Why don't people (Tech Reviewers) NOT understand VRAM USAGE vs VRAM ALLOCATION? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Why don't people (Tech Reviewers) NOT understand VRAM USAGE vs VRAM ALLOCATION?

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Why don't people (Tech Reviewers) NOT understand VRAM USAGE vs VRAM ALLOCATION?

Why is it that major Tech Reviewers, and even AMD themselves, do not understand this simple concept of VRAM allocation vs actual VRAM usage? Seeing this misconception repeated over and over by people does sometimes get a little annoying. But when major tech reviewers on YouTube are out there conveying incorrect information to hundreds of thousands of people, saying "so and so card can't run this because of VRAM limitations" and "this card can", that's where I draw the line and feel something has to be said (not as if they will see this or it will have any influence on them).

I'm honestly not trying to turn this into a RTX 2080 vs Radeon Vii thread, because we have a ton of them going on already. This argument would apply exactly the same to ANY two cards that have different amount's of VRAM buffer. I'm simply trying to point out that some out there are spewing misinformation that is casing a particular product in a negative light, and that's wrong, whether it be Nvidia or AMD or anybody else.

Look at a chart that AMD produced themselves.

https://hothardware.com/photo-galler....jpg&tag=popup

AMD quotes every one of these games as "needing" over 8GB of VRAM, yet every single one of those games, at maximum settings at 4K, run perfectly fine on an 8GB card. Now, is AMD really this stupid to not know the difference between usage vs allocation, or are they purposely misleading customers to think those games NEED more than 8GB of VRAM?

Just saw this video pop up this morning from that AdoredTV guy, Again, here's another spewing this VRAM usage nonsense in his review.

And that Kyle from Bitwit, with over 1.4 million subscribers? Yeah, he's on there spewing the same nonsense, saying GTA V NEEDS over 10GB of VRAM, RE2 using 16GB, etc.

This is just the tip of the cake. I won't bother posting more.

I'm simply asking, how long is this campaign of lies and misinformation going to continue? Why do I, a nobody, with no YouTube subscribers, no deep technical knowledge of GPU's, totally understand this, but people who are conveying information to millions of people, and even major companies like AMD, do not understand this?

Main Gaming Rig
(9 items)
Alienware Alpha R1
(5 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU
ROG STRIX RTX 2080
RAM
16GB ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4 3000mhz @ 3466mhz
Hard Drive
WD BLUE 1TB
Power Supply
Thermaltake Grand Toughpower RGB 750W GOLD
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Corsair 570X RGB
Operating System
Windows 10
CPU
Intel i7 4785T
GPU
Nvidia 860M 2GB+BlindRageVbios+335Core+650Memory
RAM
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Hard Drive
1TB 7200RPM
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Waiting for 10 and 7nm

Rep: 865 (Unique: 492)
The issue is not as clear cut as you are making it out to be. You are going off on the premise that games allocate a lot more VRAM than they actually need just because and that there is no technical merit in doing so. And while sometimes it may be a worst case scenario prevention, the reality is that the relation between VRAM and system RAM in game usage is not very well understood.

TechSpot went some way recently on shedding some light on the matter. And what they found is that to get the best out of the 2080 Ti you actually need to have your system equipped with... 32 GB of RAM. Not all games tested show a difference vs. 16 GB of RAM and in those that do the difference isn't very large, but it's definitely there. That alone would warrant further inspection on the whys and hows.

https://www.techspot.com/article/177...ram-pc-gaming/

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
The problem I have is some are putting out information that isn't true. People are claiming that 8GB cards cannot play a particular game at certain settings because it does not adequate VRAM, in this case being 8GB. AMD in their own slide leads us to believe that over 8GB is REQUIRED on certain games.

And the answer to that is clear cut. It's false.

They are using this argument of "this card here uses so and so amounts of VRAM, therefore you NEED this much VRAM". That's what I have issues with.

Now, as to all the specifics of that, why's and how's, true, that isn't as clear cut.

