How To: Unbrick Your Bricked Graphics Card/Fix a Failed BIOS Flash - Page 22 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How To: Unbrick Your Bricked Graphics Card/Fix a Failed BIOS Flash

post #211 of 303 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 04:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
I have tried to use the dos way but when in dos i realy cant figure it out. I have named the folder with atiflash and the bios in it bios and i can get into "bios" but then im stuck. Have tried atiflash -i but get "bad command line" (or something like that), so how do i get the atiflash going so it can detect my card? Btw. im using igpu, dont know if that makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 303 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 02:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
No one? :-(

post #213 of 303 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi guys.

Very nice article.
I have very specific question here:)

After taking aout my Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280X TOXIC (3072 MB) (11221-01-40G) Graphics Card out from the case I can connect to my OnBoard card no problem.
I have done the change for Primary graphics card via bios - Fine(config is saved etc)
Shutdown PC(Power down)
Insereted my ATI card back in.
Rebooted my PC.

And

Nothing

No signal

Why ? No idea. It looks like it still jumps to PCIe expres or something..

Is it posable?

If I can get both of them "ON/Connected" that whould be great IE -- primary Card as "ON Board"(To -->Monitor) and "ATI" as just a power ON recognisably Device via DOS.

If I can only find the way how to run bloody thing togetherrrrrrrrr

P.s.I have done all the spets from start to finish bypassing the step "Insert your broken card in" as it will break my sequence.... IE my card was still OUT .I have done this just to see if the steps are working fine and they ARE! Its just I had error "No interface" or something like that which makes sense as I had my ATI card out of the case ....

I hope someone can help me with this as I have no warranty (Ebay:) Card had some blips and I decided to do bios upgrade l. You know what happened next smile.gif

Many thanks in advance
JQB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 06:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

This seems like the most active/longest thread related to this issue and I'll post a quick guide of how I fixed my EVGA GTX 670 4gb after trying to change it's hardware ID to match a Strix 970 in order to enable differentSLIauto. NvFlash was no longer able to recognize the adapter in DOS, Linux, or Windows after the hardware ID change, and I can't recommend against it more strongly for the purpose I intended: Windows seems to assign a driver profile based on the cards hardware ID, and although it was showing up in hardware manager (often with a "bad" or yellow icon driver after reboot, easily remedied yet still..) I couldn't see the card in the nVidia software or nvflash as previously stated. Anyways you're looking for a fix.

This will only work with nvidia cards as far as I know:

1) Disassemble the card until all major IC's are visible. Google each part number till you find a memory chip with a CS# option on Pin 1 (usually) and ground on pin 4 (usually).

2) Once identified, reinstall the card allowing access to BIOS chip you found from the previous step. Ideally, the heatsink for the card should be installed and the fan running, other components should survive.

3) Flash the BIOS manually. By this I literally mean use a pair of stainless steel tweezers to short out the connection between pin 1 and 4 (unless otherwise identified, CS# = pin 1 and GND/VSS = pin 4) simultaneously WHILE windows is running. Yup. If it works you'll hear the found new hardware bada-boop. You'll be fine, AS LONG AS YOU: don't touch any other components, discharge static beforehand. I'm seriously not responsible for you accidentally tasing yourself. Continue to step 4 if inconclusive.

3a. If successful, DO NOT TURN OFF THE PC. Start NvFlash and reinstall the original BIOS (why wouldn't you make a backup..?) or a known working BIOS. the card should be fixed.

-NOTE: Often times you'll hear the CS# pin referred to as the STRAP_SUB_VENDOR pin, ignore this nomenclature and use what I provided in step 1 (and step 3 if GND is not easily recognized), it will not help you.

4) If not successful this card is well and truly dead, but you can sell it to someone who thinks they're smarter than you on ebay for a bit. I've seen cards resurrect from replaced capacitors and other discrete SMT components but unless that's trivial work to you make better use of your time. thumb.gif
post #215 of 303 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 02:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hi i have posted this elsewhere so you may have already seen it

Cut a long story short i have purchased a bricked msi gtx 970 and i do not have the original bios

I already own a msi gtx 970

Nv flash will recognise my good card in windows

Nv flash does not detect either of my cards in dos mode

I have spent around 12 hrs so far 'messing' around and getting nowhere

Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated

post #216 of 303 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 08:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

I have a vapor-x that is playing up. One day it would not boot
Now running ati flash in both windows and DOS enables me to see the card and flash it. However I still get a black screen. Under GPU-Z the card states it has a generic standard VGA and 4GB of RAM which is clearly wrong. Could the bios be completely fubar? I have tried using the BIOS switch to no avail either
post #217 of 303 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 11:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap30 View Post

Hi i have posted this elsewhere so you may have already seen it

Cut a long story short i have purchased a bricked msi gtx 970 and i do not have the original bios

I already own a msi gtx 970

Nv flash will recognise my good card in windows

Nv flash does not detect either of my cards in dos mode

I have spent around 12 hrs so far 'messing' around and getting nowhere

Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated

Ensure you've got a working BIOS for the bricked card by confirming your device ID's are identical in windows (if the card is showing up in Device manager) and google the card's entire part number to check for differences.

If you find differences dig around for a working bios online.

If the card isn't showing up in device manager or you're certain they're identical check my above post.
post #218 of 303 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 11:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by DElvey View Post

I have a vapor-x that is playing up. One day it would not boot
Now running ati flash in both windows and DOS enables me to see the card and flash it. However I still get a black screen. Under GPU-Z the card states it has a generic standard VGA and 4GB of RAM which is clearly wrong. Could the bios be completely fubar? I have tried using the BIOS switch to no avail either

Sounds like the device has failed due to hardware issues based on symptoms, sucks but it happens. Double check you're flashing the right bios like I mentioned to Gap and try flashing it in another working system to confirm.
post #219 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 05:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

I has one question about this.
Recently I had this problem when I updated My drivers to latest 14.12 omega
Card is Sapphire HD 6790 1gb and After regular restart after installation I had black screen after win logo and before welcome screen and it just sits there frozen.
When i start my windows in safe mode It works. So After(many many ... many, many) windows reinstalations I figured as soon as I install drivers card blacks out after restart and I cant use normal mode.
Could it be that Bios is broken and thats why its allergic to Drivers. It will work only on stock Microsoft drivers If I update Windows it also blacks out because Windows has specialized ATI drivers.(even stock drivers from Sapphire dun work)
If so could I flash Bios without all this pull out put in process since my card is working normally until drivers try to load?

I DIDNT flash or tried to flash my bios card is completely stock and OC by ATI integrated software so i didnt mess with it.
post #220 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 06:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

can anyone help me with my GV-N770OC-4GD i had made a copy of my bios and i delete it by accident now i try every bios in http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/ but none of them match my gpu every time i flash the bios it came back to 80.04.e6.00.1c sadsmiley.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in