[YT] AMD R9 390 vs GTX 970 | Games of 2016 Showdown - Page 33 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[YT] AMD R9 390 vs GTX 970 | Games of 2016 Showdown

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #321 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:05 AM
there is no easy way out
 
sumitlian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: India
Posts: 3,236
Rep: 312 (Unique: 177)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

Everything on a scene is getting culled. Either from the engine or the gpu.

Recently the AMD Polaris got the necessary hardware to cull really small triangles.

But the culling from the engine costs a lot of cpu performance.

Now this makes sense.

It just works
(13 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1246 V3 with TSX - The "debut" of Remote Attack Edition :D
Motherboard
Asus B85M-G Rev 1.01, BIOS version: Pre August-2014
GPU
Intel HD P4600/P4700
RAM
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 EVO
Hard Drive
1 TB + 500 GB + 500 GB
Power Supply
(8+ years old) Corsair TX850 V2
Cooling
(7+ years old) Corsair H70
Case
CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 64 bit
Monitor
Samsung A300N 20" 1600 x 900 60Hz 5ms 19Watt
Keyboard
(9+ years old) PS/2 Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500
Mouse
Shitty Logitech M170 mouse (scroller went kaput within a year)
▲ hide details ▲
sumitlian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #322 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:11 AM
Linux Lobbyist
 
Charcharo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Posts: 1,171
Rep: 107 (Unique: 50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

I meant at 1080p. That's what current midrange hardware is targeted at.
Was not always at 120 fps on my R9 390 at 1080p either.

And things will only get worse soon.

Defender of Gaming as an Art Form
Slayer of anti-gaming Consoles and the people who oppose eternal glory to our art form
Charcharo is offline  
post #323 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 01:06 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV
 
tpi2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,471
Rep: 898 (Unique: 504)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcharo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

I meant at 1080p. That's what current midrange hardware is targeted at.
Was not always at 120 fps on my R9 390 at 1080p either.

And things will only get worse soon.

You really want to drive your point home, don't you? Around 120fps is 100+ isn't it? And the current card, the RX 480, should be a tiny bit faster still.

And when things get worse they should do a test. They still haven't, so no reason to put it in the video in the OP.


tpi2007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #324 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Linux Lobbyist
 
Charcharo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Posts: 1,171
Rep: 107 (Unique: 50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

You really want to drive your point home, don't you? Around 120fps is 100+ isn't it? And the current card, the RX 480, should be a tiny bit faster still.

And when things get worse they should do a test. They still haven't, so no reason to put it in the video in the OP.

Hardware reviewers are not known for their retesting ability. If I had not told you, you would not even have known of this and you are an actual gamer tongue.gif! Gotta keep people informed ;(

*Also, previous to the DX11 patch, WoT would run at 90 fps at 1080P on OCed Fury cards...

I do think these games must be re-reviewed from time to time in big articles. If we use popularity, then they are many times more important than some silly Rise of the Tomb Raider or Battlefield 1 with their small sales numbers and tiny, little concurrent player-bases.

Defender of Gaming as an Art Form
Slayer of anti-gaming Consoles and the people who oppose eternal glory to our art form
Charcharo is offline  
post #325 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 01:20 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV
 
tpi2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,471
Rep: 898 (Unique: 504)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcharo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

You really want to drive your point home, don't you? Around 120fps is 100+ isn't it? And the current card, the RX 480, should be a tiny bit faster still.

And when things get worse they should do a test. They still haven't, so no reason to put it in the video in the OP.

Hardware reviewers are not known for their retesting ability. If I had not told you, you would not even have known of this and you are an actual gamer tongue.gif! Gotta keep people informed ;(

*Also, previous to the DX11 patch, WoT would run at 90 fps at 1080P on OCed Fury cards...

I do think these games must be re-reviewed from time to time in big articles. If we use popularity, then they are many times more important than some silly Rise of the Tomb Raider or Battlefield 1 with their small sales numbers and tiny, little concurrent player-bases.

Oh, I fully agree with that. They should be re-reviewed from time to time. It's not my type of game, but even I would like to know how they are progressing. One assumes that they aren't looking like they did six years ago.


tpi2007 is offline  
post #326 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 01:37 PM
Linux Lobbyist
 
Charcharo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Posts: 1,171
Rep: 107 (Unique: 50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

Oh, I fully agree with that. They should be re-reviewed from time to time. It's not my type of game, but even I would like to know how they are progressing. One assumes that they aren't looking like they did six years ago.

Absolutely!

These games advance in time. So many cool topics could have been explored with such games frown.gif

Defender of Gaming as an Art Form
Slayer of anti-gaming Consoles and the people who oppose eternal glory to our art form
Charcharo is offline  
post #327 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:00 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Asisvenia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 188
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
I've read some exaggerated comments about R9 290s but some guys must have been forgetten about these R9 290s were really having crappy problems about their core clocks, right? 290 generally was downclocking itself to 750-800mhz during games. Because its chip Hawaii was one of the unoptimized, inefficient chip ever made. It consumes lots of more power than Amd's formal results..
Asisvenia is offline  
post #328 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:04 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
TheReciever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11,316
Rep: 434 (Unique: 322)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asisvenia View Post

I've read some exaggerated comments about R9 290s but some guys must have been forgetten about these R9 290s were really having crappy problems about their core clocks, right? 290 generally was downclocking itself to 750-800mhz during games. Because its chip Hawaii was one of the unoptimized, inefficient chip ever made. It consumes lots of more power than Amd's formal results..

I had some problems with AMD in concerns with that regard, my m5100 I have to BIOS flash to hold clocks correctly.

R9 290 also had black screens but I figured that one out, guess one of the vrm's gets hot but none the less, for the regular joe these are problems you dont want to deal with.

Biased rPGA and MXM 3.0A/B Elitest.
TheReciever is offline  
post #329 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:10 PM
Linux Lobbyist
 
Charcharo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Posts: 1,171
Rep: 107 (Unique: 50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asisvenia View Post

I've read some exaggerated comments about R9 290s but some guys must have been forgetten about these R9 290s were really having crappy problems about their core clocks, right? 290 generally was downclocking itself to 750-800mhz during games. Because its chip Hawaii was one of the unoptimized, inefficient chip ever made. It consumes lots of more power than Amd's formal results..

Actually, it was due to the reference cooler.

Which is ... terrible. Not the chip though.

Defender of Gaming as an Art Form
Slayer of anti-gaming Consoles and the people who oppose eternal glory to our art form
Charcharo is offline  
post #330 of 341 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:11 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV
 
tpi2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,471
Rep: 898 (Unique: 504)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asisvenia View Post

I've read some exaggerated comments about R9 290s but some guys must have been forgetten about these R9 290s were really having crappy problems about their core clocks, right? 290 generally was downclocking itself to 750-800mhz during games. Because its chip Hawaii was one of the unoptimized, inefficient chip ever made. It consumes lots of more power than Amd's formal results..

That was because of the crappy reference cooler and the fact that AMD didn't give enough time for AIBs to come up with their own customized cards on launch, so for the first month or more all you had were reference cards with reference coolers.

The 290X got so loud and hot that it had two modes, the default one and the Uber mode. It only beat the Titan in Uber mode (1 Ghz clockspeed). With a proper cooler it had no problem hitting 1 Ghz all the time and thus the default / Uber mode dichotomy became irrelevant. Nobody talks about it now and the R9 390X doesn't have an Uber mode because there were AIB cards from the beginning.

The 290 also had a firmware tweak if I'm not mistaken to get better consistency, but that heatsink didn't allow for miracles and it was loud and hot.


tpi2007 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off