Future Pinball 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Future Pinball 2

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1396 (Unique: 920)

Greetings and Salutations good people. .

Today, I've come across something very special and close to my heart. I used to spend a lot of times in arcades and amusement halls when I was younger. Raining down my wrath upon Galaga machines, destroying countless hardwood floors with my horrendous bowling skills, and gorging on frosty chocolate milkshakes. Arcades were a golden age for gaming. So when I discovered a pinball simulator that not only has actual physics but also recreates real life tables from back in the day, I was sold.

This is.... FUTURE PINBALL.

A lot of folks write off pinball as a simple and easy game. After all, it's just a little chrome ball bouncing a glass enclosure right? BAH, BE GONE PHILISTINE! Having played countless tables in my hayday, I can honestly tell you, it's a game nobody truly masters. Any Tom, Dick and Harry can spank a table like it owes them money, there's no real talent/skill in that. It's learning the ins and outs of each of those tables that gives pinball such a unique appeal. Future Pinball delivers on that aspect in spades. It's a completely open source and free sim, which means there are hundreds of tables premade ready for download (I'll include links below) and you can even make your own. I tried my hand at recreating one of my favorite tables (A Williams "Simpsons" Table from 2003) but my hazy memory caused me a bit of trouble. You could easily lose hours in the editor, even if you have no designing experience like myself. Controls are quite customizable as well, you can set them to whatever you wish in the options menu. Personally, I used Xpadder to set the flippers to the left and right triggers on my XBOX 360 Controller. It adds an excellent sense of spring and feedback to the game and made it a much more immersive experience.

If this is your first time playing any sort of pinball game, think of each table as a collection of mini missions. Every one will have a different set of objectives and way to earn points and snag extra balls. For example, on the table "Medieval Castle", one of the objectives is to knock out of a group of knights gathered at the center in order to advance into the castle itself. From there, you can surf the moat, do little jousting matches, free prisoners, and a variety of other things. Every table is full of little things like that, which gives the game so much replay value. Most of the time, you can look up at the top screen of the cabinet to see what to do next, but by no means are you obligated to complete any missions. Feel free to just mess around and knock your balls against those flippers till you pass out.

It also doesn't hurt that FP is a strikingly gorgeous game. There's plenty of options to make it look as drool worthy or as plain as you want. Pretty handy for letting just about any computer to run it. The majority of the tables I played were all vibrant and well done with just the perfect amount of flash. The redone classic tables from the 60's/70's/80's/etc were also perfectly treated. The people who take the time to recreate them usually have the actual table within their grasp, so accuracy is always a top priority. You can also switch up your views on the table from a low perspective (Flipper View), to the scrolling perspective (Following the ball), or just to a zoomed out perspective (Whole Table view).

If you were never around to enjoy the art that was Pinball in it's glory days, definitely take a gander at this one. It takes the best tables ever created, adds a bit of polish, and even lets you craft your own maniacal creations. Give it a shot!

Download Game Here!

Get Tables Here!

Quote:
Default Controls: (I highly suggesting mapping to a gamepad's triggers instead of the keyboard).

Left Shift: Flipper
Right Shift: Flipper
1: Start Game
5,6,7: Insert Coin
Enter: Plunger
A: Special
': Special 2
Space: Nudge Up
/: Nudge Right
Z: Nudge Left
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 501 (Unique: 394)
Nice! I used to play Full Tilt Pinball on the Windows 95 game sampler disc (back when it was made by Maxis). I'll have to check this out when I get home from work.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATFISH View Post
Nice! I used to play Full Tilt Pinball on the Windows 95 game sampler disc (back when it was made by Maxis). I'll have to check this out when I get home from work.
Post screenshots of what tables you get!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 386 (Unique: 312)
Nice find
Frickfrock have you thought of a way to consolidate all your great gaming finds?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 236 (Unique: 195)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 10:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 25)
Sweet, a new game for me to mess with until bf3, and as of today the awaited new batman game.

Played pinball on older os's but I will definitely give this a shot when I get home. I'm only 21 so I obviously wasn't around in the glory days.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagle3092 View Post
Nice find
Frickfrock have you thought of a way to consolidate all your great gaming finds?
Yes, I plan to acquire a major cable network and broadcast my reviews 24/7.
Expect it by November 14, 2011.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 33)
I scoured the net for pinball games and didn't find this for some reason...
I'll have to see how it compares to Pro Pinball.

Listening to: Badfinger, Joe Cocker, Dave Mason

Gibson LP Special > Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 97 (Unique: 70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post
Yes, I plan to acquire a major cable network and broadcast my reviews 24/7.
Expect it by November 14, 2011.
hehe, nice find indeed

Playing:
- Starcraft 2 (Profile, Replays(1, 2))

Clubs:
- Canadian OCN Club (link)
- OCN Diablo III Club (Info, link)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWalsh View Post
I scoured the net for pinball games and didn't find this for some reason...
I'll have to see how it compares to Pro Pinball.
What others do you play?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in