[LIST] Best Story Driven Games - Page 11 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[LIST] Best Story Driven Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #101 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Since C64
 
_LDC_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 556
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieGriffs View Post

I'm surprised I haven't seen one person mention the Final Fantasy series as far as story driven games go, especially since you said you prefer fantasy over Sci-fi. Maybe it's because you're looking for modern titles and most of FF's most worth playing games are the older ones, but you should definitely give FF7 and 8 a go despite them being older games, they made a PC port so you can buy them and don't have to emulate. All the newer ones are only on consoles and are more like movies than they are games so I wouldn't recommend them to you. If you ever get a PS2 emulator on your PC running, you could give FFX and FFX-2 a go, they're worthy games as well.
being an ancient relic of the past, I played FF7 and FF8 back in the days when they were first released smile.gif
it's a shame they didn't port everything on PC, and it's even worse that they don't simply remake everything from the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saq View Post

The story is really only as good as your comprehension of understanding what is happening in it. For me, Playing through Dead Island, I had a vague idea of what was going on, but telling the story in the form of quests didn't make a hell of alot of sense, but when your back on track doing the main story quest, the side quests that you did earlier would not even have mattered, it's just filler content, its not really storyline whatsoever. The same could be said with the Mass Effect series as well, but with some of the side missions in that game, they actually give you some insight into the inner workings of areas or danger zones, or leads on certain story plot characters.
I am not sure I'm gettin' what you really mean: are you implying that the plot is somehow blurred?

Best Story Driven Games thread
The Creature 2
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
GPU
MSI RX580 8Gb Armor
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex3
Power Supply
Corsair TX550
Cooling
Arctic Freezer 12 CPU Cooler
Case
Corsair Crystal 460X
Operating System
LINUX LTS
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450
Keyboard
CoolerMaster Quickfire TK
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 100
Mousepad
Corsair MM300
▲ hide details ▲
_LDC_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 09:03 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
ArchieGriffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Zou, Grand Line
Posts: 752
Rep: 35 (Unique: 27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _LDC_ View Post

being an ancient relic of the past, I played FF7 and FF8 back in the days when they were first released smile.gif
it's a shame they didn't port everything on PC, and it's even worse that they don't simply remake everything from the ground.
When they are hurting for money they'll probably do the remakes, there's so much money in it for them it's not even funny. A remake of 7 that's done with pretty good graphics on the PC/Consoles would land it in the spot of top 5 games of the year.

That's another thing that bugs me, they have so many games I want to play but haven't yet because it's so much harder to turn on my PS1/360 than it is to turn on my PC. The way I said it sounds strange, but after you take into account having to get used to a controller again, not being able to use the same monitor, not being able to game in the same place, and not being able to use the same headset, it gets really inconvenient. Put bluntly I don't have any desire to pay for a game if it's not on PC.

ArchieGriffs is offline  
post #103 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Since C64
 
_LDC_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 556
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieGriffs View Post

The way I said it sounds strange, but after you take into account having to get used to a controller again, not being able to use the same monitor, not being able to game in the same place, and not being able to use the same headset, it gets really inconvenient. Put bluntly I don't have any desire to pay for a game if it's not on PC.
it doesn't, I think the same and don't see any valid reason to change controls when I've been piling up countless bodies in LAN parties -when the Internet didn't exist- long before most of nowadays console-players were even born.
They should simply abandon the false hope of leading me to buy a console to play a game, that ain't gonna happen: just create it for all platform and we can talk about it.

btw I won't derail my own thread, so just back to the story-driven masterpieces smile.gif

Best Story Driven Games thread
The Creature 2
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
GPU
MSI RX580 8Gb Armor
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex3
Power Supply
Corsair TX550
Cooling
Arctic Freezer 12 CPU Cooler
Case
Corsair Crystal 460X
Operating System
LINUX LTS
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450
Keyboard
CoolerMaster Quickfire TK
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 100
Mousepad
Corsair MM300
▲ hide details ▲
_LDC_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #104 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Since C64
 
_LDC_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 556
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
life always holds surprises. I decided to give non-casual playing a shot, and I thank all those who shared their advices with me as I am really enjoying my time smile.gif
so far, I've been able to finish:

- Deus Ex
- Deus Ex HR-DC
- Half Life 2
- Mass Effect 1


those I enjoyed the most are both Deus Ex and Mass Effect: I thoroughly explored every bit of the maps, discovered everything, did every single side quest ecc. It took me a lot of time, but I really feel satisfied. After I play the free ME1 dlc, will be hopping to ME2 (although I am tempted to replay the full game with a different character to get a completely different final savegame, which supposedly would give me access to a totally different gameplay in the other games).

