EliteBook 8770w GPU Upgrade question - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

EliteBook 8770w GPU Upgrade question

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
Hello all,

I've recently managed to find a pretty decent HP EliteBook 8770w with the following specs:

Intel i7 3610QM
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
AMD FirePro M4000 1GB
750GB HDD + 22GB SSD (Cache RTC)

There are options for up to 32GB RAM and 2 harddrives in RAID0 or 1
Which is pretty decent considering the age of this machine already.
Though the only downside is the GPU, I plan to do some gaming on it but the FirePro is underpowered for recent titles.

I was wondering if some people here have experience with swapping the MXM GPU?
Can I just buy the GPU and replace the card? What about cooling?
I noticed the following in the spare parts list:

Fan/graphics board heat sink assembly (includes replacement thermal material):

For use with AMD graphics subsystem

688733-001

For use with NVIDIA graphics subsystem (Will I need to buy this as well when i switch to Nvidia?

696435-001

I'm looking into either getting a quadro M3000 or M4000 in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Meeeeeeeow!

Rep: 428 (Unique: 299)
Yes you can upgrade the GPU.

The 980M is the top option that is available, which would be the M5000M is the Quadro equal. The M4000M I think is roughly equal to the 970M. They are not cheap used though. You can expect to pay twice or more for the equal desktop performance (keep in mind the 980M has only 1536 shaders, versus the GTX 980 that has 2048 shaders). Nvidia did release a 980 Desktop in MxM form factor, but it won't fit into an 8770W (it's a big PCB with a higher TDP).

Those are the best cards that you can use currently for the 8770W. If you have the Dreamcolor display, I would highly advise looking into whether or not the non-consumer versions can support it. At the very least, it may not be able to support the 10 bit output for the LVDS monitor. LVDS, by the way is the type of display output - newer ones only use eDP (eDisplay Port).

I would advise going onto the Notebookreview forums and asking for further details.

By the way, the best AMD GPU for LVDS displays is the Radeon 8970M/R9 M290X. It is not as powerful as the 980M but often cheaper. Be advised that the newer RX480M cannot support LVDS and is therefore not compatible with your Elitebook.

From a thermal standpoint, I know that the 980M also fit the Dell Precision M6700, but there was no overclocking headroom. I don't know what the thermals are like on the Hp and whether or not it would throttle.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
R9 M290X ON 8770W

Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyElf View Post
Yes you can upgrade the GPU.

By the way, the best AMD GPU for LVDS displays is the Radeon 8970M/R9 M290X. It is not as powerful as the 980M but often cheaper. Be advised that the newer RX480M cannot support LVDS and is therefore not compatible with your Elitebook.

Hi, I wish to upgrade the k3000m on my 8770W to R9 M290X, but the card surfaces that meets the heatsink are different. Does this mean I need a compatible heatsink? If yes, which heatsink should I use? Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in