Games crashing on GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition (4k resolution especially) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Games crashing on GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition (4k resolution especially)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
junglechocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 375
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Games crashing on GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition (4k resolution especially)

I got a 1080 Ti to replace my R9 290. Some games run fine, others like GTA V, Arkham Knight, and AC Origins don't. GTA V and AC Origins will run at lower settings but once I push my settings to 4K and dial up settings close to ultra, the games constantly crash.

I have done all the usual install and uninstalling. I am on 417 driver.

I have also noticed some stuttering in my games. Might be cause of the older CPU. I have also removed all OCs on my system and get the same behaviour

Games that seem to run fine in 4K: WItcher 3, Ace Combat 7, Crysis Warhead, Shadow of Middle Earth
I have had no issues with my R9 290 even at 4K besides it being weaker

Rig:
i7 930
mobo: Asrock X58 Extreme 3
Ram: orsair XSM3 6Gb
Corsair RM750
Windows 10 64 bit. Upgraded. No fresh install

Last edited by junglechocolate; 02-22-2019 at 11:01 PM.
junglechocolate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:28 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
white owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The land of Nod
Posts: 5,374
Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Use DDU in safe mode to clean the registry of the AMD driver, then install your desired Nvidia driver. This is a very common issue if you don't do a clean install of the GPU driver, especially when changing brands.

If that doesn't work it's probably time to do a clean install. To test if this will work simply partition your C: drive (or use a different drive or use a flash drive if you have one large enough) and do a clean install of 10 on it. Install one of the games you're having problems with. You don't need to activate 10 to do this.
Personally I'd do a clean install anyway. If you set up your files properly it can be very easy to copy/paste your data into a clean install. The Steam games folder can even be copied so you don't have to reinstall your games. When you're booted back up just install Steam, replace it's games folder with yours and have Steam verify and repair the game files (so it will launch them correctly). You can even copy/paste a game when you're doing the clean install test if you'd like.

O&O ShutUp10 is a must have tool for me (Windows10). It's standalone and doesn't run in the background. All it does is tweak the registry as you see fit or you can use their presets. Some things it does:
Prevents MS from shoving bloatware on your PC even after you've deleted it.
Prevents forced automatic updates so it doesn't change your OS at inconvenient times. You can manually update whenever you like.
Disables the telemetry data so that everything you do isn't sent to MS.
Reduces network, ram and CPU usage (quite a bit sometimes).
O&O:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
Windows 10 downolad (it's a toolkit for making a W10 .ISO):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Even if you have a clean copy of 10 it's best to use the latest version of the toolkit so you don't need to go through a long update process.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
white owl is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
junglechocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 375
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Use DDU in safe mode to clean the registry of the AMD driver, then install your desired Nvidia driver. This is a very common issue if you don't do a clean install of the GPU driver, especially when changing brands.

If that doesn't work it's probably time to do a clean install. To test if this will work simply partition your C: drive (or use a different drive or use a flash drive if you have one large enough) and do a clean install of 10 on it. Install one of the games you're having problems with. You don't need to activate 10 to do this.
Personally I'd do a clean install anyway. If you set up your files properly it can be very easy to copy/paste your data into a clean install. The Steam games folder can even be copied so you don't have to reinstall your games. When you're booted back up just install Steam, replace it's games folder with yours and have Steam verify and repair the game files (so it will launch them correctly). You can even copy/paste a game when you're doing the clean install test if you'd like.

O&O ShutUp10 is a must have tool for me (Windows10). It's standalone and doesn't run in the background. All it does is tweak the registry as you see fit or you can use their presets. Some things it does:
Prevents MS from shoving bloatware on your PC even after you've deleted it.
Prevents forced automatic updates so it doesn't change your OS at inconvenient times. You can manually update whenever you like.
Disables the telemetry data so that everything you do isn't sent to MS.
Reduces network, ram and CPU usage (quite a bit sometimes).
O&O:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
Windows 10 downolad (it's a toolkit for making a W10 .ISO):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Even if you have a clean copy of 10 it's best to use the latest version of the toolkit so you don't need to go through a long update process.
Yeah I did the DDU trick. Didn't work. Other things I noticed is that in the games that crash, changing my graphics settings like resolution and heavy effect stuff like texture crashes the games from the menu
Firestrike (standard) works fine, Heaven 4k extreme preset works fine. I;ve also noticed my computer given me memory errors especially with regards to GTA V. Its just weird these only happen with Nvidia and not with my 290.

The only other things I am thnking of are using a second PCI E power cable for the 6 pin slot instead of one cable which has 2 8 8 pins, adding more ram to my CPU, resintall Windows fresh (seems time consuming), memtest (also time consuming), RMA card
junglechocolate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:48 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
8051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,934
Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
Is your system overclocked? The overclocks that were stable w/my 980Ti weren't with my 1080Ti. The 1080Ti puts more load on the CPU.
8051 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
junglechocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 375
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Is your system overclocked? The overclocks that were stable w/my 980Ti weren't with my 1080Ti. The 1080Ti puts more load on the CPU.
I went back to stock. Not the issue
junglechocolate is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
junglechocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 375
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Use DDU in safe mode to clean the registry of the AMD driver, then install your desired Nvidia driver. This is a very common issue if you don't do a clean install of the GPU driver, especially when changing brands.

