GPU roadmap to the future? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GPU roadmap to the future?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 07:44 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
bhsmurfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 106
Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
NV went nuts on rtx versions no way they will crush all their bs versions anytime soon.
This is correct answer.
NV has no competition right now so they'll hold on as long as quarterly stocks are doing fine. When sales slow thats when they'll drop Amp.
Thats my take from it.

Ill almost bet there will be a re-release/re-stamp of the 20 series. X.E how ATI did the 9800pro bein obsolete but then released a 9800xt when the platform was already dead.
bhsmurfy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 08:45 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 20,150
Rep: 579 (Unique: 324)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
NV went nuts on rtx versions no way they will crush all their bs versions anytime soon.
yeah, seems like the big boys wouldn't be out until end of the year, at the earliest. While the little ones trickle in first.

at least, this is more typical than not for how NV likes to do things.

they could even do a Maxwell style drop.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
skupples is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
8051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,921
Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
NV 7nm isn't coming in 2020, at least not the big boys. remember how Maxwell drop went? Expect this to be similar.
Was the Maxwell drop when they released budget Maxwell GPU's that were low-performance parts first and only later the high performance parts?
8051 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:29 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
MilesK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 146
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Nvidia has been releasing their small die chips first and pricing them out at $500+ since AMD stopped being able to compete after Fermi.

Nvidia is going to milk ever last ounce of wealth from us that they can. The only other option hasn't delivered anything to compete since 2010.

AMD has been riding Crypto for years now. It can't last at this rate, something has to give. They need to close the GPU gap like they have started to with CPUs.

It's only when Intel/Nvidia are pushed that we see real innovation. I can't wait to see how Intel responds to gen 3 bulldozer, they need a real response because AMD is that good. We need the same thing from AMD on the GPU side, otherwise we're going to continue to get bleed out by a duopoly where one company is clearly creating inferior products.

Edit: I have a 1660 Ti, which I bought several months ago and it is still the most efficient GPU on the market today for my res. AMD was always my choice because of their efficiency, how ironic is it that we are now trying to downplay our carbon footprint for gaming because AMD no longer has this segment on lock? Pretty sad IMO, just shows how deep the fanboyism goes.


Last edited by MilesK; 11-14-2019 at 09:33 AM.
MilesK is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:12 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 20,150
Rep: 579 (Unique: 324)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Was the Maxwell drop when they released budget Maxwell GPU's that were low-performance parts first and only later the high performance parts?
correct, it was a three tiered release.

i believe it was the 950 or 40 that came first? then the mid range, then the big boys. n that was the last time NV went thru a node shrink. Seems their SOP is at least 3-4 stages to a release cycle. believing 3080ti will be here on day one is lofty, unless AMD some how drops a 2080ti killer before then. Typically the biggest units show up later.

like I've said in a few other threads, before this announcement. 3080ti could be a total joke of a card if NV still has zero competition within site. They could release a 5% faster hdmi 2.1 2080ti & call it a day, no problem. hopefully this is the series that starts to include hdmi2.1, or they've lost their damn minds.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 11-14-2019 at 10:19 AM.
skupples is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:52 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
wingman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,648
Rep: 63 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
correct, it was a three tiered release.

i believe it was the 950 or 40 that came first? then the mid range, then the big boys. n that was the last time NV went thru a node shrink. Seems their SOP is at least 3-4 stages to a release cycle. believing 3080ti will be here on day one is lofty, unless AMD some how drops a 2080ti killer before then. Typically the biggest units show up later.

like I've said in a few other threads, before this announcement. 3080ti could be a total joke of a card if NV still has zero competition within site. They could release a 5% faster hdmi 2.1 2080ti & call it a day, no problem. hopefully this is the series that starts to include hdmi2.1, or they've lost their damn minds.
I believe the 3080ti, 3080, 3070 will be the usual 25-30% FPS increase without RT. I have not seen Nvidia do any different with a generational increase.

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel G-Sync compatible
wingman99 is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
8051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,921
Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by wingman99 View Post
I believe the 3080ti, 3080, 3070 will be the usual 25-30% FPS increase without RT. I have not seen Nvidia do any different with a generational increase.
Didn't the 980 and 980Ti exceed those percentages in terms of performance increase over previous gen (kepler?)?
8051 is online now  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:04 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
wingman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,648
Rep: 63 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Didn't the 980 and 980Ti exceed those percentages in terms of performance increase over previous gen (kepler?)?
Yes I missed the 980 was 32% increase in FPS from 780. The 980ti was 40% increase in FPS from the 780ti.
780 was 19.94% increase in FPS from 680. The 780ti was 26.4% increase in FPS from the 2 GPU 690.
680 was 41.77% increase in FPS from 580. The the 2 GPU 690 was 51% increase in FPS from the 2GPU 590.
580 was 4.15% increase in FPS from 480.
480 was 50% increase in FPS from GTX 285.

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel G-Sync compatible
wingman99 is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
8051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,921
Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by wingman99 View Post
Yes I missed the 980 was 32% increase in FPS from 780. The 980ti was 40% increase in FPS from the 780ti.
780 was 19.94% increase in FPS from 680. The 780ti was 26.4% increase in FPS from the 2 GPU 690.
680 was 41.77% increase in FPS from 580. The the 2 GPU 690 was 51% increase in FPS from the 2GPU 590.
580 was 4.15% increase in FPS from 480.
480 was 50% increase in FPS from GTX 285.
My 1080Ti gets nearly 50% more minimum FPS than my 980Ti.
8051 is online now  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:22 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
wingman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,648
Rep: 63 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
My 1080Ti gets nearly 50% more minimum FPS than my 980Ti.
Lets hope the new RTX 3080ti is 50% more FPS than the RTX 2080ti. I would hate to see 14% FPS improvement.

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel G-Sync compatible
wingman99 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off