Are ex-mining cards worth getting? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Are ex-mining cards worth getting?

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Turtle Lives Matter

Rep: 430 (Unique: 331)
Are ex-mining cards worth getting?

I'm seeing a lot of ~$100 RX470/480/570/580 ect flooding ebay. Obviously most of these are old miner cards. I've been due to upgrade my HD 7850s forever, which I bought the first one for $140 new and the second for like $80 used. I usually get the new mid-range cards in the $150 range, but that hasn't been possible with the state of inflated prices over the past few years. Now finally seems like a great time to shop mid-range cards. With new ones already sub-$150, would it worth taking a chance on a used one? Obviously I'm worried about worn out capacitors and fans (the two likely components that wear out).

I'd like to hear some feedback from both penny pinching gamers and miners alike.

I's also likely that I'll be doing a whole platform upgrade on my main rig in a few months...probably to AM4. I don't play the very newest games. Mostly good ones from the bargain bin 1-2+ years old.

FISTBORKUS
(17 items)
CPU
R5 1600 @3850MHz
Motherboard
GA-AX370-Gaming K5
GPU
XFX RX 570 4GB 1435/2100
RAM
2x8GB RipjawsV @3333CL14
Hard Drive
VPN-100 NVMe
Power Supply
SuperNOVA G3 650W
Cooling
TPC-612
Cooling
2x EVGA 120mm FX
Cooling
2x Cooler Master Air Flow 140mm
Cooling
Cougar Vortex 120mm
Case
HAF XB
Operating System
10 Pro
Monitor
Samsung UE590
Keyboard
G105
Mouse
Devastator II
Mouse
Logi M570
Audio
Z623
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 08:20 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 92 (Unique: 67)
Hi,
Paypal and ebay have pretty good protections so you can always send it back if you have issues with it

Most problems with mining cards are obvious
One never knows the farms cooling and one knows they were pushed 24/7...
Get lots of images of it before.

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 08:30 AM
1689 Federalist

Rep: 248 (Unique: 213)
I am fine with mining cards. But I would prefer to get one from a site like this then eBay.

The main thing is just get one with warranty. I got one off CL recently. Had two years warranty with EVGA so I know if there are any issues I'm good.

Pick a brand that has a good reputation for their RMA service. That's my top priority for buying used.

Which means as much as I love Asus products I'm scared of them the way they often handle rmas.

Black Box
(11 items)
CPU
R5 2600X
Motherboard
Asus Strix B450-I
GPU
Sapphire Reference RX 5700
RAM
GSkill 16gb 3200c14 Flare
Hard Drive
500gb SSD
Power Supply
EVGA G1+ 850
Cooling
Macho Rev B
Case
NZXT H200 Black
Monitor
LG 32GK650F-B 1440p 144hz
Mouse
Sensei Raw
Audio
Sony Core Bookshelves
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 10:13 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 92 (Unique: 67)
Hi,
Yeah asus gpu's off the list lol

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 91 (Unique: 72)
Quote: Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
I am fine with mining cards. But I would prefer to get one from a site like this then eBay.

The main thing is just get one with warranty. I got one off CL recently. Had two years warranty with EVGA so I know if there are any issues I'm good.

Pick a brand that has a good reputation for their RMA service. That's my top priority for buying used.

Which means as much as I love Asus products I'm scared of them the way they often handle rmas.
As an ex-miner and current gamer, this is good advice.

Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Yeah asus gpu's off the list lol [IMGclass=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Asus makes high quality GPU's with some of the best quality cooling solutions of any video card I came across. But if their warranty is lacking it's not worth buying.

I had ~35k worth of video cards during my heyday mining, and in my experience Gigabyte and Asus cards have proven themselves to be the most hardy and resilient overall. Though do keep in mind that any product will fail if not maintained by the operator, doubly so when under high stress.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:17 PM
1689 Federalist

Rep: 248 (Unique: 213)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post

Asus makes high quality GPU's with some of the best quality cooling solutions of any video card I came across. But if their warranty is lacking it's not worth buying.

