How to: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game

post #41 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
HWiNFO Author

Rep: 295 (Unique: 121)
In HWiNFO Sensors -> Configure you can change the line number at which the value will be displayed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newwt View Post

just set this up per OP, but its not showing the core usage in the onscreen display. shows GPU stats but not CPU. any help?
got it work, but how do I change the order it displays, I need my cores at the top of the screen instead of the 4th row down.

HWiNFO Author
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:43 PM
HWiNFO Author

There should be no problem running it with Afterburner and FPS will be displayed by the "On-Screen Display Server" when enabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster_is_better View Post

Hmm, I have had this setup for a bit but I had to disable HWinfo because I couldn't get FPS to work. Now I see you put a workaround. Although, is it possible to get it to work with Afterburner running as well? I use it for setting clocks/voltage and a custom fan profile, so if it is disabled I don't think the OC will be set...
Maybe Mumak has an idea? Or if he could add an FPS reader into the tool itself, that would be epic biggrin.gif I think it is about the only thing missing, every other stat can be pulled from his tool.

HWiNFO Author
post #43 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 PM
HWiNFO Author

There are some sensors that might cause a performance degradation, especially the "EC" sensors and some SMART. I advise to first try HWiNFO sensors and watch the system load. If you see any issues, then disable particular sensors to determine which ones are causing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post

So would using these programs (Riva OSD, HWinfo) to display info actually decrease performance FPS wise? I wanted to display temps and loads along with FPS for my CPU and GPU, would my FPS take a hit by displaying all of this? Can anyone confirm?
I have an EVGA GTX 570 if that makes a difference, and an i7 2600K.

HWiNFO Author
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumak View Post

There are some sensors that might cause a performance degradation, especially the "EC" sensors and some SMART. I advise to first try HWiNFO sensors and watch the system load. If you see any issues, then disable particular sensors to determine which ones are causing it.

I don't exactly know what EC sensors are, or SMART ones but i'm just looking to display temps, load, and FPS basically.

What do you mean by try HWinfo sensors first? I thought Riva OSD ran off the HWinfo sensors to display the info on the screen?
post #45 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 02:14 PM
HWiNFO Author

"EC" sensors are types of sensors displayed in the sensor list in HWiNFO, some examples are: "DELL EC", "ASUS EC", etc.

HWiNFO reads sensor data and "pushes" them to the OSD Server.
Quote:

I don't exactly know what EC sensors are, or SMART ones but i'm just looking to display temps, load, and FPS basically.
What do you mean by try HWinfo sensors first? I thought Riva OSD ran off the HWinfo sensors to display the info on the screen?

HWiNFO Author
post #46 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Aren't this fancy!

Rep: 299 (Unique: 257)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumak View Post

The SMART comes from the hard drives, so constantly checking the "health" of the drives may put a small load on them and decrease performance slightly and unnecessarily. At least that was pretty much what I had read last time I was at the HWinfo forums.

Basically it should be an unnoticeable impact on performance to read most of the sensors.

@Mumak,

Hmm so FPS counter should actually work with Afterburner and the RTSS server running? It didn't seem to when I was setting it up before. It was more like an either or scenario. I couldn't pull any data setup in Afterburner, after I had configured and run HWinfo. Not sure if it was a "line" issue or maybe something else. I'm fairly certain I had it set up right in Afterburner itself. Might need to check it again and/or update to another version of AB.

post #47 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:32 PM
HWiNFO Author

Regarding SMART - that's true, but there's another aspect. When HWiNFO asks the drive for its temperature via its controller's driver, the driver might perform several operations depending on how it's written. So some drivers might add even more performance drops to the entire system. For example, certain versions of Intel RST drivers were know to cause considerable performance impact when asking them for the SMART status.

Yes, the FPS counter is provided by the RTSS itself when enabled. If you don't see this counter then it might be a line issue. To explain this better - HWiNFO just publishes data into a certain slot for RTSS. The FPS counter is in a different slot and this entire information is then displayed by the RTSS. Maybe try to upgrade to the latest version of RTSS or try different line settings in HWiNFO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster_is_better View Post

The SMART comes from the hard drives, so constantly checking the "health" of the drives may put a small load on them and decrease performance slightly and unnecessarily. At least that was pretty much what I had read last time I was at the HWinfo forums.
Basically it should be an unnoticeable impact on performance to read most of the sensors.
@Mumak,
Hmm so FPS counter should actually work with Afterburner and the RTSS server running? It didn't seem to when I was setting it up before. It was more like an either or scenario. I couldn't pull any data setup in Afterburner, after I had configured and run HWinfo. Not sure if it was a "line" issue or maybe something else. I'm fairly certain I had it set up right in Afterburner itself. Might need to check it again and/or update to another version of AB.

HWiNFO Author
post #48 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 07:57 PM

I don't mean to bump this thread again, but I didn't want to make a whole new thread about this.

I think I might shake a stick at overclocking my GPU using MSI Afterburner. Going to be my first GPU overclock ever, on my first PC build so I still have no idea how this is going to go.

There's no way I can run MSI Afterburner and use RivaTuner OSD to display temps, load, and FPS in games? I was told MSI Afterburner was needed for the overclock on the GPU to be enabled, and i'd like to see more than just FPS that FRAPS provides.
post #49 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 06:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Wow thanks. This is a lot of help.
post #50 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 07:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 21)
I've had some weird problems with HWiNFO64.

I had sound skipping (best I can describe) issues. This problem only occurs when I have HWiNFO64 monitoring app (Vcore, cpu, gpu temps 12v rails etc) running in the background. This sound skipping problem is very very noticeable when I listen to mp3 while HWiNFO64 running in the background. It seems like there's some conflict between temp/voltage monitoring sensor on the board and Realtek 898 chip.

I've tried several different versions of HWiNFO64 since May until now.
I've tried difference BIOS for Fatal1ty Z77 Professional board (v1.00, 1.10, 1.20 and 1.30 BIOS)

My other PC with P67 Gigabyte board doesn't exhibit this problem.

I've found out recently that the cause of this sound skipping problem is S.M.A.R.T. reading in HWiNFO64 (AIDA64 reads and causes no problem)

HWiNFO64 -> Configure -> Settings -> under Safety tab
There are 3 options for IDE Drive Scan
- Safe Mode (default)
- Low-level IO Access
- Disable Drive Scan

That option is responsible for SSD/HDD temp monitoring (S.M.A.R.T.)

Once I selected "Disable Drive Scan", the sound skipping problem was completely gone. (Since I disabled it, I no longer get temp monitoring value for my SSD/HDD). Not a big deal. But this is a work around rather than a solution.

So... it seems like there was a conflict there.

My storage configuration is..
Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD (Windows 7 boot)
2 x Seagate 1TB Barracuda ST1000DM003 in RAID-0
1 x Seagate 1TB Barracuda ST1000DM003 (for data)
They're all connected to Intel SATA ports. (ASMedia SATA ports are disabled in BIOS)
(I don't have any ODD).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in