Main Gaming Rig
(9 items)
Alienware Alpha R1
(5 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU
ROG STRIX RTX 2080
RAM
16GB ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4 3000mhz @ 3466mhz
Hard Drive
WD BLUE 1TB
Power Supply
Thermaltake Grand Toughpower RGB 750W GOLD
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Corsair 570X RGB
Operating System
Windows 10
CPU
Intel i7 4785T
GPU
Nvidia 860M 2GB+BlindRageVbios+335Core+650Memory
RAM
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Hard Drive
1TB 7200RPM
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:46 AM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 940 (Unique: 577)
They're really just entertainers trying to appease their sponsors, they're not any more or less intelligent than the average Joe invested in the hobby. Not sure why this is surprising that they're wrong about a lot of stuff.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 4133
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
X-Ray XL 26" x 14"
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
Audio
AudioSource LS100
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:02 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 284 (Unique: 209)
Virtual Texturing, streaming textures from RAM to VRAM as needed, streaming only pieces you need when VRAM is the limit, etc.

The right people to ask would be people who make/develop the applications for example game engines and how their specific game engine utilizes VRAM and RAM, but oh no that would give competitors insight into their engine and they can't have that so not many developers talk about their technology, how it works, what it can or can't do, etc. and if they do it's after they have moved on to a newer engine such as IDSoft with idtech engines.

Having a lot of detailed objects will definitely eat VRAM and an easy tell tale that a game uses virtual texturing is that on a simple scene it consumes a lot of VRAM and on a complex scene it consumes same amount of VRAM... yep it has preallocated VRAM whether it uses it or not, whether it needs it or not. Games that run 1GB on a simple map yet consume 6GB when spawn 50 different cars instead of 5 with different textures... these likely don't have virtual texturing.

DX11 also has some extras that help with textures, Vulkan probably too if not even earlier as it goes with OGL/Vulkan vs DX.

With virtual texturing you can have higher detail textures for visible or at least near locations instead of allocating EVERYTHING whether it's needed or not (this is what most older games do and why they kept running out of VRAM with too many objects and high resolution textures).

In case of NV and AMD vs VRAM size, it's marketing nothing more, it's in their interest to sell that product so they will say what ever they want, true or false in practical usage.

4GB cards do tend to suffer from low VRAM size nowadays and performance can plummet but it all depends on application, resolution of textures and render space.

There is a similar issue with how CPU/GPU utilization is reported as well, that some may take as a hard truth that 100% utilization oh no it's bottlenecked but in fact the CPU may only be sitting idle waiting for some other resource to be available...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 439 (Unique: 336)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Virtual Texturing, streaming textures from RAM to VRAM as needed, streaming only pieces you need when VRAM is the limit, etc.

The right people to ask would be people who make/develop the applications for example game engines and how their specific game engine utilizes VRAM and RAM, but oh no that would give competitors insight into their engine and they can't have that so not many developers talk about their technology, how it works, what it can or can't do, etc. and if they do it's after they have moved on to a newer engine such as IDSoft with idtech engines.

Having a lot of detailed objects will definitely eat VRAM and an easy tell tale that a game uses virtual texturing is that on a simple scene it consumes a lot of VRAM and on a complex scene it consumes same amount of VRAM... yep it has preallocated VRAM whether it uses it or not, whether it needs it or not. Games that run 1GB on a simple map yet consume 6GB when spawn 50 different cars instead of 5 with different textures... these likely don't have virtual texturing.

DX11 also has some extras that help with textures, Vulkan probably too if not even earlier as it goes with OGL/Vulkan vs DX.

With virtual texturing you can have higher detail textures for visible or at least near locations instead of allocating EVERYTHING whether it's needed or not (this is what most older games do and why they kept running out of VRAM with too many objects and high resolution textures).

In case of NV and AMD vs VRAM size, it's marketing nothing more, it's in their interest to sell that product so they will say what ever they want, true or false in practical usage.

4GB cards do tend to suffer from low VRAM size nowadays and performance can plummet but it all depends on application, resolution of textures and render space.

There is a similar issue with how CPU/GPU utilization is reported as well, that some may take as a hard truth that 100% utilization oh no it's bottlenecked but in fact the CPU may only be sitting idle waiting for some other resource to be available...
Exactly, how VRAM is used depends entirely on how the game was made.
In the "good old days" it was a simple mater of either you had enough vram or you did not. Not enough VRAM and the game would crash have 3 times as much as needed would make no difference.

Now days developers are constantly trying out different and innovative tricks in order to get the most out of the hardware while also building their games robustly as possible so that the games will smartly manage the VRAM and not crash.