I had ~35k worth of video cards during my heyday mining, and in my experience Gigabyte and Asus cards have proven themselves to be the most hardy and resilient overall. Though do keep in mind that any product will fail if not maintained by the operator, doubly so when under high stress.
That's a lot of gpus. Interesting to hear your results with those brands. I have had good success with gigabyte cards and they usually have great coolers. This makes me more confident to buy them.

Black Box
(11 items)
CPU
R5 2600X
Motherboard
Asus Strix B450-I
GPU
Sapphire Reference RX 5700
RAM
GSkill 16gb 3200c14 Flare
Hard Drive
500gb SSD
Power Supply
EVGA G1+ 850
Cooling
Macho Rev B
Case
NZXT H200 Black
Monitor
LG 32GK650F-B 1440p 144hz
Mouse
Sensei Raw
Audio
Sony Core Bookshelves
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
I wouldn't buy a card from a random unless they provided proof that the GPUs were mined on properly. A mining card doesn't have that hard of a life assuming they optimized the power/clockspeed ratio. If a miner is paying for power and GPU's they need the GPUs to crunch as much data as possible without drawing too much power and without any down time. In the long run a lower core clock, voltage and TDP are critical for making money, especially as ETH got harder to mine. Plus ETH wasn't super core intensive, it's actually hardest on the ram and the ram is likely to be the hardest component to break. Sure the fans are probably worn out but the same place makes all GPU fans so they should be easy to replace if you know the S/N (on the back of the fan).

I'd buy any working GPU if the price is right but for mining cards as long as they weren't abused I don't see an issue with paying normal used prices.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
Quote: Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
That's a lot of gpus. Interesting to hear your results with those brands. I have had good success with gigabyte cards and they usually have great coolers. This makes me more confident to buy them.
Does that apply to both Nvidia and AMD cards?

Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post

Again: Applicable to both Nvidia and AMD? I was under the impression that EVGA is the 'go-to' card for Nvidia and Sapphire is the 'equivalent' 'go-to' for AMD/Radeon cards. This is the first time I've read Asus and Gigabyte recommended - and does it matter what model or is certain ones?

I'm looking for a used card and wonder what to look for (I posted a separate thread on this). Also, how does one know if someone was properly mining their card.

I was wondering if someone has in their description 'modded bios to boost clock' whether that is normal or because the card was mined previously? Is it something to worry about? I read that mining cards aren't necessarily bad because often they undervolt the cards but there seems to be a difference of opinion - seems like 50% say 'don't worry' whereas the other half of people say to avoid mining cards.

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
I wouldn't buy a card from a random unless they provided proof that the GPUs were mined on properly. A mining card doesn't have that hard of a life assuming they optimized the power/clockspeed ratio. If a miner is paying for power and GPU's they need the GPUs to crunch as much data as possible without drawing too much power and without any down time. In the long run a lower core clock, voltage and TDP are critical for making money, especially as ETH got harder to mine. Plus ETH wasn't super core intensive, it's actually hardest on the ram and the ram is likely to be the hardest component to break. Sure the fans are probably worn out but the same place makes all GPU fans so they should be easy to replace if you know the S/N (on the back of the fan).

I'd buy any working GPU if the price is right but for mining cards as long as they weren't abused I don't see an issue with paying normal used prices.
What's a scenario or example of a mining card being abused? What are signs to look for?

Thanks.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
It totaly depends that how the miner used the card, you can only judge the card after physically checking the performance. You can give a try to those card as ebay gives full refund if the products not working properly
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 91 (Unique: 72)
Relying on eBay's refund policy is not a foolproof way of doing things. It may be better than buying on Craigslist but there are as many horror stories with eBay refunds as there are happily refunded customers. As a customer buying on eBay I was personally ripped off by a seller who posted a convincing argument during the dispute resolution process.

Just urging caution is all. If the deal looks to good to be true it's best to pass on it.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in