Games crashing on GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition (4k resolution especially) - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Games crashing on GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition (4k resolution especially)

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Is there a chance that some part of the VGA ram is defected? Are there any tools like Memtest86 but for the VGA ram? Setting games at higher resolutions make them to use more vram and maybe that's the part that gives you these errors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
No idea, never seen it. Could be Windows related, could be conflicting junk running or maybe the GPU...There's a lot of different components on a GPU so it's reasonable to assume that just about any issue could be explained.
Yes you can run Windows without activating it, always have been able to. You get a little watermark in the bottom right corner. It's not uncommon to see reviewers and benchers without activation since so many hardware changes will de-activate it.
Thank you for the fresh install advise. That fixed all problems. Even with 6GB, all my games are running fine now. Except for Arkham Knight which stutters a lot. More so than on my AMD card if I remember correctly.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Why did a fresh install fix it? It's a night and day difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
As I'd stated before the upgrade feature is often not a great idea as it can cause these issues. Always best to start fresh.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

As I'd stated before the upgrade feature is often not a great idea as it can cause these issues. Always best to start fresh.
Just thought of something. Since at certain points we all do a fresh install, is it fine to partition your SSD and install your programs on a partition seperate from the OS partition and just have the OS sit by itself on one partition?

I ask because thats practically how all my games are set up. This fresh install didn't feel much of a hassle at all. All i had to do was click on the exe and it installed whatever redistributable C++ package it needed. Is it wise to scale it to all your programs on a seperate partition from the OS? So that you can just fresh intall however you please?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
It doesn't even have to be a partition, as long as it's organized you can easily back up folders from C:. Programs can be hit or miss, some things need to be in the x86 or x64 folder. Some things need to be in C:. I make a 33.6Gb partition for Windows and immediately create my own program folder in C:, if it's a small application it goes in that folder (if it will allow). Larger ones go in a different partition and I use a 120Gb SSD as a temp storage drive.
I create a system image of C: from time to time, could have it back up and running in a few minutes. If I need to do a clean install I'd simply put it in the same partition and paste my custom program folder into the clean install.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It doesn't even have to be a partition, as long as it's organized you can easily back up folders from C:. Programs can be hit or miss, some things need to be in the x86 or x64 folder. Some things need to be in C:. I make a 33.6Gb partition for Windows and immediately create my own program folder in C:, if it's a small application it goes in that folder (if it will allow). Larger ones go in a different partition and I use a 120Gb SSD as a temp storage drive.
I create a system image of C: from time to time, could have it back up and running in a few minutes. If I need to do a clean install I'd simply put it in the same partition and paste my custom program folder into the clean install.
Ah so it is fine to do that. I'll look into it. My only drawback is that my SSD is only 128 GB. But 33.6Gb Partition should be enough for WIndows. I'll install smaller programs intot the other partition of the SSD and put my big programs into my D drive which is an old reliable Samsung HDD from back in the days. I have certain big prorams I don't use much, those will be gonig to the HDD

i7 930 @ 3.8Ghz HT
Asrock X58 Extreme 3
Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti BE SC
Corsair RMS 750W
LG C6 4K 3D OLED 55", Potalion 1440p Korean IPS "glossy panel", Dell Ultrasharp U2515H

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in