Guide: How to use 2nd GPU for rendering while other GPU + display - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Guide: How to use 2nd GPU for rendering while other GPU + display

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 17)
Guide: How to use 2nd GPU for rendering while other GPU + display

Hi,

Wanted to share how I finally solved a problem I have had trying to use a discrete GPU for processing while having your display connected to the onboard igpu. In my particular case because I couldn't fit my MSI Gaming X 1060GTX in a small HTPC or in my case my Carbide 240 I had to vertically mount it and only had room to expose the hdmi and DP connectors up top such that my Oculus is hooked up on the hdmi connector and my monitor is connected to the back on the onboard Intel 630HD DVI port. The problem here is some apps or games will use the iGpu as opposed to the Nvidia 1060GTX prefered GPU despite even setting a preferred GPU via Windows Display Graphics settings on a app by app basis.

Trying to benchmark using 3dMark would use the iGpu and weirdly enough Heaven benchmark would work with the Windows preferred gpu solution but that was the exception than the rule. This was with Windows 10 Pro Insider preview 18305. So how do we get it to work 100% of the time with every app?

Well your going to need a couple things. 1. A dummy terminal plug hooked up to the discrete gpu (I'm using a displayport adapter) and 2. Display Fusion software. 3. Afterburner for monitoring gpu usage to verify its working.

After the dummy terminal is installed you can merge your main display and the dummy display in Display settings so that both screens are cloned and that your discrete gpu gets activated. Also got to set your iGpu's screen as primary. The dialogues after doing that will get lost. You have to use DisplayFusion to hit 'Winx-Ctrl-X' to bring back the window apps when they get lost on the other screen onto your primary screen.

Now when ever you launch your apps they will use your discrete gpu and output the video onto your primary screen via the iGpu!

Going to clean up this guide later a little more. If anyone has ideas please add comments of your experiences.

Thank you

Gigabyte Auros Master Z390 - 9900K @ 5.0ghz (3.22v)
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 2 x 8GB 3200mhz XMP
EVGA 1080 FTW2 in SLI - Corsair H1200i PSU
Heatkiller IV Cpu Block - 240 + 360 Rads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in