Why are AMDs drivers still so bad? - Page 19 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Why are AMDs drivers still so bad?

Closed Thread

post #181 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Why are you using old benchmarks?

You would hope a card that was released a 1 year and 6 months after runs quicker and uses less power.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/g...ay-2019/2.html
Probably because I pulled up the review of the card in question. Doesn't look much changed at all.

Ok so if you were purchasing today would you not say the 56 is the inferior card? They're the same price.

Is the problem the butt hurt you got? Is that what really bothers you? The butt hurt over the Vega 56 using so much more power for so little benefit?

Looks like a 5870 vs 480 to me. I sure didn't get the 480 back then, I guess I'm the fanboy thou.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:39 AM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 166 (Unique: 118)
Quote: Originally Posted by MilesK View Post
Probably because I pulled up the review of the card in question. Doesn't look much changed at all.

Ok so if you were purchasing today would you not say the 56 is the inferior card? They're the same price.

Is the problem the butt hurt you got? Is that what really bothers you? The butt hurt over the Vega 56 using so much more power for so little benefit?

Looks like a 5870 vs 480 to me. I sure didn't get the 480 back then, I guess I'm the fanboy thou.
If I was gaming I'd buy the RTX 2060 over all of them but if I had to pick between the two for gaming I'd pick the GTX 1660 Ti. What I currently use a GPU for I would stick with the Vega 56 since it's compute performance crushes the GTX 1660 Ti. I actually owned the GTX 470 and it was much faster at Tessellation than the 5000 series just like how a RTX 2060 crushes the GTX 1660 Ti at ray tracing.

If more games start to utilize FP16(Rapid Packed Math) the RX Vega 56 is decently ahead of the GTX 1660 Ti.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13973...ga-xc-gaming/8

I still own a GTX 480 and a AMD 6970 and the GTX 480 is faster than the AMD 6970 in today's titles.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #183 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

If I was gaming I'd buy the RTX 2060 over all of them but if I had to pick between the two for gaming I'd pick the GTX 1660 Ti. What I currently use a GPU for I would stick with the Vega 56 since it's compute performance crushes the GTX 1660 Ti. I actually owned the GTX 470 and it was much faster at Tessellation than the 5000 series just like how a RTX 2060 crushes the GTX 1660 Ti at ray tracing.

If games more games start to utilize FP16(Rapid Packed Math) the RX Vega 56 is decently ahead of the GTX 1660 Ti.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13973...ga-xc-gaming/8

I still own a GTX 480 and a AMD 6970 and the GTX 480 is faster than the AMD 6970 in today's titles.
I was simply making the point that my purchasing decisions are based on what I value and they're consistent across the board no matter which company is currently leading. I'll buy which ever company is delivering what I want. AMD or Nvidia I don't care either way, neither do anything for me personally.

Just like if Ryzen 3 can deliver a more efficient chip with nearly as good or better single thread performance I'll hop right on over to team red for my platform. If not I'll probably just wait until the end of the year for Intels next "5% increase".

Literally do not care about brands, a lot and I do mean a lot of people here do though... clearly. They argue and take offense like rabid fanatic sports fans.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:58 AM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 166 (Unique: 118)
I was simply making the point that my purchasing decisions are based on what I value and they're consistent across the board no matter which company is currently leading. I'll buy which ever company is delivering what I want. AMD or Nvidia I don't care either way, neither do anything for me personally.

Just like if Ryzen 3 can deliver a more efficient chip with nearly as good or better single thread performance I'll hop right on over to team red for my platform. If not I'll probably just wait until the end of the year for Intels next "5% increase".

Literally do not care about brands, a lot and I do mean a lot of people here do though... clearly. They argue and take offense like rabid fanatic sports fans.
I do not care about brands either. I went from owning 6 nVidia cards back to back up until the GTX 1070 which I sold and bought a RX Vega 64 due to Pascals awful stuttering issues. Ever since the Vega 64 I haven't had any problems with drivers. They fix their bugs quickly compared to nVidia who still has bugs that have been on their known issues list for 4+ years. There is a reason why Vega consumes a decent amount of power compared to nVidia's GX104/6 dies TU104/106 dies and it's because of the compute performance. RDNA is the first chip since TeraScale that is purely a gaming focused architecture.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #185 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I do not care about brands either. I went from owning 6 nVidia cards back to back up until the GTX 1070 which I sold and bought a RX Vega 64 due to Pascals awful stuttering issues. Ever since the Vega 64 I haven't had any problems with drivers. They fix their bugs quickly compared to nVidia who still has bugs that have been on their known issues list for 4+ years. There is a reason why Vega consumes a decent amount of power compared to nVidia's GX104/6 dies TU104/106 dies and it's because of the compute performance. RDNA is the first chip since TeraScale that is purely a gaming focused architecture.
Nice I had really bad stuttering issues with my 6970s in CF and it didn't like to game with one card and mine on the others, a lot of instability.

