How To: Anti-Aliasing/Shader Injection (SweetFX, GeDoSaTo, GEMFX, and ReShade) - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How To: Anti-Aliasing/Shader Injection (SweetFX, GeDoSaTo, GEMFX, and ReShade)

post #21 of 1673 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 200 (Unique: 157)
Thank you so much for your work! I was able to finally get Hot Pursuit looking exactly like I wanted it. thumb.gif

Any suggestions on the settings for sharpening? Would you say that the default are fine? I ask, because I don't see a range set for some of the options. Also, is it possible to simply drop FXAA Tool and have access to tweaking the same way as FXAA?

skull.gif[Official] Delidded Crewman skull.gifCurrently Playing
Dead Space 2 | Batman Arkham Asylum | Grid AS | Mass Effect 2 | The Wolf Among Us | Max Payne 3
Finished Games
Anamoly | Home | DLC Quest | Limbo | Dead Space | Tomb Raider | Oil Rush | Legendary
The Walking Dead | Ittle Dew | Saints Row The Third | Outlast | Dyad | Max Payne | Max Payne 2
Steam Profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 1673 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
It Just Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko1 View Post

Thank you so much for your work! I was able to finally get Hot Pursuit looking exactly like I wanted it. thumb.gif
Any suggestions on the settings for sharpening? Would you say that the default are fine? I ask, because I don't see a range set for some of the options. Also, is it possible to simply drop FXAA Tool and have access to tweaking the same way as FXAA?

Values in the 0.5-1.5 range will usually do the trick unless the game is already very sharp. If you use negative values it will blur the game. As far as something like FXAA Tool's GUI is concerned, I think it may be coming to SweetFX in a future version. Ceejay can give you a more accurate answer.

post #23 of 1673 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko1 View Post

Share your SweetFX_settings.h file - I'd love to try them out in Hot Pursuit.

BTW I'm CeeJayDK in Hot Pursuit if you feel like a race... that is if you think you can take me.

I think the defaults are fine, though for Hot Pursuit I like them a little sharper so I set strength to 1.2. That's a bit a on the sharp side for Hot Pursuit but I find that it brings out the texture in the roads really well and that makes it even clearer that everything is going by really fast and I get a better sensation of speed. I play with motion blur (that's a setting in NFS:HP) turned off for the same reason, but thats a personal preference.
If you want sharp but more natural but still sharp look for NFS:HP then I suggest a strength of 1.0 (the default) or you could go even softer for a more subtle look.

Mind you - I use a 1680x1050 resolution , if you play at a different resolution then the settings need to be adjusted for that.
The reason for this is that LumaSharpen works by measuring the contrast between the current pixel it's processing and it's surrounding pixels and then it multiplies it by sharp_strength and adds it to the current pixel.

If you f.x. play at a higher resolution than me, then the contrast in the textures in NFS:HP will likely have been stretched over more pixels and the contrast between each individual pixel is therefore lower - and so you probably need to increase sharp_strength to get the same look as when using a lower resolution.

It also depends on the texture resolution you use in the game, and of course your own preference, but as a general rule between 0.2 and 2.0 and typically between 0.5 and 1.5

I plan to write more ranges in the settings file.
Oh also a hint - the ranges I do include are either hard ranges and use [ ] which means that values outside this are either not possible, ignored or completely idiotic, while values between ( ) are merely my suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post

... As far as something like FXAA Tool's GUI is concerned, I think it may be coming to SweetFX in a future version.

I don't plan to update the FXAATool GUI at the moment, but other are welcome. Violator the developer posted the source code on github so anyone can fork the project and change it so it supports SweetFX. It should only be a few simple changes that is needed, but I'd rather concentrate on improving the quality and speed of the shaders as I think it's already very easy to doubleclick the setting file, edit a line or two and save it. The GUI basically does the same, only with less freedom as you have to use the predefined increments and can't be really precise with your values if you f.x. wanted a sharp_strength of 0.925. There are no increments in the settings file - you can be as precise with the values as you want.

