Trine + Trine 2 Stutter - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Trine + Trine 2 Stutter

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
I bought Trine 2 today after thoroughly enjoying the first game a year ago but have run to strange stuttering with objects that I can interact with (i.e. platforms, wizards-conjured objects, other objects I can push around). When they move, it reminds of telecine judder , but my character's movement is completely fine. Mind you, I'm always running at 60 fps (so it's not fps related) and have tried every possible launcher setting (including vysnc and manually setting refresh rate). I re-downloaded Trine (the first one) to see if it did the same thing as I know when I had played it in the past it was completely butter; strangely enough, it does the exact same thing. The only things in my rig I have changed since then are my monitor, PSU, and ofc graphics drivers. Any ideas on a likely culprit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 200 (Unique: 157)
For Trine 1 even on my rig... it was an issue with the AA. It's even noted on the steam forums by the developers, they suggested not using it. So try disabling it... turn off in game vsync and force it outside of the game.

For Trine 2, if you go into the display options within the game and use the frame limiter and limit the fps to 59. It will mostly get rid of the judder. You can play around with using in game vsync or outside, to see which is smoother.

skull.gif[Official] Delidded Crewman skull.gifCurrently Playing
Dead Space 2 | Batman Arkham Asylum | Grid AS | Mass Effect 2 | The Wolf Among Us | Max Payne 3
Finished Games
Anamoly | Home | DLC Quest | Limbo | Dead Space | Tomb Raider | Oil Rush | Legendary
The Walking Dead | Ittle Dew | Saints Row The Third | Outlast | Dyad | Max Payne | Max Payne 2
Steam Profile
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
None of that seemed to help. I noticed in task manager that Trine runs as a 32bit program but in NVCP programs I can see that a 64bit version does exist. Could that be an issue? One thing I hate about computer gaming is crap like this. mad.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 200 (Unique: 157)
Sorry. frown.gif

Not a clue about the 64bit thing. I suggest you post in the Steam forum for the game. The devs come on and off and answer questions. Specially since right now they know their game was on sale...

skull.gif[Official] Delidded Crewman skull.gifCurrently Playing
Dead Space 2 | Batman Arkham Asylum | Grid AS | Mass Effect 2 | The Wolf Among Us | Max Payne 3
Finished Games
Anamoly | Home | DLC Quest | Limbo | Dead Space | Tomb Raider | Oil Rush | Legendary
The Walking Dead | Ittle Dew | Saints Row The Third | Outlast | Dyad | Max Payne | Max Payne 2
Steam Profile
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi guys, Joel from Frozenbyte here. If both games have the stutter, then it points to a driver issue probably. Trine 1 was generally quite stutter-free (except low fps which may have been caused by antialiasing - later versions have slightly faster AA), and Trine 2 has different kinds of rare stutters (usually applied to the whole frame, not just a specific object)...

This sounds very weird though, haven't heard of it before. I can think of two non-hardware reasons though - PhysX, and corrupt game files, or combination of both. So first try to re-download the entire game (delete and download), and then see about reinstalling PhysX. If it still doesn't help, then graphics drivers is next (and sometimes that's a bit difficult with the NVIDIA drivers when PhysX is thrown into the mix). I'll also PM you an alternative suggestion which probably won't help though.

We don't distribute a 64-bit version of the game btw, 32-bit is what everyone has. It shouldn't have any issues on 64-bit machines. (This is due to a few reasons, and might change in the future.)

And yeah I may not stumble upon here again so the Steam Forums or email is the best way to get in touch. smile.gif

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine & Trine 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in