Skyrim crashes when overclocking? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Skyrim crashes when overclocking?

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 18)
Whenever I run my GPU with an overclock the game crashes a few seconds after loading. Is anyone else having issues running this game overclocked. I've tried 3 different driver versions, including the new betas, and the game still crashes, so it's obviously not a driver issue. I'm able to play BF3 with an overclocked card no problem, but not Skyrim.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Corsair Carbide Series [400R/500R] Owners Club

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 04:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
my OC both GPU and CPU are fine. Occasionally i experience a random crash to desktop but that's on a rare occasion and if i've been alt+tabbing alot.

At this stage i cant think what it may be causing your troubles, but mite i reccomend toying with the audio settings a bit, 16bit/24bit 48000hz/96 etc
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I know it's not an audio issue, I'm able to play without crashing when my GPU overclock is turned off. The only time I crash is when I enable my GPU overclock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The problem seems to be Nvidia Inspector, MSI Afterburner appears to work fine. This is strange because I was having the same problem with Afterburner in BF3, where it would cause the game to crash. I can use Nvidia Inspector while playing BF3, but not Afterburner. Skyrim game is giving me the opposite problem.

If anyone is experiencing crashing, Nvidia Inspector might be the culprit.

It's strange that I have to use different overclocking utilities for different games. I don't understand why one crashes BF3 and the other Skyrim.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 89 (Unique: 81)
That means your overclock is not stable.

Overclocking gpus is more complex than with cpus. You can't just run the most demanding game and call the overclock stable if it runs it fine. You have to run a host of games, benches, tests.

Now if you get the same problems with the card at stock, then you may have another issue.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 960 (Unique: 705)
Differrt games/programs can affect a overclock differtly this one must stress more in a area that causes it to crash i remmber crysis 2 would crash my pc if i had any overclock on my gpus.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Yeah Crysis 2 gave me white flashes with my overclock that was stable in metro2033, crysis 1, furmark, 3dmark06, stalker, Shogun 2, and about 20 other games.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 50)
No problems running my overclock here in Skyrim. Make sure it's stable first though.

gunner2.gifdevil.gifgunner.gif
I can take the heat!

CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid MX Red

Denon AHD2000 + FiiO E12
Nvidia 3d Vision Validation
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestyle View Post

That means your overclock is not stable.
Overclocking gpus is more complex than with cpus. You can't just run the most demanding game and call the overclock stable if it runs it fine. You have to run a host of games, benches, tests.
Now if you get the same problems with the card at stock, then you may have another issue.

I do test on multiple games; Dead Island, Crysis 2, GTA4, Red Orchestra 2, and BF3. I'm stable in all those games @ 900/2000. However, BF3 always crashes when using Afterburner. When I loaded the same clocks speeds in Nvidia Inspector and disabled Afterburner, BF3 ran without crashing. Now I've discovered the opposite issue with Skyrim. It crashes with Nvidia Inspector, but works with Afterburner. Obviously this isn't a stability issue since I'm able to play all those games at the same clock frequencies.

It appears the issue is with the overclocking utility software.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 12:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jrock60 View Post

I do test on multiple games; Dead Island, Crysis 2, GTA4, Red Orchestra 2, and BF3. I'm stable in all those games @ 900/2000. However, BF3 always crashes when using Afterburner. When I loaded the same clocks speeds in Nvidia Inspector and disabled Afterburner, BF3 ran without crashing. Now I've discovered the opposite issue with Skyrim. It crashes with Nvidia Inspector, but works with Afterburner. Obviously this isn't a stability issue since I'm able to play all those games at the same clock frequencies.
It appears the issue is with the overclocking utility software.

Obviously, that is the most important piece of information you should've put in your OP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in