Once I will be done with this trilogy (and already looking forward for ME4), it will be the time of Dragon Age (hopefully, Santa Steam will reward me with shining prices for these gems), because that kind of experience was exactly what I was looking for in a game and I am glad to see modern means allow to deliver.


Other than this, I've been told that "Fable" might do for me, do the gentlemen here agree?

Best Story Driven Games thread
The Creature 2
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
GPU
MSI RX580 8Gb Armor
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex3
Power Supply
Corsair TX550
Cooling
Arctic Freezer 12 CPU Cooler
Case
Corsair Crystal 460X
Operating System
LINUX LTS
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450
Keyboard
CoolerMaster Quickfire TK
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 100
Mousepad
Corsair MM300
▲ hide details ▲
_LDC_ is offline  
post #105 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 12:32 PM
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
 
boredgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 14,404
Rep: 842 (Unique: 543)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _LDC_ View Post

life always holds surprises. I decided to give non-casual playing a shot, and I thank all those who shared their advices with me as I am really enjoying my time smile.gif
so far, I've been able to finish:

- Deus Ex
- Deus Ex HR-DC
- Half Life 2
- Mass Effect 1


those I enjoyed the most are both Deus Ex and Mass Effect: I thoroughly explored every bit of the maps, discovered everything, did every single side quest ecc. It took me a lot of time, but I really feel satisfied. After I play the free ME1 dlc, will be hopping to ME2 (although I am tempted to replay the full game with a different character to get a completely different final savegame, which supposedly would give me access to a totally different gameplay in the other games).

Once I will be done with this trilogy (and already looking forward for ME4), it will be the time of Dragon Age (hopefully, Santa Steam will reward me with shining prices for these gems), because that kind of experience was exactly what I was looking for in a game and I am glad to see modern means allow to deliver.


Other than this, I've been told that "Fable" might do for me, do the gentlemen here agree?

I'm glad to see you enjoyed them properly! Great selection of games. That's what PC gaming is all about, not rushing and taking your time to experience everything games have to offer. You're right about Mass Effect, importing your save game will make drastic changes. I'll make an early apology for your wallet, which will suffer greatly due to the costs of ME2 and ME3 DLC. The story DLC is a necessity for those games, especially ME3.

Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition is often 75% off on Steam, making it $7.49. This happens during practically every sale. Ultimate Edition includes just about every expansion/DLC, with the exception of one small one that can be hard to find (I don't even remember the name of it). Dragon Age 2 isn't on Steam anymore.

As for Fable, I know very little about it so perhaps others may fill you in.

Another game I can point you to, if I haven't already, is Neverwinter Nights 2: Complete on GOG. Although the story of the base game is nothing to get worked up over, it's the expansion "Mask of the Betrayer" that brings forth some of the best writing you'll ever find in a game, right behind Planescape: Torment. That expansion however is a direct continuation of the main game, and it's recommended to import your character to it kind of like Mass Effect. So give the base game a try first, if you end up not being immersed in it then you can just skip it and go straight for the expansion. I recommend playing it after you play Dragon Age, since its gameplay is similar to Dragon Age: Origins except much harder and much more complex.
boredgunner is offline  
post #106 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Since C64
 
_LDC_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 556
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

I'm glad to see you enjoyed them properly! Great selection of games. That's what PC gaming is all about, not rushing and taking your time to experience everything games have to offer.
well it's partially due to circumstances that allow me to better organize my time now, compared to when I first created this thread, and the will to commit to some less immediate rewarding activity in spite of something a bit different but more durable.
Quote:
You're right about Mass Effect, importing your save game will make drastic changes.
on first run I went Paragon with my awesome Bastion (I felt like a Jedi!!!), I may give a try to run something very different and trying a bold Renegade...
Quote:
I'll make an early apology for your wallet, which will suffer greatly due to the costs of ME2 and ME3 DLC. The story DLC is a necessity for those games, especially ME3.
although I am sure you are right about this, I somehow don't like the very concept of DLC (it's probably just me being very old school, when games where delivered as "fully finished products") and in my opinion it's a destructive policy toward customers; it would've been different if they went as far as selling better gear, vehicles, warships ecc, but to mercilessly bind the most important part of the game, the story itself, to DLCs.... that's unfair and I am not gonna support such policy. I know I will be probably losing great content, that's fine with me, because we vote through our wallet, and they are not getting my positive vote on this.
Quote:
Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition is often 75% off on Steam, making it $7.49. This happens during practically every sale. Ultimate Edition includes just about every expansion/DLC, with the exception of one small one that can be hard to find (I don't even remember the name of it). Dragon Age 2 isn't on Steam anymore.
this is a superb news, can't wait to grasp it smile.gif
Quote:
As for Fable, I know very little about it so perhaps others may fill you in.
looking forward to it
Quote:
Another game I can point you to, if I haven't already, is Neverwinter Nights 2: Complete on GOG. Although the story of the base game is nothing to get worked up over, it's the expansion "Mask of the Betrayer" that brings forth some of the best writing you'll ever find in a game, right behind Planescape: Torment.
as an avid former dice&paper player, that brings back memories.... looks like black friday will have my wallet howling.

