gamestream suttering (moonlight) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

gamestream suttering (moonlight)

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 2)
gamestream suttering (moonlight)

Hi Guys,

have an annoying issue with moonlight and gamestream. Basically it works very well on 720P 60 and 1080P 30, there is a massive stutter at 1080P 60 though that i cant diagnose. I've also tried steam streaming and its even worse than moonlight

Client PC is an HP AMD A10-4600M
Wireless AC Connection speed 250mbits to 500 mbits on average

Host PC:
6600K @ 4.5GHZ
GTX 1070 EVGA SC Gaming (Stock clocks)
1gbps cat 6

I've also tried my laptop hardwired, however it only has a 100 mbit nic, either way its the same issue with both steam and moonlight. Steam basically just says slow display and lags like crazy. Im thinking i should uninstall geforce experience and reinstall? I also had a theory that the hardware encoding was taxing the GTX 1070 which is already at 100% utilization while playing mass effect Andromeda for example which is causing the stuttering on the laptop. Just for the record though the game on the desktop looks smooth with over 60FPS. Would it help if i enable the intel IGPU in the bios for intel quicksync and try and configure that to perform the encoding instead of the gtx 1070?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:08 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 304 (Unique: 243)
Try Parsec w/ h265? How much bandwidth does gamestream actually use @108 0p 60fps? Maybe do some large file transfers from the host pc to the client pc and monitor throuput to make sure you actually have enough bandwidth over the wireless?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
Try Parsec w/ h265? How much bandwidth does gamestream actually use @108 0p 60fps? Maybe do some large file transfers from the host pc to the client pc and monitor throuput to make sure you actually have enough bandwidth over the wireless?

Its a pathetic 20 mbits at 1080P but you can change it, strangely enough i set it to 20 at 720P and there is no stuttering. However, if i set 1080P to 10mbits from 20 there is no change in the stuttering. I guess i can open task manager and check it. Ill give parsec a try though aswell, thats also a good idea...both have a solid state drive so i should be able to get a proper test of the network speed. I almost feel that the GTX 1070 doesnt have the nuts to run the game and also encode H265. One more weird thing is it works initially at 1080P for a few minutes than gets choppy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

just checked and it turns out software decoder seems to work better, whats going on here? Thought hardware decoding is better?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 10:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 464 (Unique: 312)
Maybe the parts of the chip that do the hardware decoding are just not strong enough to do that amount of pixels? The chip is a bit older (from 2012 or so), maybe at that time they had just planned for 1080p 24fps or so, just what was needed for movies.

About software decoding, there's nothing really wrong with it, the picture will look the same. The only problem is that it will use a lot more power and the CPU usage will be high. That's what makes hardware decoding better, especially when you are running on battery on a laptop.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by deepor View Post
Maybe the parts of the chip that do the hardware decoding are just not strong enough to do that amount of pixels? The chip is a bit older (from 2012 or so), maybe at that time they had just planned for 1080p 24fps or so, just what was needed for movies.

About software decoding, there's nothing really wrong with it, the picture will look the same. The only problem is that it will use a lot more power and the CPU usage will be high. That's what makes hardware decoding better, especially when you are running on battery on a laptop.
Yeah but i think battery power is a moot point since my rig is a desktop, from what i understand the desktop encodes the video and the laptop decodes it. The encoding is where you need the horsepower i believe which is what i've been trying to ask the GTX1070 to do. You are saying the GTX 1070 chip is from 2012?

At any rate i have some really good news which i hope will help others aswell. After months of frustration and 720P resolution with moonlight... all i did was increase the power slider on the video card with MSI afterburner and push the ram frequency up 200MHZ and now moonlight is streaming butter smooth 1080P 60FPS. This means i can now plug the laptop into my projector for 1080P gaming. Im pretty sure the ram frequency had nothing to do with it, but the power limit makes sense. I believe the card was starved for juice, and even though the games ran great on the desktop they were laggy and slow on anything above 30 FPS 1080P with moonlight on the laptop. Steam streaming is still a pile of steaming crap but its usable at least just with alot of micro stuttering...moonlight works very well though set at 40mbits so ill be using that.

Last edited by kuziwk; 02-14-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in