Why do SO MANY PC games not have AI in multiplayer? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Why do SO MANY PC games not have AI in multiplayer?

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 64)
I was looking into the Stronghold (castle-building RTS) series today, and this is yet another example of a game that lacks the capability to add AI's in multiplayer or LAN. I tend to play games with my brother, and simply want to play with humans vs. AI, and have been let down by so many games. I don't like the uber-competitiveness of online gaming. Either it's too competitive for the amount of time I'm willing to invest, or it's filled with swearing idiots, or it's just not as reliable. I also don't have many friends who game. So why can't I just add bots in multiplayer?

Let me just list a few game that lack the capability to use the singleplayer AI in multiplayer I've played off the top of my head:

Grid and the entire Dirt series (and most racing games)
Stronghold series.
Battlefield series.
Total War series.
Too many other games to count - I'm sure you guys can name many more.

In addition, it seems that the larger the developer, the more likely they are to not allow AI in multiplayer or LAN. Thus, this seems to be a feature that is not added when budgets are larger.

You can even Google ai in multiplayer games and come up with a host of results. And often these posts are unanswered or ignored (as this thread may be as well). Why do so games lack such a simple feature? Is it DRM? Is it programmer laziness? Do they simply hate co-op players? Is it actually HARD for developers to enable the singleplayer AI in a multiplayer game?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 31)
I remember James Bond on the N64, the AI multilayer was lots of fun.

The only game I have seen it in since then was Black Ops, but I don't play much games.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Aren't this fancy!

Rep: 299 (Unique: 257)
Are you sure about the stronghold games not having it? I'm fairly certain Stronghold crusader allows co-op vs bots. At least it seems like I LAN'd with my bro and we went vs bots, thats been a long time ago though..

And BF2 does have co-op with bots, BF2142 should also but maybe not, I'm not sure about the earlier games before BF2, BFBC2 doesn't though, very sad...

I appreciate co-op vs/with bots also, it makes nice easier targets, plus you can either be backed up by humans, or throw them into the mix as enemies for a challenge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:01 PM
A title was here

Rep: 208 (Unique: 162)
Because people don't play games online to play against AI ?

/common sense

There's no other way to say that redface.gif

8600K @ 4.8 | NH-D15 | ASRock z370 Extreme4 | 1080 Strix | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB SSD | 1TB WD CB | 2TB WD Blue | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 | Sound Blaster Zx | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (TG) | Logitech G900 | Logitech G810 | Sennheiser PC320 + HD419 | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | ViewSonic XG2703-GS
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster_is_better;14360380 
Are you sure about the stronghold games not having it? I'm fairly certain Stronghold crusader allows co-op vs bots. At least it seems like I LAN'd with my bro and we went vs bots, thats been a long time ago though..

And BF2 does have co-op with bots, BF2142 should also but maybe not, I'm not sure about the earlier games before BF2, BFBC2 doesn't though, very sad...

I appreciate co-op vs/with bots also, it makes nice easier targets, plus you can either be backed up by humans, or throw them into the mix as enemies for a challenge.

Stronghold 1 & 2 do not, but the offshoots like Crusader do. It appears that Stronghold 3 will not either.

BF2 does have co-op with bots, but not to the scale of the multiplayer. the 32 and 64-player maps are off-limits to all but strict multi-player.

I can just not understand why so many companies go to such measures to remove such obvious and easy-to-add functionality from their games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascii Aficionado;14360521 

/common sense

I exist, and others exist who clearly feel the same. I have seen no evidence that such functionality would not be incredibly easy to add. I repeat, what is really going on here?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 PM
A title was here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beric;14360539 

I exist, and others exist who clearly feel the same. I have seen no evidence that such functionality would not be incredibly easy to add. I repeat, what is really going on here?

How about you create a game, then program some AI then speak, ok ?

Comments like this perturb me.

8600K @ 4.8 | NH-D15 | ASRock z370 Extreme4 | 1080 Strix | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB SSD | 1TB WD CB | 2TB WD Blue | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 | Sound Blaster Zx | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (TG) | Logitech G900 | Logitech G810 | Sennheiser PC320 + HD419 | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | ViewSonic XG2703-GS
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascii Aficionado;14360585 
How about you create a game, then program some AI then speak, ok ?

Comments like this perturb me.

That's an ad-hominem attack, but I'll answer it anyway. I have minimally coded games before. The AI in all of these games already exists. It simply needs to be enabled in multiplayer. It's as simply as checking a box, really.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascii Aficionado;14360521 

/common sense

Fill up the server when empty? Also besides online, AI is awesome for small lans!

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 35)
Two great modern games with AI in multiplayer that I play:

1. Civilization V (Whether you're playing against your friends or doing co-op, or doing teams the other civilizations are AI. If a friend leaves AI takes over.)

2. Left 4 Dead 2 (Zombies. Nuff' said.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvanSuper go_quote.gif
PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socko1965 go_quote.gif
My wife said "It's me or the computer!" I still miss her.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 PM
A title was here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beric;14360600 
That's an ad-hominem attack, but I'll answer it anyway. I have minimally coded games before. The AI in all of these games already exists. It simply needs to be enabled in multiplayer. It's as simply as checking a box, really.

There's a difference between something you "minimally coded" and a multimillion dollar game that would likely require superb AI.

I have also coded AI before, regardless of talent on either side, it's not easy, considering we're not talking about Doom 1/2 AI here.

It's also irrelevant as most people buy games now purely to play them online, unlike 10 years ago where you had to have AI.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in