1,171
Rep: 107 (Unique: 50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

It was after Crysis 2 and that ridiculous invisible underwater tesselation.

It was the heavily tesselated water that ran underneath the game for no reason other than for the lulz.

Don't worry, nVidia buyers will ignore this and how AMD last much longer and enable HJH to buy another wardrobe of leather jackets.

When Vista was released about 50% of all crashes and BSOD's were caused by AMD and nVidia drivers, with the majority being nVidia's fault.

The water is culled efficiently from the Engine. It was not the issue - tessellated FLAT surfaces was the issue.

PS:
The popularity of the game should not be the most significant factor else we would be reviewing light games like CS GO and LoL and at most medium hard (on the hardware) World of Tanks.

Sure all those games are important and IMHO some reviews should include them as they matter a lot. With that said, they just wont push hardware well enough.
*And how hard something is on the hardware has zero bearing on its status as art or quality.

Defender of Gaming as an Art Form
Slayer of anti-gaming Consoles and the people who oppose eternal glory to our art form
Charcharo is offline  
post #310 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:51 AM
 
budgetgamer120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcharo View Post

The water is culled efficiently from the Engine. It was not the issue - tessellated FLAT surfaces was the issue.

PS:
The popularity of the game should not be the most significant factor else we would be reviewing light games like CS GO and LoL and at most medium hard (on the hardware) World of Tanks.

Sure all those games are important and IMHO some reviews should include them as they matter a lot. With that said, they just wont push hardware well enough.
*And how hard something is on the hardware has zero bearing on its status as art or quality.

Below the water was tesselated for no reason.

http://techreport.com/review/21404/crysis-2-tessellation-too-much-of-a-good-thing/3
budgetgamer120 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off