thanks for all your inputs smile.gif

Best Story Driven Games thread
The Creature 2
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
GPU
MSI RX580 8Gb Armor
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex3
Power Supply
Corsair TX550
Cooling
Arctic Freezer 12 CPU Cooler
Case
Corsair Crystal 460X
Operating System
LINUX LTS
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450
Keyboard
CoolerMaster Quickfire TK
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 100
Mousepad
Corsair MM300
▲ hide details ▲
_LDC_ is offline  
post #107 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:40 PM
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
 
boredgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 14,404
Rep: 842 (Unique: 543)
Regarding Mass Effect DLC, the only ones that were seemingly cut from the games on purpose in order to make an extra buck were Arrival for ME2, and Leviathan for ME3. ME3's plot is just incoherent without Leviathan, and Arrival is too important to be separate. The others are merely extra. Many of the classic RPGs had extras like this in the form of expansions, like Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, although the classic expansions offered far more content.

Since you were a fan of pen and paper RPGs, you should also check out Planescape: Torment. It has to be by far the most well-written game out there.
boredgunner is offline  
post #108 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Since C64
 
_LDC_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 556
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

Regarding Mass Effect DLC, the only ones that were seemingly cut from the games on purpose in order to make an extra buck were Arrival for ME2, and Leviathan for ME3. ME3's plot is just incoherent without Leviathan, and Arrival is too important to be separate.
will keep this in mind, thanks smile.gif
Quote:
Since you were a fan of pen and paper RPGs, you should also check out Planescape: Torment. It has to be by far the most well-written game out there.
I tried it, but although I am perfectly aware of the masterpiece we're talking about I am really unable to get into it gameplay wise. I've been able to make one time exception with Deus Ex (the first), really forcing myself into something that old (gameplay wise only, I don't care about graphic, it's a bonus when it's nice but nothing more nothing less); a thing I am unable to do with Torment.
I waiting for the new episode though, that's promising....

Best Story Driven Games thread
The Creature 2
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
GPU
MSI RX580 8Gb Armor
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex3
Power Supply
Corsair TX550
Cooling
Arctic Freezer 12 CPU Cooler
Case
Corsair Crystal 460X
Operating System
LINUX LTS
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450
Keyboard
CoolerMaster Quickfire TK
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 100
Mousepad
Corsair MM300
▲ hide details ▲
_LDC_ is offline  
post #109 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Since C64
 
_LDC_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 556
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
I've modified the title to match the content, and put a list on the first post of all the games that have been identified as having a strong focus on the story/plot. Hope it will be more useful to everyone this way.
Keep the advices coming! smile.gif

Best Story Driven Games thread
The Creature 2
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
GPU
MSI RX580 8Gb Armor
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex3
Power Supply
Corsair TX550
Cooling
Arctic Freezer 12 CPU Cooler
Case
Corsair Crystal 460X
Operating System
LINUX LTS
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450
Keyboard
CoolerMaster Quickfire TK
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 100
Mousepad
Corsair MM300
▲ hide details ▲
_LDC_ is offline  
post #110 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 06:46 AM
Never Finished
 
airisom2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Within the Milky Way
Posts: 2,108
Rep: 270 (Unique: 208)
To the Moon. The storyline in that game will give you a lot of feels.

1680 V2 4.5GHz 1.33v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + Morpheus II
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Rosewill Rise | Thermalright LGM RT
Logitech G600 | G440 | Tt Meka G-Unit Cherry MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom headphones | TEAC-UD501+Passive Preamp | Emotiva BasX A-100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | 51TB DAS | SS Prime Ultra Titanium 1KW
airisom2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off