If that doesn't work it's probably time to do a clean install. To test if this will work simply partition your C: drive (or use a different drive or use a flash drive if you have one large enough) and do a clean install of 10 on it. Install one of the games you're having problems with. You don't need to activate 10 to do this.
Personally I'd do a clean install anyway. If you set up your files properly it can be very easy to copy/paste your data into a clean install. The Steam games folder can even be copied so you don't have to reinstall your games. When you're booted back up just install Steam, replace it's games folder with yours and have Steam verify and repair the game files (so it will launch them correctly). You can even copy/paste a game when you're doing the clean install test if you'd like.

O&O ShutUp10 is a must have tool for me (Windows10). It's standalone and doesn't run in the background. All it does is tweak the registry as you see fit or you can use their presets. Some things it does:
Prevents MS from shoving bloatware on your PC even after you've deleted it.
Prevents forced automatic updates so it doesn't change your OS at inconvenient times. You can manually update whenever you like.
Disables the telemetry data so that everything you do isn't sent to MS.
Reduces network, ram and CPU usage (quite a bit sometimes).
O&O:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
Windows 10 downolad (it's a toolkit for making a W10 .ISO):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Even if you have a clean copy of 10 it's best to use the latest version of the toolkit so you don't need to go through a long update process.
It would seem i haven't done a fresh Windows install in a long long long time. Maybe like 4 years. seems like a big hassle. Will have to see what I need to do to be able to reactivate and or save my OS specific files I might need later. My IWndows 10 copy was upgrade copy
junglechocolate is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
junglechocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 375
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Use DDU in safe mode to clean the registry of the AMD driver, then install your desired Nvidia driver. This is a very common issue if you don't do a clean install of the GPU driver, especially when changing brands.

If that doesn't work it's probably time to do a clean install. To test if this will work simply partition your C: drive (or use a different drive or use a flash drive if you have one large enough) and do a clean install of 10 on it. Install one of the games you're having problems with. You don't need to activate 10 to do this.
Personally I'd do a clean install anyway. If you set up your files properly it can be very easy to copy/paste your data into a clean install. The Steam games folder can even be copied so you don't have to reinstall your games. When you're booted back up just install Steam, replace it's games folder with yours and have Steam verify and repair the game files (so it will launch them correctly). You can even copy/paste a game when you're doing the clean install test if you'd like.

O&O ShutUp10 is a must have tool for me (Windows10). It's standalone and doesn't run in the background. All it does is tweak the registry as you see fit or you can use their presets. Some things it does:
Prevents MS from shoving bloatware on your PC even after you've deleted it.
Prevents forced automatic updates so it doesn't change your OS at inconvenient times. You can manually update whenever you like.
Disables the telemetry data so that everything you do isn't sent to MS.
Reduces network, ram and CPU usage (quite a bit sometimes).
O&O:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
Windows 10 downolad (it's a toolkit for making a W10 .ISO):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Even if you have a clean copy of 10 it's best to use the latest version of the toolkit so you don't need to go through a long update process.
Does doing reset from within Windows 10 do the same thing as a clean install? : https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

Below is my GTA V error
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTAV error.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	255084  


Last edited by junglechocolate; 02-23-2019 at 12:48 AM.
junglechocolate is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:50 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
white owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The land of Nod
Posts: 5,374
Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
The upgrade is often messed up compared to a clean install of 10. No idea if restarting is the same as a clean install or not but if a clean installation of 10 doesn't have the same issue there's no reason not to try restarting it. If it doesn't work you're back to a clean install. If a clean install doesn't work the card is likely faulty.

That's why I recommended doing a clean install on a partition or separate drive first.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
white owl is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
junglechocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 375
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
The upgrade is often messed up compared to a clean install of 10. No idea if restarting is the same as a clean install or not but if a clean installation of 10 doesn't have the same issue there's no reason not to try restarting it. If it doesn't work you're back to a clean install. If a clean install doesn't work the card is likely faulty.

That's why I recommended doing a clean install on a partition or separate drive first.
What do you think of that GTA V error I sent above?

And so you'd say I can just download a Windows 10 copy and install it without needing to activate it?
junglechocolate is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:00 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
white owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The land of Nod
Posts: 5,374
Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
No idea, never seen it. Could be Windows related, could be conflicting junk running or maybe the GPU...There's a lot of different components on a GPU so it's reasonable to assume that just about any issue could be explained.
Yes you can run Windows without activating it, always have been able to. You get a little watermark in the bottom right corner. It's not uncommon to see reviewers and benchers without activation since so many hardware changes will de-activate it.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
white owl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off