how to force a GPU to stop outputting a signal? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

how to force a GPU to stop outputting a signal?

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
how to force a GPU to stop outputting a signal?

in windows how can I force a graphics card to stop outputting a signal (from all its ports VGA DVI HDMI etc.)

nb. assume the GPU's operating in basic VGA mode (no drivers installed). eg. because there are no drivers for that card & that OS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
I don't think u can, I don't think there's any way with software to disable that. I could be wrong but I think they all outputs are always on. It would only take a few components to be able to disable/enable an output, but I don't think they bother.

You could try a hammer

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 475 (Unique: 321)
Can you maybe do this in the Control Panel on the screen where you can configure the multi-monitor setup? Click around on everything there, there has to be a way to make it show the desktop on only one monitor, and I'd then guess Windows will put the other monitors into standby.

I'm currently not at a Windows PC so I can't look at things myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 455 (Unique: 387)
AFAIK they don't always output a signal on all ports, they electrically detect if a device is plugged in and activate that port and initiate a "handshake" (essentially negotiate some basic settings that will work), at least with HDMI,DVI and DP, VGA I'm not so sure about (and I'm not 100% sure about the others let alone VGA). I don't think you can access it, it's hardware/firmware/BIOS level.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by deepor View Post
Can you maybe do this in the Control Panel on the screen where you can configure the multi-monitor setup? Click around on everything there, there has to be a way to make it show the desktop on only one monitor, and I'd then guess Windows will put the other monitors into standby.

I'm currently not at a Windows PC so I can't look at things myself.
mine's the opposite setup actually: 2 GPU's & both connected to 1 SINGLE monitor

I wanna stop one of the two GPU's from outputting a signal

Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
AFAIK they don't always output a signal on all ports, they electrically detect if a device is plugged in and activate that port and initiate a "handshake" (essentially negotiate some basic settings that will work), at least with HDMI,DVI and DP, VGA I'm not so sure about (and I'm not 100% sure about the others let alone VGA). I don't think you can access it, it's hardware/firmware/BIOS level.
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaltenbrunner View Post
I don't think u can, I don't think there's any way with software to disable that. I could be wrong but I think they all outputs are always on. It would only take a few components to be able to disable/enable an output, but I don't think they bother.

You could try a hammer
ok but then how does standby work? when going on standby Windows somehow makes the GPU stop sending anything to monitor (whether a monitor is plugged in or not) I'm trying to emulate this aspect & only with 1 card, you said this shouldn't be possible so how does Windows do it??
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 455 (Unique: 387)
I don't think you'll be able to get your hands on to all of the "Low-Level" driver functions that are available to Windows, unless someone has specifically made a tool that exposes them to users, and I don't know of any.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

What is your actual problem? You say you use just one monitor. What does this then mean for you that you want that one card to not output anything?

I understood things like @Darren9 . The hardware will detect if there is something connected to an output port. And then Windows will only try to enable the output ports where this makes sense, the ports without a cable plugged into them will not be enabled.

EDIT:

Maybe you are using this GPU in another OS in dual-boot, and you don't actually care about using this card in Windows and you just want it off?

In that case, how about disabling the card in the Windows Device Manager? There should then be no driver loading for the card, and it should do nothing.

Last edited by deepor; 02-11-2019 at 05:30 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

What is your actual problem? You say you use just one monitor. What does this then mean for you that you want that one card to not output anything?

I understood things like @Darren9 . The hardware will detect if there is something connected to an output port. And then Windows will only try to enable the output ports where this makes sense, the ports without a cable plugged into them will not be enabled.

EDIT:

Maybe you are using this GPU in another OS in dual-boot, and you don't actually care about using this card in Windows and you just want it off?

In that case, how about disabling the card in the Windows Device Manager? There should then be no driver loading for the card, and it should do nothing.
this is the problem:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/74-g...-os-level.html

so like you said at the end that GPU1 is incompatible with my OS2 (no drivers) yet it keeps sending a signal to the monitor (a "black" signal I guess: monitor is on but shows black screen, so different from a standby because since it receives a signal from GPU1, it refuses to switch to GPU2 & I've to do it manually every time I boot into OS2)

and apparently "disabling" something in windows is meaningless since it doesn't disable a component or affect it in any way "physically" so what's the use of even disabling anything come to think of it...

Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
I don't think you'll be able to get your hands on to all of the "Low-Level" driver functions that are available to Windows, unless someone has specifically made a tool that exposes them to users, and I don't know of any.
so it is a low level driver function then?
and theoretically it is possible then?

(sounds like something that could be necessary I mean there are many dual-boot & dual-GPU rigs out there & no one thought of that yet?)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Maybe it's the monitor deciding to do this. It might see that it is connected to a card because electricity is flowing, and then it wants to use that input signal.

The monitor should have a menu where you can select which input it uses for the picture it displays. Can you get things to work through that menu manually? The monitor might not forget this and will remember it through a reboot, and then you will only have to do this work whenever you switch OS.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Maybe it's the monitor deciding to do this. It might see that it is connected to a card because electricity is flowing, and then it wants to use that input signal.

The monitor should have a menu where you can select which input it uses for the picture it displays. Can you get things to work through that menu manually? The monitor might not forget this and will remember it through a reboot, and then you will only have to do this work whenever you switch OS.
of course - that's the problem everytime I boot into OS2 I've to use the monitor menu to switch to secondary input

remember that input depends on OS so if I boot into OS1 monitor has to choose input from GPU1 (does so automatically cause GPU1 is the main GPU so gets activated first when booting?)
but if I boot into OS2 then monitor must choose input from GPU2...which is does NOT until I tell it to

so the only way to avoid having to press monitor buttons would be to get windows (from OS2) to somehow put GPU1 on standby so that monitor only sees GPU2 signal :/
and disabling GPU1 in OS2 ain't enough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in