How to: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game

post #31 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 09:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 289 (Unique: 255)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post

1000x THIS. Man I wish I didn't have to explain this over and over to people on these boards thumb.gif
However, the TOTAL cpu usage % can be somewhat useful if you know for certain how many cores a game is coded for. I.E. if you have 4 cores, and you know the game is coded for only 2, and you see usage pegged at 50% total on a quad-core ... it's pretty well indicative that there could be CPU BN going on. However the converse is not necessarily true ... can't rule out a CPU BN just cause you're not at 50%, IOW.
Also I should point out there's other bottlenecks that can cause <99% usage aside from CPU/PCIe. Could also be a lack of system RAM, for example. Additionally, the BN can even be internal to the card itself, such as by over-saturation of memory subsystem bandwidth, or vram capacity being tapped out, in the particular gaming scenario at hand. And driver or game bugs can also cause it ... through various mechanisms like causing excessive texture swapping or causing a lot of cache misses to occur thumb.gif

^This. You need to see per-core (Aida64) useage and interpret your data, and you can identify CPU bottlenecks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thAche View Post

^This. You need to see per-core (Aida64) useage and interpret your data, and you can identify CPU bottlenecks.

It shows usage per core?

lol
post #33 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 87 (Unique: 80)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thAche View Post

No, that doesn't work. Even though a program creates several threads and windows assigns them to different cores, a lot of those threads will be interdependent. Thus, even though no single core will look like it's hit it's maximum load, you'll still hit single-thread performance limits. Every program measuring CPU load is 100% useless for determining bottlenecks.

Heck, I just wrote a C++ program counting from 0 to 1000 for 1 000 000 times, even such a simple program won't load a single core 100%

Main rig
(16 items)
CPU
R7 1700X
Motherboard
STRIX X470-F
GPU
RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
16GB G. Skill RipjawsV 3600 CL16
Hard Drive
970 EVO
Hard Drive
860 EVO
Optical Drive
No
Power Supply
AX 860
Cooling
MCP655
Cooling
Alphacool RTX 2080 Ti full cover block
Cooling
EKWB Supremacy EVO AMD
Cooling
EK 360
Cooling
Alphacool 240
Case
Fractal Design Define R6
Operating System
Yes
Monitor
EX3501R
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:39 AM
HWiNFO Author

Rep: 259 (Unique: 108)
In preemptive multitasking OSes (like NT and later is), it should be enough to write a busy-loop and give it a very high priority. That will result in reporting CPU/core load of 100%. That means the core has work to do, BUT it doesn't mean that all the CPU/core resources are really used to 100%. There will still be execution units unused. So it's a kind of workload to keep the execution unit busy, which will result in higher power consumption and temperature. However, it's possible to write a specially crafted code (per a particular CPU design) which will result in much higher CPU resource utilization and that can bring the CPU to it's power limits (TDP). Such type of workload is called TDP-workload and is usually used by system designers to check thermal design. Usual applications never achieve such high level of workload/power.

HWiNFO Author
post #35 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 05:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 53)
This makes it alot easier for me, instead of having to use a different monitor, I can just display things like Fraps does.thumb.gif
post #36 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:23 PM

Would you be able to use the msi afterburner and HWinfo to display CPU core temps as well in game? Also GPU temp instead of load? Or would displaying load and temps be possible along with FPS? (Not sure if this would be good though, wouldn't it take up a bunch of the screen?)

I have an EVGA GPU, am I still able to use msi's program or is there an EVGA equivalent to this?

One last thing, would you be able to change the color of the text to red for example?
post #37 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 452 (Unique: 384)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post

Would you be able to use the msi afterburner and HWinfo to display CPU core temps as well in game? Also GPU temp instead of load? Or would displaying load and temps be possible along with FPS? (Not sure if this would be good though, wouldn't it take up a bunch of the screen?)
I have an EVGA GPU, am I still able to use msi's program or is there an EVGA equivalent to this?
One last thing, would you be able to change the color of the text to red for example?
Yes to everything (I think), you can get any sensor/load/clock/temp value from HWInfo (or Aida64) and change the color in the OSD's control panel. It works with any recent GPU.

post #38 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 06:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 14)
just set this up per OP, but its not showing the core usage in the onscreen display. shows GPU stats but not CPU. any help?

got it work, but how do I change the order it displays, I need my cores at the top of the screen instead of the 4th row down.

post #39 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Aren't this fancy!

Rep: 299 (Unique: 257)
Hmm, I have had this setup for a bit but I had to disable HWinfo because I couldn't get FPS to work. Now I see you put a workaround. Although, is it possible to get it to work with Afterburner running as well? I use it for setting clocks/voltage and a custom fan profile, so if it is disabled I don't think the OC will be set...

Maybe Mumak has an idea? Or if he could add an FPS reader into the tool itself, that would be epic biggrin.gif I think it is about the only thing missing, every other stat can be pulled from his tool.

post #40 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:13 AM

So would using these programs (Riva OSD, HWinfo) to display info actually decrease performance FPS wise? I wanted to display temps and loads along with FPS for my CPU and GPU, would my FPS take a hit by displaying all of this? Can anyone confirm?

I have an EVGA GTX 570 if that makes a difference, and an i7 2600K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in