Radeon & nVidia GPU's - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Radeon & nVidia GPU's

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Radeon & nVidia GPU's

Hi,

It hasn't seemed to cause a problem using nVidia GPU on Freesync monitor but the other way around using Radeon GPU on G-Sync monitor it has caused a problem.

Just been setting a system up for future use with both the nVidia & AMD software so it's possible to use either I've found screen flicker or a re-setting of the G-Sync monitor every now and then which is way annoying - Is there an option to un-check for this? - Using Windows 10 64 - If not I'll just not attempt using Radeon on G-Sync monitor - But it's good to know if there is an option I'm not aware of that may fix the issue. - Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:09 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 330 (Unique: 237)
Never heard of that issue, Gsync monitor should run fixed refresh mode only outside of NV GPUs that support Gsync. More of a monitor issue then really if it can't run fixed refresh mode correctly. You could try checking timings and such, make a custom resolution that works maybe.
Async non Gsync module monitors on NV GPUs... it works better with some than other, problem is NV's driver is not exactly up to specs as always. Usually off/on of a monitor while sending Async to it will resolve the issues but not on all. Windows version matters too due to WDDM updates and more.

Gsync monitor + NV Gsync supported GPU isn't flawless either. Right now even NV's driver control panel is funky and loves to change fixed refresh back to Gsync compatible on it's own yet after being first set to fixed refresh it seems to run fixed from then on... it's a mess.

Sometimes DDU of GPU driver truly is necessary and install clean.

Having AMD + NV GPU and their drivers at once in a system is pretty much a no go. You're gonna run into issues for sure.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks - I've got both G-Sync & Free Sync - I put the AMD card onto another machine with Free Sync and there was not problem (that I saw)_

My fav. cards are the nVidia obviously so it's good there has not been a problem with n-Vidia GPU on Free Sync monitor -

It was actually a Fury GPU but I'm sure I've used the 390x AND 290x (not gaming) few days back without issues - so it could be this new WIN 10 update -

I'll put in the other AMD cards to see if the same things happens.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:55 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 778 (Unique: 446)
g-sync monitors use a "nvidia only" g-sync module for the DP connection - if you're connecting a radeon card to that, yeah i can see it having issues.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
g-sync monitors use a "nvidia only" g-sync module for the DP connection - if you're connecting a radeon card to that, yeah i can see it having issues.
Yes it was connected via DP - So thanks for this - I was in system building / test mode so not trying to game but trying some used GPU's - So if it's like this it won't be good to game on.

I'll be leaving AMD on G-Sync monitors - and stick to nVidia on G-Sync only.

But the other way around there are no probs........

So if I was using HDMI it would be OK probably - I'll bear this in mind.

For regular display the GT 710 is a great card and is nVidia which gets used for testing things etc......or office duty etc.......

I got a Fury / 390X / 290X which caused the issue - But it's good to know ---I won't be doing this again....................
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
omg. i gave up on AMD cards long ago. maybe they are just as good but the drivers development was a bloody mess.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:51 AM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 168 (Unique: 120)
Quote: Originally Posted by JJ_Mclure View Post
omg. i gave up on AMD cards long ago. maybe they are just as good but the drivers development was a bloody mess.
Keyword was a bloody mess. Ever since Crimson they've provided fantastic driver support. I dropped nVidia due to their Pascal driver latency issues.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in