!VERY strange cooling for graphics card (memory only partially covered): problem? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

!VERY strange cooling for graphics card (memory only partially covered): problem?

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
!VERY strange cooling for graphics card (memory only partially covered): problem?

so I got this ITX form graphics card from MSI where not only the GPU but also the VRM, chokes (do these need to be cooled?) and VRAM are cooled by the heatsink

and weird thing is the memory chips are only partially covered by the thermal pads :
Spoiler!

looks like stupid illogical design but my question is can this cause a heating problem instead of preventing it?

> I mean can this cause a "thermal imbalance" or something with half of the memory chip overheating while only the other half is cooled?

ps. and for the lower right chip only 1/4 is cooled! so will 3/4 of the chip heat up???

Last edited by pulverizor; 03-06-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:04 PM
The last VRM burner

Rep: 34 (Unique: 19)
Only the chip and VRM requires cooling, everything else can cool itself completely passively without any issue at all.

PC for all
(21 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
GPU
Soon to be 2070 Super FE
RAM
KHX24C11T3K2/16X 11-12-12-32-1T-250
Hard Drive
Corsair MP510
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Power Supply
SeaSonic Focus Plus 750W
Cooling
Raijintek Tisis lapped+ Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Cooling
Arctic P12 PWM x2
Cooling
Arctic P14 x4
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Samsung C24FG73FQUX
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red Silent
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 600
Mousepad
Artisan FX Raiden
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808 + MUSES8820 + 2x 2xLME49990
Audio
AKG M220
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300 Arcade Stick
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
I didn't think you could DP a thread anymore...well without trying.
Oh well.

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Not how you post photos...

Nothing stupid about it though. They included some cooling to components that needed none, the core is cooled and the VRM is fully covered.
The only reason you might need to try to cool the ram is when the card is getting no airflow and even then it's not likely to be an issue.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

(@white owl wasnt sure which section to post this so tried both ^^)

so is it risky to have pads cover only half the memory chip? will it cause an "imbalance" where half is cooled & the other half is hot?

I mean woundt it be better not to put thermal pads on the memory than just put half-pads?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:38 PM
The last VRM burner

Rep: 34 (Unique: 19)
It doesn't matter at all. Memory is cold, only HBM dies require active cooling but you obviously don't have HBM.

PC for all
(21 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
GPU
Soon to be 2070 Super FE
RAM
KHX24C11T3K2/16X 11-12-12-32-1T-250
Hard Drive
Corsair MP510
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Power Supply
SeaSonic Focus Plus 750W
Cooling
Raijintek Tisis lapped+ Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Cooling
Arctic P12 PWM x2
Cooling
Arctic P14 x4
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Samsung C24FG73FQUX
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red Silent
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 600
Mousepad
Artisan FX Raiden
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808 + MUSES8820 + 2x 2xLME49990
Audio
AKG M220
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300 Arcade Stick
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

other graphics card reviews show memory chips heating up above 80°C which is scary (heat always kills anything in the long run right? or at least makes it less efficient)

here the chips are cooled but only half the surface - does it mean one half gets a lot hotter then the other?

what I mean is suppose I remove those half-pads & replace them with full pads that cover the whole chip (even if the heatsink only touches half the pad) will this improve cooling of the chips?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by pulverizor View Post
other graphics card reviews show memory chips heating up above 80°C which is scary (heat always kills anything in the long run right? or at least makes it less efficient)

here the chips are cooled but only half the surface - does it mean one half gets a lot hotter then the other?

what I mean is suppose I remove those half-pads & replace them with full pads that cover the whole chip (even if the heatsink only touches half the pad) will this improve cooling of the chips?
A thermal pad that isn't between some sort of heatsink and the chip isn't going to do anything and would probably act more as an insulator (i.e. increasing temps). I'd think it would be best to leave the bare part of the BGA memory chips bare than cover them w/thermal tape.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
A thermal pad that isn't between some sort of heatsink and the chip isn't going to do anything and would probably act more as an insulator (i.e. increasing temps). I'd think it would be best to leave the bare part of the BGA memory chips bare than cover them w/thermal tape.
even if the thermal pad touches (and covers all of) the chip?

I mean it's the same principle as the IHS of a CPU right?
thermal pads aint metal but they're still thermally conductive so wouldn't it act like some sort of flexible "heat spreader" for the chip? (to balance out the cooler half covered by the heatsink & the hotter half not covered by it)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by pulverizor View Post
even if the thermal pad touches (and covers all of) the chip?

I mean it's the same principle as the IHS of a CPU right?
thermal pads aint metal but they're still thermally conductive so wouldn't it act like some sort of flexible "heat spreader" for the chip? (to balance out the cooler half covered by the heatsink & the hotter half not covered by it)
Thermal tape works best when it is compressed -- like between some sort of heatsink and the IC it's supposed to cool. Thermal tape can conduct heat but not as well as Al or Cu. Because the exposed thermal tape won't be compressed I'd say leave it off.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Thermal tape works best when it is compressed -- like between some sort of heatsink and the IC it's supposed to cool. Thermal tape can conduct heat but not as well as Al or Cu. Because the exposed thermal tape won't be compressed I'd say leave it off.
ok

so what happens with the half covered half bare chips then? like will it be a red/blue hot/cold with one half red hot & the other blue cold (thermal imbalance) or does the chip "balance out" on its own?

I mean chips ain't metal either right? that non-shiny dark grey material that covers all memory chips (whatever it is) looks more like an insulant or something so if a heatsink only touches part of the chip then wont only that part will be cooled & not the whole chip? would the other part still remain hot?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in