I was very pleased with the RX 480s because I could mine on 3-4 cards and use the other to game. It was what I like to do and it worked flawlessly. The only issue was the freezing I couldn't get it to stop and thus this thread. I've been dealing with AMD quirks for years. I'm sure I'll try to do something with this card and run into issues that eventually get me to buy something else lol.

I really wanted to wait because I was to upgrade out of Haswell but it was just so annoying I couldn't stand it anymore. For example I still have all my RX cards, I might plug them in and start mining on them. I bet ya it doesn't go smoothly but hopefully I'm just pessimistic!

post #186 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
So lets get back to resolving the OP's issue. And OP, personally I would change the title since your sample size is 2. Calling out AMD for your admittedly limited experience of 2 is going to get this kind of response. I have both a GTX 1080 and Vega's 56,64,and a Radeon VII. I can say for certainty that for PoE, based on my systems, that the GTX 1080 is more stable for that particular game. When I max out the settings in the AMD cards, there are certain periods of times where I see performance issues that I don't get with the GTX 1080. I usually dial down the graphic settings to get the stability I want. There's are dedicated forums for PoE settings as these are known issues. I have very limited experience with fortnite but with any AAA game I play, I get 0 issues with the AMD systems.

From a common sense POV, this makes sense, small PC only developers will code for the most prominent systems which are Nvidia cards. Larger developers, esp. with AAA games that are release for console and PC's will be coded for AMD (console) and Nvidia (PC). As for drivers, I prefer AMD's interface vs Nvidia archaic, un-intuitive control panel UI. For new card releases, Nvidia is usually more stable and fully featured vs AMD's sometimes buggy rushed out releases (i.e. Radeon VII), but the nice thing about AMD is that they don't sit on their laurels and release driver updates in a timely manner usually addressing said issues.

post #187 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:47 PM
Senior Moderators

Nice I had really bad stuttering issues with my 6970s in CF and it didn't like to game with one card and mine on the others, a lot of instability.

I was very pleased with the RX 480s because I could mine on 3-4 cards and use the other to game. It was what I like to do and it worked flawlessly. The only issue was the freezing I couldn't get it to stop and thus this thread. I've been dealing with AMD quirks for years. I'm sure I'll try to do something with this card and run into issues that eventually get me to buy something else lol.

I really wanted to wait because I was to upgrade out of Haswell but it was just so annoying I couldn't stand it anymore. For example I still have all my RX cards, I might plug them in and start mining on them. I bet ya it doesn't go smoothly but hopefully I'm just pessimistic!
Don't be mining and gaming at the same time. Duh! Problem was with your setup, which is what we've all been telling you. /thread

Edit: For the record, I did the same with 4x rx580s in my main rig at one point. That "stutter" is from mining using so much resources. Vanilla minecraft stutters even in windowed mode doing that. Been there, done that, moved my cards to a farm.

CPU
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.4GHz
Motherboard
MSI B75MA-E33
GPU
MSI RX550 4GB
RAM
8GB GSkill Sniper DDR3-1600 @ 667, 9-9-9-24
Hard Drive
Intel 330 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB HDD
Power Supply
Antec VP450
Cooling
No fans except GPU and PSU
Case
Dell Beige Box (mATX)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Hanns G 23"
Keyboard
Redragon 10keyless
Mouse
Logitech USB Optical Mouse
Mousepad
Onn Mousepad
Audio
Diamond Edison 2.0
CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1245 @ 3.4GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
GPU
Nvidia GeForce GT310
RAM
4x8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
320GB Seagate 7200.10
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB x8 RAID6
Power Supply
Rosewill Green 630w
Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ Evo
Case
NZXT Source 210
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64 / Hyper-V
Other
Adaptec 5805 SAS RAID Controller
▲ hide details ▲

post #188 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:57 PM
In VB's Basement

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I think we have re-hashed the AMD vs Nvidia argument enough (Again). I think this thread has served its purpose.

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in