Do 1080 ti re-sellers not understand how the market works? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Do 1080 ti re-sellers not understand how the market works?

post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
The market is in need of correction. I can understand the new GPU pricing but honestly imo, an GTX1080Ti at this point should be max 200USD (should more like 150USD).

Also, its pretty hard to sell computer parts nowadays Most users are satisfied with there computers so therefore the people who want to upgrade consistantly is small. You all should should be only paying only 10-20% of its original costs (unless it new item out less than one year but minimum 50% discount). I blame human greed and trying to recover the most as possible (same thing occurs with other expensive luxury goods).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:35 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 284 (Unique: 209)
Depends, in EU finding a cheap 1080Ti is near impossible, I haven't seen one, they all sell 2nd hand close to what new used to sell for and new ones are not sold anymore in stores.
In US you can find them around $500.

There is simple solution, don't pay outrageous 2nd hand prices, haggle and haggle. At best you want to pick up a GPU in person anyway and even then it's often quite risky and seller often doesn't turn out as they portrait the item, warranty information not present, something bent on the card, some weird story or general lack of care for electronics... it can be a mine field on 2nd hand market and paying more than 50% for an old card that's been used all it's designed life already is not good at all. You never know when these cards are gonna give up when they already ran for 2 years, sometimes maybe even often were mined on exclusively or when not gaming on. Modern GPUs do die even with their crazy Nvidia limits to make sure the chips die as least as possible.

The supply for expensive when new, used worthwhile cards to upgrade to is small.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:41 PM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1089 (Unique: 517)
Quote: Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
I don't understand, where are they going for $500 more than a 2080? Some crazy ebay seller? I have been surprised that the 1080ti has fallen as low as it has. Look at the market place there are evga cards with 2 years warranty for $550 that the dude can't sell. Sure they were mined but still. The cheapest 2080 is $699? And is pretty likely to die on you.
I don't understand the new market for 1080Ti's to be honest. On Amazon, for example, almost all of their 1080Ti's are listed for over $1000! How can that be???

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1080ti&i=...r_browse-bin_1

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 123 (Unique: 94)
Quote: Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
The market is in need of correction. I can understand the new GPU pricing but honestly imo, an GTX1080Ti at this point should be max 200USD (should more like 150USD).

Also, its pretty hard to sell computer parts nowadays Most users are satisfied with there computers so therefore the people who want to upgrade consistantly is small. You all should should be only paying only 10-20% of its original costs (unless it new item out less than one year but minimum 50% discount). I blame human greed and trying to recover the most as possible (same thing occurs with other expensive luxury goods).
You can understand the fastest gaming GPU being $1300 but a 1080ti (the 2nd or 3rd fastest gaming GPU) should be no more than $200?

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:10 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 57 (Unique: 47)
That sort of logic applies only to modified cars and Faberge eggs. Lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by iSpark View Post
I suppose they would rather have no sales than to lower the price.
First rule in business is don't lose money. Second rule is to see rule #1.

Last edited by speed_demon; 01-21-2019 at 11:14 PM.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:30 AM
OG AMD

Rep: 574 (Unique: 454)
And yet everyone screaming Radeon VII is way too expensive at $699. That's 2080 performance (+20%over 1080Ti) with even more VRAM...

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:42 AM
Down and out, for now.

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
Somebody tried to sell this set for 10 times as much on amazon so I bought it through ebay as there then wasn't any other at that time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PRIMA-Ceram...d+Cookware+Set

Somebody have cornered the market? Remember when they talked about free markets? and free choice?

The best choice now are to buy less often, cheaper or not at all.

ps I only bought this cheap set as I wanted something that was easy to clean. I knew I would not use it much as I had bought a steamer and Tefal Actifry'er for spring rolls and french fries. It is thin metal so it will probably bend if I put hot water on it. I had to give the smaller pot CPR, 40 pressures to get it strait.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:29 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
First rule in business is don't lose money. Second rule is to see rule #1.
And the third rule is Liquidation Sale or Overstock Sale lol

post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:48 AM
in da freezing hell

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Depends, in EU finding a cheap 1080Ti is near impossible, I haven't seen one, they all sell 2nd hand close to what new used to sell for and new ones are not sold anymore in stores.
In US you can find them around $500.

There is simple solution, don't pay outrageous 2nd hand prices, haggle and haggle. At best you want to pick up a GPU in person anyway and even then it's often quite risky and seller often doesn't turn out as they portrait the item, warranty information not present, something bent on the card, some weird story or general lack of care for electronics... it can be a mine field on 2nd hand market and paying more than 50% for an old card that's been used all it's designed life already is not good at all. You never know when these cards are gonna give up when they already ran for 2 years, sometimes maybe even often were mined on exclusively or when not gaming on. Modern GPUs do die even with their crazy Nvidia limits to make sure the chips die as least as possible.

The supply for expensive when new, used worthwhile cards to upgrade to is small.
Yes, been looking for a 1080ti in french and swiss sites and the cheapest (new) was 880 E ! For used (read: mining) ones, I stumbled across a 250 E one ... advertised as not working, for parts only !!! *** ? For working used ones (if you have to be picky enough to want a working one), I had one or 2 at 550 E in the UK. Seems the UK is the most reasonable market ATM ...
But still, totally crazed prices, in Europe. I understand the US is quite different in this regard ...

Frankly, no way to fork out close to 900 E for new or 60% on a mining 1080ti, I'll stay on my 970 until sellers are desperate enough. I'm still at 1080p and I'll delay a bit the VR stuff.

Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
I don't understand the new market for 1080Ti's to be honest. On Amazon, for example, almost all of their 1080Ti's are listed for over $1000! How can that be???

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1080ti&i=...r_browse-bin_1
I think inventory has not yet rotten enough for sellers to be desperate. Let's wait 6-12 months

Marvin
(16 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K [email protected] GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Impact mini-itx
GPU
Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini
RAM
Trident X, 2 X 8 Go, 2400 MHz, CAS 10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 512GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop SSHD, 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
Corsair H90
Case
Thermaltake Core V1
Operating System
W7
Operating System
SteamOS
Monitor
Big Samsung TV screen, sofa operated
Keyboard
Logitech K810
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Bose Soundtouch 1300
Other
Steam Controler
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:09 AM
Da Boss

Rep: 140 (Unique: 121)
I've given up on buying new in the GPU market. Prices are getting to crazy for my blood. When you have to decide what is more important; Mortgage, food, utility, vehicle insurance or a GTX 2080ti, it's to much. Just like mobile phones, I stay a generation behind.

Kylo RED
(16 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1600X 6c/12t
Motherboard
MSI B350 Tomahawk
GPU
PNY GTX 980 Reference
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB DDR4 2800mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 pro 128GB
Hard Drive
Seagate 3TB HDD
Power Supply
SeaSonic X Series 760w 80plus Gold
Cooling
Custom Water Cooled Loop [Apogee XL, D5 Pump, Enermax Neochanger, 3/8 x 5/8 Red Tubing, Silver Fittings]
Cooling
Deepcool RF RGB 120MM Fans x6
Case
Fractal Design Define S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
27" Qnix QX2710 Evolution II 2560x1440
Keyboard
Corsair K70 MX Red
Mouse
Corsair MM200 XL
Mouse
Corsair Glaive
Audio
Plantronics RIG 500HD 7.1 SURROUND
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in