How to: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game

post #21 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 41 (Unique: 35)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM

This is awsome biggrin.gif
post #23 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 289 (Unique: 255)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

I've never used AIDA64 so I can't comment on that. Then again, I've never paid the $39.95 they ask for the least expensive edition.
HWiNFO, on the other hand, is Freeware, so kudos to Mumak!

It's the most useful tool I've ever found. $40 is less than a new game, and I've been using this prog for years (since it was Everest). How many games do you play for years? It's less than I'd spend on dinner for two, a tank of gas or a concert or sports ticket. I've used it on countless machines and can't imagine overclocking without it.

$40 was worth every penny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 879 (Unique: 498)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBob View Post

Must rember this... MSI is good and all but not knowing my cpu is annoying. Ty.thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenekrabs View Post

This is awsome biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thAche View Post

It's the most useful tool I've ever found. $40 is less than a new game, and I've been using this prog for years (since it was Everest). How many games do you play for years? It's less than I'd spend on dinner for two, a tank of gas or a concert or sports ticket. I've used it on countless machines and can't imagine overclocking without it.
$40 was worth every penny.

What about HWiNFO ? Have you tried it ? What do you think of it compared to AIDA64 ?

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

post #25 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Hi,

i7 2600K HT on @ 4.3 all cores
gtx 670 SLI
8 gigs ram @ 1866
P8P67 mobo

I have GPU usage issues as well. I installed the monitoring software and here is my observations.

Map: Strike at Karkand

CPU usage across the board (all 8 threads) was between 40-70%, usually around 50-60% on all 8.

GPU usage for each GPU was about 50-60%

Framerate, 58-70FPS

This leads me to think that our issue is with this game and not out hardware. I had these same GPU usage problems with BFBC2 and gtx 570 SLI. It was the same thing, low GPU usage despite having a blazing fast CPU. So there you have it. I am sadened by this very much as I was hoping these problems would have been fixed with the gtx 600 series, but I was wrong. They are still here and it seems we can't do anything to fix it. The problem seems to be with BF3 simply sucking ass at utilizing multiple GPU setups. If anyone has found a solution to this or a way to improve it, please do share.
post #26 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 02:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Thanks for making this. I do have a question *noob incoming* GPU Utilization monitors the load on the GPU correct?

Main reason I'm getting this is because I just got Arma 2 and it's wrecking my system specifically multiplayer but I hear that has to do with the coding so yeah. But either way this is very useful in game always nice to know you can see whats going on in game!
post #27 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsrage View Post

Thanks for making this. I do have a question *noob incoming* GPU Utilization monitors the load on the GPU correct?

Yep
post #28 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 03:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 32)
nice guide... i used this way

msi afterburner on the screen showing gpu usage, core/shaders/memory usage, temps, and for the cpu usage i use coretemp display in my logitech g15 , i see the 4 cores usage.. ezepezze..
post #29 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 03:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 87 (Unique: 80)
While it certainly is nice to monitor CPU usage, it's ultimately useless to determine bottlenecks as windows likes to assign processor load across several cores and Amdahl's Law and Hyperthreading makes things even more complicated. Short story, CPU usage is useless to determine processor bottlenecks unless you're running a single core without hyperthreading.

GPU Usage, on the other hand, is a lot more informative as a non-99% usage indicates a PCIe/CPU-bottleneck (which with todays CPUs means the same thing: swap processor for better performance.)

Main rig
(16 items)
CPU
R7 1700X
Motherboard
STRIX X470-F
GPU
RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
16GB G. Skill RipjawsV 3600 CL16
Hard Drive
970 EVO
Hard Drive
860 EVO
Optical Drive
No
Power Supply
AX 860
Cooling
MCP655
Cooling
Alphacool RTX 2080 Ti full cover block
Cooling
EKWB Supremacy EVO AMD
Cooling
EK 360
Cooling
Alphacool 240
Case
Fractal Design Define R6
Operating System
Yes
Monitor
EX3501R
▲ hide details ▲

post #30 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1156 (Unique: 763)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arni90 View Post

While it certainly is nice to monitor CPU usage, it's ultimately useless to determine bottlenecks as windows likes to assign processor load across several cores and Amdahl's Law and Hyperthreading makes things even more complicated. Short story, CPU usage is useless to determine processor bottlenecks unless you're running a single core without hyperthreading.
GPU Usage, on the other hand, is a lot more informative as a non-99% usage indicates a PCIe/CPU-bottleneck (which with todays CPUs means the same thing: swap processor for better performance.)

1000x THIS. Man I wish I didn't have to explain this over and over to people on these boards thumb.gif

However, the TOTAL cpu usage % can be somewhat useful if you know for certain how many cores a game is coded for. I.E. if you have 4 cores, and you know the game is coded for only 2, and you see usage pegged at 50% total on a quad-core ... it's pretty well indicative that there could be CPU BN going on. However the converse is not necessarily true ... can't rule out a CPU BN just cause you're not at 50%, IOW.

Also I should point out there's other bottlenecks that can cause <99% usage aside from CPU/PCIe. Could also be a lack of system RAM, for example. Additionally, the BN can even be internal to the card itself, such as by over-saturation of memory subsystem bandwidth, or vram capacity being tapped out, in the particular gaming scenario at hand. And driver or game bugs can also cause it ... through various mechanisms like causing excessive texture swapping or causing a lot of cache misses to occur thumb.gif

Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56 (Nano-based) With Samsung OC'ing in Progress!
CPU
xeon X5675 6c/12t @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht) Gen 1 I7 Baby!!!
Motherboard
rampage iii extreme
GPU
Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56 (Samsung) Stock Bios For Now!
RAM
3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 ([email protected])
Hard Drive
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb spinpoint (bu)
Optical Drive
plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive ever
Power Supply
abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w
Cooling
corsair h8o v2 aio
Case
silverstone rv-03
Operating System
W10 home
Monitor
LG Ultrawide QHD 21:9 Curved IPS Monitor 3440 x 1440 AMD FreeSync
Audio
XFi Titanium
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in