Move from problematic 5700XT: Strix 2070 Super or Dual EVO 2080 Super - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Move from problematic 5700XT: Strix 2070 Super or Dual EVO 2080 Super

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
CTV
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Move from problematic 5700XT: Strix 2070 Super or Dual EVO 2080 Super

Hey Guys

I need some opinions in relation to replacement for a - new, but oh so problematic Strix 5700XT - options choices between an Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super and an Asus Dual EVO RTX 2080 Super. Typically prices between 2070S and 2080S is rather significant given the performance delta though the higher tiered 2080S in Dual EVO guise specifically can be found for less than <10% more right now.

The only review in English for the latter can be found was this —> https://www.guru3d.com/articles-page...-review,1.html

To my understanding the 2080S Dual EVO is a reference card with a somewhat custom cooler and with that said, I don’t know if that is really a bad thing vs. a custom PCB employed by the 2070S Strix. The low % cost difference in my opinion warrants the choice of the 2080S over the 2070S from a performance gain perspective, though what is making me hesitant is the custom PCB of the Strix vs. the more standard Dual EVO. Is the Dual EVO PCB and cooler really a terrible choice, also noting the fact that I don’t overclock my GPUs?

Manny thanks.

Regards,
CTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 870 (Unique: 635)
I read some recommend the 5700XT Strix and curious to what exactly is the problem with this card. Is it specific to this brand?

I own a reference 5700XT and 5700 but both have been pretty much trouble-free.

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:59 AM
OG AMD

Rep: 590 (Unique: 462)
Quote: Originally Posted by CTV View Post
Hey Guys

I need some opinions in relation to replacement for a - new, but oh so problematic Strix 5700XT - options choices between an Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super and an Asus Dual EVO RTX 2080 Super. Typically prices between 2070S and 2080S is rather significant given the performance delta though the higher tiered 2080S in Dual EVO guise specifically can be found for less than <10% more right now.

The only review in English for the latter can be found was this —> https://www.guru3d.com/articles-page...-review,1.html

To my understanding the 2080S Dual EVO is a reference card with a somewhat custom cooler and with that said, I don’t know if that is really a bad thing vs. a custom PCB employed by the 2070S Strix. The low % cost difference in my opinion warrants the choice of the 2080S over the 2070S from a performance gain perspective, though what is making me hesitant is the custom PCB of the Strix vs. the more standard Dual EVO. Is the Dual EVO PCB and cooler really a terrible choice, also noting the fact that I don’t overclock my GPUs?

Manny thanks.

Regards,
CTV
You ever think it might be an Asus problem? They have been known to sell cards with dubious cooler installations.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
CTV
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
I read some recommend the 5700XT Strix and curious to what exactly is the problem with this card. Is it specific to this brand?

I own a reference 5700XT and 5700 but both have been pretty much trouble-free.
Thanks for the reply. To give you more context, I had a GTX 1080 for little over a year no problems, though I caught wind of a good deal on the Strix 5700XT which was discounted around 30% of its normal price and cheaper in fact than most 2060 Supers as well. I sold my 1080 and paid a very minimal difference, while expecting a 10-20% boost in performance and also would complete an all team red build (3700x and 570x Crosshair Hero).

Boy was I unsuspectingly in for a rough ride. I removed the nVidia drivers, installed the new 5700XT and 19.9.2 driver and before rebooting experienced odd jittering when moving windows and odd screen blackout here and there post installation, though before rebooting so I did not think much of it. I rebooted, fired up Metro Exodus and loaded a level and noticed poor performance in the form of stuttering which was subsequently confirmed by validating low FPS (30’s). In contrast the 1080 averaged 40s-60s. I quit Metro and tried Witcher 3 which basically felt the same - jittery though I was trying to get FRAPS to reveal the FPS to compare with what I was used to on the 1080. After messing about with FRAPS some more, I got the FPS to increase and the gave looked and felt better, though subsequently confirmed it performed on par with the 1080, not quite the result I was expecting but never the less I quit to desktop to give another title a go and this is where everything went south. The system became unresponsive to a point where I had to reset it via power button. From this point I could not get the system to boot consistently either. The various POST colored LEDs on the motherboard would cycle through and would typically stop on the white one, though it would start the cycle over and over without displaying anything. I could not get the PC to boot, no matter what I tried - even clearing the CMOS. Only the next day would it boot again, only to BSOD with a “ VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR” error. I struggled the remainder of the day with boot and BSOD issues and occasional artifacts displayed under non-load (no gaming) use...

