Are ex-mining cards worth getting? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Are ex-mining cards worth getting?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
I am going to say if I had the $149 I spent on the Power Color Red Dragon RX 570 8Gb with choice of 2 AAA free games I would do it again , I even like the card over my RX 580 8Gb for some odd reason It just seems the target AMD was really after as maybe why Sapphire is toying with 16Gb RX 570

Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H CF
G-SKill 16Gb
Red Dragon RX 570 8Gb
Corsair TX 650 watt

https://valid.x86.fr/yhrtin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
Personnally I'd buy an ex-mining card, if it was 1-2 yr old. But only if I really trusted that it wasn't any older, so you'd pretty much have to buy from a friend or someone that could show u the receipt and the serial #s match etc.

I probably would have got a used 1080ti, if they weren't so expensive here in Canada. But on the other hand, I really really didn't want to spend that much on a used card from ebay, with no proof of it's usage history, just someone saying..it works.

No one's done a real study, with real statistics on this stuff. CPUs sure can last a long time at 24/7 usage. It's the external parts that fail 1st usually, and even the solder fails before the chips themselves a lot of times it seems.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 85)
So I'm glad I found this thread. On ebay I just purchased a MSI Graphics Card Radeon RX 580 Armor 4gb OC to replace the 670 Windforce 2GB in my sons PC. I got a really good deal on it, $100 to my door. In the listing he stated he was just upgrading his computer and it was only 8 months old. He also has a motherboard and RAM for sale as well, so that somewhat checks out. I also emailed him and stated I still wanted it either way, but please let me know if it was a mining card so I would know how it was previously used. Once again he confirmed it was only for gaming. Now, obviously there is a chance that he could be lying, so I'm going to test it as if it were a mining card. So I'll run some benchmarks on a loop, maybe furmark. In my possession, this card will not be overclocked. Any advice on the best way to test it / determine that it should last? What's a normal temp for these guys? It will be in a Coolermaster Elite 130 case, so there is no fan next to the GPU, only a vent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in