Graphics Card VRM Cooling - Concern of Shorting Out? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Graphics Card VRM Cooling - Concern of Shorting Out?

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
Mac by Day, PC by Night

Rep: 0
Graphics Card VRM Cooling - Concern of Shorting Out?

Hey everyone,

I recently added an Arctic Accelero aftermarket cooler to my NVidia 980, which has vastly improved cooling performance. While I also put aluminum heatsinks that came with the cooler on the memory chipset, I did not place them on the VRM for concern of shorting out any circuitry. I've attached a picture with the specific VRM I have in question.

The heatsink coolers I have would stretch across a few of these chipsets (one for every 2) - is there danger in sticking the heatsink on? Do I need to use anti-static tape at all in between the chips?

Appreciate any clarity you guys can provide!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_980_FrontPCBCrop.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	254662  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 16)
I'd think you would want to cover the obvious leads on those inductors to the left of the transistors.

I'd make sure the thermal adhesive doesn't bridge the contacts on the sides of the SMD transistors, I put too much thermal adhesive on those transistors on my Gigabyte 1080Ti Gaming OC and bridged those contacts and the card wouldn't boot until I removed all the heatsinks, cleaned off all the thermal adhesive on the leads and re-attached them with a much smaller amount of thermal adhesive/arctic ceramiqe. This issue made me very glad I had mixed in some arctic ceramique in a 50/50 proportion w/the thermal adhesive.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
use the supplied tape to cover the edges of the mosfets and then place the heatsinks. use a pair of tweezers to make it easier to place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 282 (Unique: 135)
Stock coolers stretch across all those MOSFETs. If you're worried if you can short them out, use a multimeter and measure the resistance from MOSFET to MOSFET.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:39 AM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
I'd think you would want to cover the obvious leads on those inductors to the left of the transistors.

I'd make sure the thermal adhesive doesn't bridge the contacts on the sides of the SMD transistors, I put too much thermal adhesive on those transistors on my Gigabyte 1080Ti Gaming OC and bridged those contacts and the card wouldn't boot until I removed all the heatsinks, cleaned off all the thermal adhesive on the leads and re-attached them with a much smaller amount of thermal adhesive/arctic ceramiqe. This issue made me very glad I had mixed in some arctic ceramique in a 50/50 proportion w/the thermal adhesive.
Largely my opinion on this topic.

Most thermal adhesive that doesn't contain actual metallic filler should not be conductive or capacitive when fully cured, but I don't know what's in the stuff Arctic Cooling includes with their coolers.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Largely my opinion on this topic.

Most thermal adhesive that doesn't contain actual metallic filler should not be conductive or capacitive when fully cured, but I don't know what's in the stuff Arctic Cooling includes with their coolers.
3M posts dielectric strength for at least one of the their thermally conductive epoxy adhesives:
https://www.exdron.co.il/images/Prod...-datasheet.pdf

Wouldn't practically anything increase the permittivity or dielectric constant over air? The contacts of the transistors in my case had been clearly bridged.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:01 AM
Iconoclast

3M posts dielectric strength for at least one of the their thermally conductive epoxy adhesives:
https://www.exdron.co.il/images/Prod...-datasheet.pdf
Is that what Arctic includes with their coolers?

Wouldn't practically anything increase the permittivity or dielectric constant over air?
Many materials are stronger electrical insulators than dry air (including almost all non-metal filled TIMs) or even a vacuum (things like wax, teflon, or mica). Cured epoxy with only ceramic filler is a fairly strong insulator and has completely negligible effects when bridging low voltage contacts. You could submerge and completely encapsulate a video card PCB in the 3M stuff posted above and not experience issues.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:38 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 71 (Unique: 55)
Hi,
Why would it be any different than the stock 980 air cooler config which most would of had a thermal pad on top of memory and vrm..

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Is that what Arctic includes with their coolers?

Many materials are stronger electrical insulators than dry air (including almost all non-metal filled TIMs) or even a vacuum (things like wax, teflon, or mica). Cured epoxy with only ceramic filler is a fairly strong insulator and has completely negligible effects when bridging low voltage contacts. You could submerge and completely encapsulate a video card PCB in the 3M stuff posted above and not experience issues.
The dielectric constant of a 3m thermal epoxy (http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/2...ive-tc2810.pdf) is 4.1 times greater than air which means it has 4 times the capacitance of air in a parallel plate capacitor: 'The capacitance created by the presence of the material is directly related to the Dielectric Constant of the material.' from:
http://www.clippercontrols.com/pages...nt-Values.html
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:39 AM
Iconoclast

The dielectric constant of a 3m thermal epoxy (http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/2...ive-tc2810.pdf) is 4.1 times greater than air which means it has 4 times the capacitance of air in a parallel plate capacitor: 'The capacitance created by the presence of the material is directly related to the Dielectric Constant of the material.' from:
http://www.clippercontrols.com/pages...nt-Values.html
Yes, I was thinking dielectric strength, not constant. My mistake.

Regardless, that dielectric constant is on par with the PCB, component packaging, and most forms of underfill. It should be a complete non-issue.

Tags
980 , accelero , Cooling , Nvidia , Vrm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in