Bake your Graphics Card in the Oven Fix " IT WORKED" - Page 33 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Bake your Graphics Card in the Oven Fix " IT WORKED"

post #321 of 756 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 27)
Yea I guess your right but man the chances of this working all the time is soo low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr4zYH3aD go_quote.gif
Never forget that you will never utilize the cpu as they do in benchmark. You won't listen to 5 movie at the same time, burn a dvd, backup your hard drive, play crysis, quake live, and diablo 2 while you add your mp3 in winamp by alphabetical orders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 756 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Retired Benchmark Editor

Rep: 541 (Unique: 253)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModoeXtreme View Post
Yea I guess your right but man the chances of this working all the time is soo low.
Success rate seems to be pretty close to 50%. My personal bake revive rate is 33% successful. Not to bad of a chance on cards that are totally dead/dieing. Why not bake it?

I think you should duct a leaf blower onto your air cooler...wait till liek 2am and fire it up for some hardcore OC action ..really piss of the neighbors.. and see if you can F5 your CPU-Z before the cops show up!!
~CL3P20

Do the opposite of what this guy just said if you want the best results you can get
~el gappo

post #323 of 756 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I joined this site just so I could make a reply to this post:

My graphics card (geforce 8600 GT xxx) had died just last week (random red blocks and dying within seconds) and I was stuck running on an old one. I decided this was a last ditch option for me to get mine running again.

I did everything as described, however, decided to do it in a toaster oven, since I'm impatient Halfway through the baking process, I hear and see 2 capacitors and a strange piece fall off of the card. I quickly pulled out the card and let it cool, now with these 3 extra pieces off the card.

Deciding it couldn't get any worse, (and since my cheap soldering gun couldn't heat the solder) I put the graphics card back in the toaster right side up. While in the middle of baking, I then put the pieces back in place, and they went halfway through their solder. At the end of baking, I take out the card and was able to push the pieces all the way in their places.

After cooling and assembly, I put the card in the computer. Hoping that the pieces weren't put in backwards and ruin my computer, I turn on the computer and to my utter surprise the graphics card worked like brand new.

So in all:
1. Don't attempt a toaster over.
2. If things go bad, and you're willing to take a risk, there still hope.
3. I won't have to spend $100 on a new card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #324 of 756 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:20 AM

I tried this with my 9800gtx+ :X the light in the back went from red solid to green so I was like sweet! but still no signal to my monitor and my MB wont recognize it lol so I guess it's a lost cause bohoohoo
post #325 of 756 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Add me to the success list. I forgot to register my 8800 GTS for the lifetime warranty and EVGA refused to help me since I bought it 3 years ago. I put it in the oven @ 385 for exactly 10 minutes and I'm back in business! I won't be buying evga again but I'm certainly happy with the oven results .

post #326 of 756 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 04:30 AM
We Fear Nothing

Rep: 45 (Unique: 19)
I did another bake this time on an old 8400GS 256mb DDR2 PCI-E card. It was giving me weird artifacts or whatever they are called on screen but a quick 10mins in my oven at the highest temp and 10mins cooling did the job.

Tested the card in my system and worked for a few days. The other card i done was an ASUS 7600GS AGP which is still in my sisters computer months later and it has not caused one problem.

I so far have a 100% success rate having done a x1650, 8400GS and 7600GS with all of them working after being baked due to them having artifiacts...etc

I Hate Golf, I Hate Golf, I Hate Golf, Nice Shot....I love Golf
post #327 of 756 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 07:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 34)
ok i just baked my 8800gt and success. thanks for all the posts guys. this is amazing that i dont have to replace a pretty decent card.

post #328 of 756 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

i just baked an old 6800 it was in at 385 for 3-4 min a few capacitors fell off so i soldered them back on and it worked like a charm
post #329 of 756 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 07:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
it turned out way better than cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprcynic go_quote.gif
You're right, countless brilliant computer nerds have been fooled by the scam called SLI, that is, until you came along to crack the case.
post #330 of 756 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 383 (Unique: 259)
inspired by this post and others, I baked my friends 8800GTS 640MB that had just failed, and was outside warranty...

After ~9 minutes in the oven at ~195C it came out and we stuck it in and lo-and-behold... it WORKED... couldn't believe it... he's still using it now (about 1 month later) and saving for a 5850 (as an upgrade)

To assist others, I also added a guide to ifixit.com: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/B...cs-card/2240/1

Not SATA III it's SATA 6Gbit/s
SATA cables are SATA cables, no such thing as a "SATA 6Gbit/s cable"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in