HD 6970 Bios flashing gone wrong - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

HD 6970 Bios flashing gone wrong

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
i followed the guide from this video and my gpu is still bricked because i keep getting the error "this program cannot be run in DOS mode"

my hardware :
A8-5500B @4.2 GHz
8 GB DDR3
HD 6970 (which somehow came with an unverified bios)
the bios version was 013.012.000.047.000000 and i tried to update it to a normal bios but the sub id wasnt compatiable then i upodated it to 013.012.000.049.000000 and it bricked .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 305 (Unique: 244)

Don't all 6970's have 2 bioses controlled by a switch?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

mines don't have a dual bios unfortunately. This is the HD 6970 that i have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

i fixed it approximately 2-3 hours ago
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:08 PM
PC Enthusiast

Rep: 118 (Unique: 108)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriniPapii View Post

i fixed it approximately 2-3 hours ago

Would help to say what you had to do, so that incase anyone else stumbles upon this thread in the future they will also know what to do smile.gif

Main Rig: Asus Strix X299-A , Intel Core i7-7800x @ 4.8Ghz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz CL16 , Asus Geforce GTX 1080ti FE, Corsair RM850i, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, 3x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB in Raid0, Custom Watercooling.
HTPC: Intel 3770k @4.2Ghz, 16GB ram, GTX 2070 (cpu bottlenecked )
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

by accident i was using the "atiflash" from the AtiWinFlash folder (that's the file that wouldn't work in DOS mode), so i google "atiflash 4.17" and downloaded it. It's gonna be a .zip file with only one file inside named "atiflash-4.17". Rename it to just "atiflash" and use Rufus to create a bootable USB. Make sure it's FAT32 & FreeDOS. Then simply drag your .bios file & the atiflash file you just renamed over to the USB (they go at the root of your USB). Go into your bios and boot from your USB stick and when in tap any key until you reach a C:\ part. Type "dir" it'll show all your files on the USB. then type "atiflash" then atiflash -f -p 0 [BIOS_filename].rom and it should take literally less than 5-10 seconds to flash the old bios back onto your AMD GPU.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 257 (Unique: 207)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriniPapii View Post

by accident i was using the "atiflash" from the AtiWinFlash folder (that's the file that wouldn't work in DOS mode), so i google "atiflash 4.17" and downloaded it. It's gonna be a .zip file with only one file inside named "atiflash-4.17". Rename it to just "atiflash" and use Rufus to create a bootable USB. Make sure it's FAT32 & FreeDOS. Then simply drag your .bios file & the atiflash file you just renamed over to the USB (they go at the root of your USB). Go into your bios and boot from your USB stick and when in tap any key until you reach a C:\ part. Type "dir" it'll show all your files on the USB. then type "atiflash" then atiflash -f -p 0 [BIOS_filename].rom and it should take literally less than 5-10 seconds to flash the old bios back onto your AMD GPU.

Awesome that you figured it out! Was about to tell you to download the DOS version :)

gunner2.gif Automated TC Stats! sniper.gif  |   I'm the guy that fixes the TC stats

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337LutZ View Post

Awesome that you figured it out! Was about to tell you to download the DOS version smile.gif
I'm still surprised i figured that out on my own, I'm a noob when it comes to bricked devices

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in