Much of that is streaming and swapping or to speak plainly adding and removing data form the VRAM for the best possible result.

So for example there could be a game that is perfectly playable with a 2GB card but will have a lot less dips and stutters running with a 8GB card or perhaps the game has build in automation that adjusts draw distance based on the available memory at any given time.

There are many, many things that can be done and often its not just about the card but also what other hardware it is paired with.

The XFX 4890 post 2 year reference cooler fan bearing service
NZXT Tempest Community
[Worklog] NZXT Tempest eats a 360 rad (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas go_quote.gif

you under-estimate the power of e-peen, you'll whither and waiver to it's power, and finally succumb.
Bow to e-peen and buy.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:22 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3131 (Unique: 1869)
Any claim that more VRAM is the defining factor in performance should be backed up by examples of IQ (texture/asset pop-in) or performance issues (load times, hitching, poor low-end frame rates, etc) on the part with less memory that aren't explained by any other differences. This can sometimes be tricky, but there are usually ways to isolate VRAM use as the primary factor.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post
In the "good old days" it was a simple mater of either you had enough vram or you did not. Not enough VRAM and the game would crash have 3 times as much as needed would make no difference.
These days were the DOS and Windows 9x days. OSes, drivers and APIs have generally been able to allocate more VRAM than locally available on a video card for a very long time, though there are certainly exceptions.

I recall using ShaderMark back in 2004 to test AGP performance using settings that would need more memory than most of my cards of the time had VRAM. It's how I ended up using AGP 4x @ 100MHz rather than 8x at 67MHz, when trying to make ultra textures in Doom 3 playable on a 256MiB card, because the former actually benched better and my Geforce 6800 GT could handle it.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Haswell-E
(15 items)
Broadwell-E
(11 items)
Westmere
(13 items)
CPU
5820K @ 4.25/4.125GHz core/uncore, 1.21/1.2v
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F23c + updated microcode)
GPU
Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti (F3P) @ 2025/1485(5940), 1.031v
RAM
4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-11-12-26-T1, 1.39v
Hard Drive
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.06) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x)
Hard Drive
2x Crucial M4 256GB
Hard Drive
4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus 850 Platinum (SSR-850PX)
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S + 2x Thermalright TY-143
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Monitor
BenQ BL3200PT
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown)
Mouse
Logitech G402
Audio
Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40
CPU
i7-6800K @ 4.2(4.1)/3.4GHz core(AVX)/uncore, 1.345/1.15v
Motherboard
ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.40)
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti Duke OC @ 1950/1485MHz, 1.043v
RAM
4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v
Hard Drive
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe
Hard Drive
2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000x
Cooling
Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct + TY-143
Case
Fractal Design Define R4
Operating System
Windows Server 2016 Datacenter
Audio
ASUS Xonar DX
CPU
X5670 @ 4.3/3.7GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.35 qpi/vtt
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS
GPU
Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+ @ 1080/545, 1.275vGPU/1.394vHBM
RAM
2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2050, 10-11-11-30-T1, 1.52v
RAM
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2050, 10-11-11-30-T1, 1.52v
Hard Drive
OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB
Hard Drive
Hyundai Sapphire 120GB
Hard Drive
3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-860XP2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 14)
Just out of curiosity if a video card had a massive amount of VRAM (say like the 24 GiB Titan RTX or the 16 GiB Radeon VII) would that mean all gaming texture storage would be on the card's VRAM itself rather than system RAM? Would it even be possible to store all compressed gaming texture data for a given game into a 24 GiB footprint?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:40 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 815 (Unique: 548)
Maybe because there's no VRAM allocation bar graph in resource monitor.

It's harder to separate what's being used as "shader cache" (as opposed to on disk) vs actually used by the GPU.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I believe we are only seeing games that push vram now and not like before . AMD is only saying what amount of vram this game can eat at will as it's like reading a good book and the bigger memory the bigger the story as texture packs and scaling 100% is where vram is eating in RD 2 on my RX 580 8Gb as in the end it's pulling over 6Gb from the card just in 1080p .

Xeon X5660 @4.2Ghz
EVGA x58 3way Sli rev 1.2 bios 83
OCZ Gold ram 6 Gb
Corsair 950 watt powersupply
Sapphire R9-280

Last edited by crazycrave; 02-23-2019 at 07:52 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in