GTX 1080 Ti vs RTX 2080 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GTX 1080 Ti vs RTX 2080

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 29)
GTX 1080 Ti vs RTX 2080

Guy i'm looking to buy either one of these cards.

Where i come from the Palit GTX 1080 Ti Super JetStream is USD 833 and the Palit GeForce RTX™ 2080 GamingPro OC is USD 1000.

I game at 2K and don't have any plans on going up to 4K.

Please advice me on which card is better at these price points.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 12:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 129 (Unique: 90)
Depends on whether you care for the Ray Tracing and willing to stick to the newest Windows 10 builds that have a ton of bugs. I would get RTX 2080 - it is more future-proof, but I, as someone who already has GTX 1080 Ti, won't upgrade until the next generation comes out.

The Machine
(17 items)
CPU
Core i7 8700K
Motherboard
ASUS Z370 ROG Maximus Hero X WiFi
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Classified Kingpin
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Optical Drive
LG WH12LS39 12x BD
Power Supply
Corsair 850W Gold
Cooling
Cryorig Universal R1 Dual Tower, 4x Noctua 140mm case fans
Case
Corsair Graphite 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 x64 LTSC 1809-17763
Monitor
LG 32GK850G-B
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Mouse
Logitech G903
Mousepad
QcK
Audio
ASUS Xonar DGX w/ UNi Xonar Low-latency drivers
Other
Xbox One Afterglow & Dual Shock 4 Controllers
Other
i1Display Pro colorimeter, i1Pro 2 spectrophotometer
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Definitely I will go with RTX 2080 as its a new gen card but if you want to save some bucks then 1080ti will not a bad choice as the performance of the both card is almost similar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 60)
Quote: Originally Posted by dantoddd View Post
Guy i'm looking to buy either one of these cards.

Where i come from the Palit GTX 1080 Ti Super JetStream is USD 833 and the Palit GeForce RTX™ 2080 GamingPro OC is USD 1000.

I game at 2K and don't have any plans on going up to 4K.

Please advice me on which card is better at these price points.
How long do you plan on having the card? DLSS (if it works out okay) could be a really nice feature to have when the cards performance is not up to snuff (at native resolution). Otherwise, they seem pretty similar. In some games the 2080 loses by a very small amount (I've seen it losing by 1-2 fps in GTA V, but can't remember which review), in others, the 2080 wins by a decent amount (like Rainbow 6: Siege, per TPU's review). Not sure if 10% overall is enough to push games from unplayable-to-playable, but it could be worth it for you.

Can't really go wrong with either card, but for long term, the 2080 is a safer bet for more performance (and the difference will likely get bigger as time passes).

Though, I personally, would take the 1080ti and save for the next upgrade [if you stay around a gen behind you can still get decent performance for a lot less cost]. I would rather have more frequent, cheaper upgrades than less frequent 'better' upgrades.

My philosophy with hardware (and tech in general) is "buy low, sell low." If you bought a 980TI when they came out, you paid ~$600+, a year or two later it could be worth ~half that (I paid $325 for a 980ti with a water-block in 2017), card is now worth ~$250ish (with the block); I'll only lose ~$100 (33%) vs $300 (50%) on the card. Obviously this is case-by-case thing and depends on the used market, but I think it is a pretty good philosophy to have.

I am SUPER biased though, 90%+ of my hardware/electronics are used or open box. "One man's trash is another man's treasure" fits me to a T .
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 02:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 14)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post

Though, I personally, would take the 1080ti and save for the next upgrade [if you stay around a gen behind you can still get decent performance for a lot less cost]. I would rather have more frequent, cheaper upgrades than less frequent 'better' upgrades.

My philosophy with hardware (and tech in general) is "buy low, sell low." If you bought a 980TI when they came out, you paid ~$600+, a year or two later it could be worth ~half that (I paid $325 for a 980ti with a water-block in 2017), card is now worth ~$250ish (with the block); I'll only lose ~$100 (33%) vs $300 (50%) on the card. Obviously this is case-by-case thing and depends on the used market, but I think it is a pretty good philosophy to have.

I am SUPER biased though, 90%+ of my hardware/electronics are used or open box. "One man's trash is another man's treasure" fits me to a T .
Your buying strategy makes sense to me, although it also means you probably have no warranty.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Your buying strategy makes sense to me, although it also means you probably have no warranty.
Yep, I usually try to get an invoice or MSI/Gigabyte cards for the serial number warranties. *Knocks on wood* luckily, other than some RAM (which probably has the easiest RMA's ever), haven't ever had anything die that I wasn't trying to kill (though I may have repressed some memories).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 29)
thanks for all the input. I ended buying MSI gaming trio x 2080 Ti

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 12:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by dantoddd View Post
thanks for all the input. I ended buying MSI gaming trio x 2080 Ti
Nice card, enjoy it!

(Super jealous by the way!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in