I spent a lot of time researching the issues online and one of the suggestions was to force the PCIe x16 to Gen 3 which I “think” helped a bit to boot more reliably. I then took the opportunity to upgrade the BIOS as some of others with similar issues reported that it helped them as well, though this did not make a difference in my case. I also tried reinstalling the driver, this time with 19.12.1 and the latest chipset driver as well to no avail. Each time I try and install the driver, it would BSOD during installation, or succeed but BSOD immediately after reboot. Out of desperation, I formatted and reloaded Windows 10 (from 1903 to 1909), only installed the chipset driver followed by 19.12.1 Adrenalin, which resulted it the system unexpectedly powering off as if the power button was held in. Rebooted again, BSOD is back

Many people of complaining about similar issues, BSOD and boot loops, most attributed to BIOS and/or VGA drivers. Right now I cannot use my PC at all. The quick and cheap performance bump I expected turned out to be a big disaster. The sad part is that if I cannot overcome these challenges, I will be forced to fork about a chunk of cash for a 2070s or 2080s. Paying in it seems is unavoidable if I ditch the 5700XT, though I think a 2060s would not be an option as it would be slower than a 5700XT (not to mention more expensive for what I paid for it) and roughly in the ballpark of my old 1080 performance wise so I would be going backwards or sideways, depending how you look at it.

Last edited by CTV; 12-09-2019 at 07:43 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 08:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 870 (Unique: 635)
Quote: Originally Posted by CTV View Post
I spent a lot of time researching the issues online and one of the suggestions was to force the PCIe x16 to Gen 3 which I “think” helped a bit to boot more reliably. I then took the opportunity to upgrade the BIOS as some of others with similar issues reported that it helped them as well, though this did not make a difference in my case. I also tried reinstalling the driver, this time with 19.12.1 and the latest chipset driver as well to no avail. Each time I try and install the driver, it would BSOD during installation, or succeed but BSOD immediately after reboot. Out of desperation, I formatted and reloaded Windows 10 (from 1903 to 1909), only installed the chipset driver followed by 19.12.1 Adrenalin, which resulted it the system unexpectedly powering off as if the power button was held in. Rebooted again, BSOD is back

Many people of complaining about similar issues, BSOD and boot loops, most attributed to BIOS and/or VGA drivers. Right now I cannot use my PC at all. The quick and cheap performance bump I expected turned out to be a big disaster. The sad part is that if I cannot overcome these challenges, I will be forced to fork about a chunk of cash for a 2070s or 2080s. Paying in it seems is unavoidable if I ditch the 5700XT, though I think a 2060s would not be an option as it would be slower than a 5700XT (not to mention more expensive for what I paid for it) and roughly in the ballpark of my old 1080 performance wise so I would be going backwards or sideways, depending how you look at it.
Normally you would want to update the Chipset Driver first before updating the BIOS. And after you update the BIOS, default settings are in place, thus you gonna need to force GEN 3 again on the PCIE. All these drivers have to be downloaded straight from the AMD site not the manufacturer's.

Anyways, you are right, go for the 2070 Super.

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
CTV
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
Normally you would want to update the Chipset Driver first before updating the BIOS. And after you update the BIOS, default settings are in place, thus you gonna need to force GEN 3 again on the PCIE. All these drivers have to be downloaded straight from the AMD site not the manufacturer's.

Anyways, you are right, go for the 2070 Super.
You are quite correct, I picked up that I had to set the PCIe x16 slot to Gen 3 again after the BIOS update, allowing me to boot the system at least. I did download the drivers from AMD’s website initially but also tried the 19.7.x from Asus’s website as one person on a forum said it was a more stable driver for him. None of these drivers prevented the BSOD during driver install or subsequent reboots. I guess I could have a faulty card as my system worked just fine with the old 1080 and I also tried a fresh instance of Windows just in case. Why I am a little concerned is that a lot of people online complain about the same BSOD error so I am not convinced it can just be a faulty GPU. To be honest I am at a loss literally and figuratively

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Researching stability

Rep: 75 (Unique: 51)
'Unfortunately', i was on same boat. Returned a 'faulty' 5700xt and bought a rtx 2070. Just do it. Especially now where you can buy the latter with some bundles and it actually costs the same as a 5700xt. Last but not the least, i did buy the asus rtx 2070 super evo and i am really satisfied; quiet, cool and performs great. If you have more questions and i can help, gladly i 'll do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in