how to force a GPU to stop outputting a signal? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

how to force a GPU to stop outputting a signal?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 455 (Unique: 387)
I *THINK* what you want from Windows can only be accessed (easily) through the Windows power settings, and there you can only set how long "inactive" before it turns off a monitor, and nothing else, and it'll wake back up - even if you have two GPU's and monitors I don't think you'll get to control them individually, just set one time when they'll both sleep. I haven't seen any applications that add to that, it has been a few years since I've had two GPU's and monitors though.

I don't even know if "sleep" is supported in basic compatibility mode without a driver, it might not be. I don't think I'm going to be much help If what might be "advanced" features are suppoted in compatibility mode then you'll probably need a crash couse in Powercfg.exe command line, that seems to have the ability to control the power states of individual devices.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...d-line-options

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
I *THINK* what you want from Windows can only be accessed (easily) through the Windows power settings, and there you can only set how long "inactive" before it turns off a monitor, and nothing else, and it'll wake back up - even if you have two GPU's and monitors I don't think you'll get to control them individually, just set one time when they'll both sleep. I haven't seen any applications that add to that, it has been a few years since I've had two GPU's and monitors though.

I don't even know if "sleep" is supported in basic compatibility mode without a driver, it might not be. I don't think I'm going to be much help If what might be "advanced" features are suppoted in compatibility mode then you'll probably need a crash couse in Powercfg.exe command line, that seems to have the ability to control the power states of individual devices.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...d-line-options
for me it's 2 GPU's but only ONE monitor (hence the problem)

in OS2 standby option is greyed out (can only shutdown or reset) maybe cause GPU1 has no drivers for OS2

but when I type powercfg /devicequery s1_supported or powercfg /devicequery s3_supported then both cards (the GPU2 with drivers installed, AND the GPU1 which shows as 'video controller VGA compatible 005' ) are in the list

that said - there is no option in powercfg that specifically puts a sleep a specific device AFAIK

generally speaking when someone has 2 OS and 2 GPU's (one for each OS) how do they manage that?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 474 (Unique: 320)
What about running your second OS in a virtual machine through VirtualBox? Do you really need your second OS running on real hardware? In a VM, it's running on a fake motherboard and a fake GPU, but you can have it access real USB devices or real SATA drives or real serial ports. If you for example only have your second OS installed to use some external device that doesn't work on modern Windows, that kind of thing will work fine in a VM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

yeah it's complicated but I need that 2nd OS to be a real one with full access to my hard drives etc

anyway imagine a dual OS dual GPU (one GPU per OS) with single monitor I can't be the only person to have such a setup no? +_- so someone must've figured out how to make it work
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 12:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 474 (Unique: 320)
Somewhere in my monitor's settings, there's a screen where I can set up shortcuts for the menu buttons. I can make it so switching input is just tapping one of the buttons twice. That's what I used when I had to switch between two PCs with one monitor. Here's a photo of how I have the monitor's buttons set up:

https://i.imgur.com/ZCyEuia.png
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by deepor View Post
Somewhere in my monitor's settings, there's a screen where I can set up shortcuts for the menu buttons. I can make it so switching input is just tapping one of the buttons twice. That's what I used when I had to switch between two PCs with one monitor. Here's a photo of how I have the monitor's buttons set up:

https://i.imgur.com/ZCyEuia.png
I found out a short while ago on my monitor also only 1 button to switch between inputs

that will have to do atm I guess but I still wanna make it full-automatic ^^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in