I think I was hoping that Violator would see the work I did with SweetFX and go "This is great - we should collaborate" and then hopefully he might extend to GUI to support SweetFX as well.

You could also make your own GUI - there are several other such GUI tools with available source on the web that could be adapted to SweetFX, but it's not a priority for me.

For now the priority is solving the problem with LumaSharpen effecting the smoothed edges that SMAA makes and improving the overall quality of the other shaders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 1673 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 83 (Unique: 67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post

I don't have Batman AC but I could reinstall Crysis and get back to you. Batman AC should work fine just like every other UE3 game. Try disabling the game's anti-aliasing and running in DX9 mode and copying the contents of Inject SMAA's DX9 folder. Let me know if that works.

Nope, nothing works frown.gif
post #25 of 1673 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 325 (Unique: 216)

Try turning everything on in the settings file. You won't see any changes if everything is disabled (which most was by default).

Quote:

#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 1
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1 //Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
#define USE_BLOOM 0      // Bloom makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings
#define USE_HDR 0       // Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR 0
#define USE_TONEMAP 0
#define USE_VIBRANCE 0 //Work in progress
#define USE_SEPIA 0
#define USE_VIGNETTE 0 //Darkens the edges of the image to make it more look like it was shoot with a camera lens

Enabling Vibrance, Vignette, and Bloom will show instant changes to verify it is working. Press Insert to toggle it on and off.

post #26 of 1673 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 325 (Unique: 216)
post #27 of 1673 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 200 (Unique: 157)
I'll post my Hot Pursuit settings later today. I actually made my own ENB out of the burnout enb and tried to get a more neutral color pallette, since the game seems to push towards blue too much. Plus with sweetfx I was able to get nights at the right brightness... which is a bit darker, since the game is so bright at night.

I also play at 2560x1440, so I'll play around with sharpening tonight. I tried the default settings and it was pretty weak, so it makes sense with your explanation. I tried setting it to max and didn't like how, as you mention, the jaggies them selves became sharper. So I'll look to find some middle ground. tongue.gif

Edit: I barely have played the game... played it to death on the xbox before I got my PC, I'll try to get back into it and add you so we can play! thumb.gif

skull.gif[Official] Delidded Crewman skull.gifCurrently Playing
Dead Space 2 | Batman Arkham Asylum | Grid AS | Mass Effect 2 | The Wolf Among Us | Max Payne 3
Finished Games
Anamoly | Home | DLC Quest | Limbo | Dead Space | Tomb Raider | Oil Rush | Legendary
The Walking Dead | Ittle Dew | Saints Row The Third | Outlast | Dyad | Max Payne | Max Payne 2
Steam Profile
post #28 of 1673 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
It Just Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyside View Post

Nope, nothing works frown.gif

Just tested Crysis 2. Make sure the game's built-in AA is disabled (I just turned it off using the maldohd config utility but there are other ways). Copy dxgi.dll (add d3d9.dll if playing in DX9 mode) to the bin32 folder and the rest of the files to the Crysis 2 folder.

For Crysis, it's a similar story. It's very important that you disable the ingame AA or the injector won't work. Additionally, make sure to run the game in 32bit mode.

post #29 of 1673 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 04:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 75 (Unique: 67)
wowzers thank you for sharing this. very informative thumb.gif

"We’ll see creation come undone,
These bones that bound us will be gone.
We’ll stare at spirits till we’re one.
The softest shadow will be gone."
- Porter Robinson

Favorite Artists (Click to show)

Porter Robinson
Daft Punk
The M Machine
Seven Lions
Kill The Noise
Noisia
Delta Heavy
Borgore
Crypsis
Zeds Dead
Datsik
Brillz
Must Die!
Black Tiger Sex Machine
Koan Sound
Hydraulix
XKore
post #30 of 1673 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
It Just Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in