How To: Unbrick Your Bricked Graphics Card/Fix a Failed BIOS Flash - Page 26 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How To: Unbrick Your Bricked Graphics Card/Fix a Failed BIOS Flash

post #251 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 10:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screemi View Post

Hi

i already posted in the polaris bios mod thread but found this one while googling. maybe it's the better place to discuss my problem

no i found the following quote in the comments of the 8-1 pin method:
that seems to be the case for my card. does anybody have an idea how to fix it apart of the pin shortening?

if not i have to go the pin route. does anybody have an idea where the bioschip of the strix 480 is located? after some googling i found a picture of the back of the pcb but the resolution is not that high. i marked the ic i suspect to be the bios.

€dit:

I tried atiflash 4.17 from 2013 but i get a "adapter not found". any other dos versions i can try?

€dit: i used every force string available with atiflash and what can i tell you: The freaking Card is up and running again!!!! should have tried that earlier. already got my solder iron ready biggrin.gif

Is that the correct chip? Which is pin 1 and pin 8?

EDIT:
That is the correct chip, however the pins that @mikhan posted are NOT correct. When looking at the chip and reading the writing on it, you need to short the pins on the left side that are across from one another (note the location of the notch):

LL

Works like a charm!!! Thanks so much mikhan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 303 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 11:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hello guys.
i have 2 r9 290 tri x oc, one its briked beacause a bad flash.atiflash wont detect it.

can you tell me if i can, and what pins are the ones to recover the bios chip?

bios chip model pm25L0010

thanks you all
post #253 of 303 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 12:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexilonidas View Post

Hello guys.
i have 2 r9 290 tri x oc, one its briked beacause a bad flash.atiflash wont detect it.

can you tell me if i can, and what pins are the ones to recover the bios chip?

bios chip model pm25L0010

thanks you all

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/hp-hd7950-original-bios.176059/#post-2789240
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 303 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hello friends.

I have a sapphire rx 470 4 gb nitro card. I installed the wrong bios mode.

PM25LQ020 on bios chip

Are the locations of pins 1 and 8 in the picture correct?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sorry for the bad english.
post #255 of 303 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Yes these pins are correct, i have reprogrammed the bios with this connection. My display card is working fine now. Thank you very much for your help and sharing.
post #256 of 303 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:54 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 84 (Unique: 62)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kallday View Post

Hey guys. Stumbled upon this thread and this seems to be the closest topic to what I'm looking for... I've tried just about every single method possible that my Google-Fu has lead me to, but I still seem to be unable to flash a stock BIOS back onto my XFX reference rx480.

I've attached a screenshot of what I'm dealing with. I've tried the -F switch to no avail. I've tried moving ATIflash to my C: drive to attempt to minimize user error. I've tried mutliple file renames, and I have been running the command prompt in administrative mode as well. I receive the exact same error every time, regardless of which method I attempt-- ERROR: 0FL01

Anyone have any ideas/tips/tricks? I'm at my wits end with this. The custom BIOS was flashed successfully and was working (mostly). I have tried flashing with the rx480 as my primary adapter and with the IGD as my primary and both times I receive the same error. FWIW, the rx480 is recognized in the device manager when booting on IGD.

Any input is greatly appreciated... I didn't budget for an rx580 so soon :'(

Did you end up fixing it? haha thumb.gif

0FL01 = ATIWinFlash.exe not running as administrator.... right click on the ATIWinflash.exe and go to compatibility and set run as administrator... then hold shift in atiwinflash directory and right click... Open Command Prompt Here......

Atiwinflash -ai

detect gpu 0 & 1 ? or just 1 GPU?

atiwinflash -f -p 0 bios.rom ... only for flashing back to original bios if used different bios with different dev id.... etc

Just right Click ATIWINFLASH.EXE Open As Administrator .... & ... open .rom & Flash & Good to Go thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenn82 View Post

talk to @chris89 he can probably coach you through your woes. he is a bios modding machine for nvidia and amd cards. thumb.gif

thank you for you kind words. thumb.gif

my rx 550 doesn't detect after flashing rx 560 power color non-lp bios to lp 550.... doesn't detect...

I was directed to this thread from polaris thread... they say pin 1 to ground... boot and whatever else.. i feel like the pins are too close... tricky stuff?

Any actual pics of anyone wiring the pins or whatever? thx

Dell Precision T7500 : Dual Xeon X5675 @ 3.536Ghz X 24 Threads : 48 Gigabytes : Cinebench R15 : 1505 : AMD R9 390X 8GB @ 1173Mhz 1350mv 57599 Power Limit @ 1250Mhz memory error free on tight timings / since 1500mhz+ had errors galore
post #257 of 303 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 07:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Thats the right chip. Check out 2 posts before yours where asukasan MS-painted over the two pins, those are the ones you need to short. All I did was take a small wire and hold it to the pins and then used my toe to flip the switch on the power strip (My PC is set to turn on after power loss), or else you could get someone else in your house to turn on the computer while you're holding the wire. Good luck!
post #258 of 303 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 84 (Unique: 62)
Thanks I got it working... showed up in ATIWinflash... just had a tiny wire that i pushed under the two wires here... booted up into windows.. .then pulled the wire and opened ATIWinflash.exe as administrator as V2.7.7 ATIWinFlash ... and now it works...

Had to do over the dos prompt but all is well, back up & running haha Neato thumb.gifbiggrin.gif

Dell Precision T7500 : Dual Xeon X5675 @ 3.536Ghz X 24 Threads : 48 Gigabytes : Cinebench R15 : 1505 : AMD R9 390X 8GB @ 1173Mhz 1350mv 57599 Power Limit @ 1250Mhz memory error free on tight timings / since 1500mhz+ had errors galore
post #259 of 303 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 10:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hello guys.

I came across a bricked MSI GTX 1060 6gb on Ebay at relatively cheap price . I checked with the seller if anything else was wrong with the it and he said that it was almost brand and apart from being bricked by his friend who was messing with the bios it was fine. After watching few GPU flashing videos I thought it would be a piece of cake to make it work, so I bought it. But boy I was wrong. I've been trying to flash it for the past 2 days but nothing's working. I looked through many threads and forums but this one looks most promising.

As of now I've tried nvflash from dos with different options, but it always returns "video adapter not found" message.

I also tried @anoob's guide on page 4 - switching between working and bricked GPUs. Both times when I unplugged working GPU from pci-e slot and inserted the bricked one, it sparked(?) and whole pc shut down.

The 1+8 pin method looked promising but I couldn't find that on back of my card.

Extra info: the bricked GPU has it's fans spinning and the lights are on but apart from that it has no signs of life, it's not detected in device manager nor in dos. Also my motherboard has only 1 PCI slot but it has iGPU.

I know I shouldn't have bought something which I wasn't sure I could fix. But, as I said, it seemed pretty straightforward :/

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks!

P.s. sorry if I'm missing something obvious, it's a new subject for me
Edited by riptin - Today at 10:28 am
post #260 of 303 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 10:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hello guys.

I came across a bricked MSI GTX 1060 6gb on Ebay at relatively cheap price . I checked with the seller if anything else was wrong with the it and he said that it was almost brand and apart from being bricked by his friend who was messing with the bios it was fine. After watching few GPU flashing videos I thought it would be a piece of cake to make it work, so I bought it. But boy I was wrong. I've been trying to flash it for the past 2 days but nothing's working. I looked through many threads and forums but this one looks most promising.

As of now I've tried nvflash from dos with different options, but it always returns "video adapter not found" message.

I also tried @anoob's guide on page 4 - switching between working and bricked GPUs. Both times when I unplugged working GPU from pci-e slot and inserted the bricked one, it sparked(?) and whole pc shut down.

The 1+8 pin method looked promising but I couldn't find that on back of my card.

Extra info: the bricked GPU has it's fans spinning and the lights are on but apart from that it has no signs of life, it's not detected in device manager nor in dos. Also my motherboard has only 1 PCI slot but it has iGPU.

I know I shouldn't have bought something which I wasn't sure I could fix. But, as I said, it seemed pretty straightforward :/

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks!

P.s. sorry if I'm missing something obvious, it's a new subject for me
Edited by riptin - Today at 10:28 am

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in